Crashing Errors - StarGate Part of Mod - BugReports Included

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Crashing Errors - StarGate Part of Mod - BugReports Included

Post by jetnova16 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I don't know how many have taken alook at the file of Special Weapons that I have created or if anyone has even really decided they know how to help with these problems that I have found that are minor compared to what happened yesterday afternoon and evening.

All I have been working on is StarGate Ships for my mod, I only have a few added and the Ancients' GUI to actually start making a full race, I have come up with an idea to actually make it a true race. Of course the Wraith aren't apart of this since they are going to stick with Species 8472. I haven't experiemented or implimented my plan into trying to get Species 8472 crew, metal and also Dilithium yet, but now I have a few bugreports to post.

1) Yesterday before this crashing problem started, I had given the Borg Shipyards weapons, I got the idea from the armed Federation Shipyards mod that I have been using and since I've gotten it to work for all races in the game (Stock Ones) I have decided to continue doing that also. I tested the Borg Shipyards in the Map Editor and gave them targets and the weapons work just fine, there was no crashing.

2) That changed sometime yesterday morning before I posted my last post here, and yesterday evening. Between that time, I was working on creating my "Ancients" Race (Not a full Race, but a copulation of all StarGate Mods that I have except the Wraith and creating some stations out of the ships to be mining stations and orbital stations to continue gathering metal and dilithium. I also created a colony ship. None of these units are in the game yet though except what was already put into my game that belongs to StarGate.

Here is a Tech1 Breakdown of the StarGate Units in the Game Right now:
// ***[ StarGate Ships ]*************************
//
destiny.odf 3 atlantisbase.odf stargpeg.odf daedalus.odf // Destiny Class, Ancient Altarian Battleship
atlantis.odf 1 atlantisbase.odf // Atlantis Type City Ship (Atlantis = Lost City of the Ancients)
ori.odf 1 Origate.odf // Ori Mother Ship
dart.odf 1 whiveship.odf // Wraith Dart
whiveship.odf 0 // Wraith Hiveship
303.odf 0 // X303 Pre-Daedalus Class Earth Ship
daedalus.odf 1 303.odf // Daedalus Class
daedalus2.odf 0 // Daedalus Class Mk. II - USAF Atlatis (Hero Ship)
daedalus3.odf 3 atlantisbase.odf stargpeg.odf daedalus.odf // Daedalus Class Mk. II
SG1A-Enterprise.odf 0 // Enterprise Class - USAF Dreadnaught-Carrier
aurora.odf 3 atlantisbase.odf atlantis.odf stargpeg.odf // Atlantian Aurora Class Warship
puddlejumper.odf 1 atlantisbase.odf // Atlantian Puddle Jumper
F302.odf 2 303.odf daedalus.odf // F302 Fighter
zpm.odf 0 // ZPM (Zero Point Module)

// ***[ StarGate Stations ]************************
//
starg.odf 1 atlantisbase.odf // Milkyway Galaxy StarGate
stargpeg.odf 1 starg.odf // Pegusas Galaxy StarGate
Origate.odf 3 atlantisbase.odf starg.odf stargpeg.odf // Ori SuperGate
atlantisbase.odf 0 // Atlantis-Type Starbase

// ***[ StarGate Special Weapons ]*****************
//
orieventhor.odf 0 // StarGate Event Horizon for the Ori
eventhor.odf 0 // Pegusas & Milkyway Galaxies' StarGate's Event Horizon
ancientshield.odf 0 // Ancient Shield for Ancient Vessels
gwdarts.odf 0 // Launch Wraith Darts
gwraithcullingbeam.odf 0 // Wraith Planetary Culling Beam
gwraithcolbeam.odf 0 // Wraith Planetary Transporting Beam
gwraithhullregeration.odf 0 // Wraith Hull Regeneration
mthrust.odf 0 // x303 & Daedalus Class Military Thrust
asgardbeam.odf 0 // Asgard Beam Weapons
gF302.odf 0 // Launch F302 Fighter Squadron
azpmdst.odf 0 // ZPM Self-Destruct

3) Yesterday morning, the last thing I added to the game was just a Weapon File, it is for the Goa'uld and it is a Pulse Weapon with their weapon sound. I have all the required textures in the game and that includes the sound, just I haven't added any Goa'uld ships yet that are using the weapon. THe weapon coding is below:

Code: Select all

#include "pulse.odf"

//Name of the ODF file for the ordinance for this weapon
ordName = "ctpulseo"

//Display name for this weapon
wpnName = "Goa'uld Starship Weapon"

//Time Delay between shots
shotDelay = 2.0

// Range within which the weapon will fire.
range = 800.0f

// Percent chance of hitting the target.
//Can be applied to specific ships in format default "shipname.odf" 0.9 (this is a percentage)
hitChance = 1.0

// Restrict the Fire Arc
restrictFireArc = 0

//Sound which is played when the weapon fires
fireSound = "goauldfire.wav"

This is the only other additon to the game before going to my local library, I didn't test the game after adding this file because with no ship currently in the game using it, I didn't feeli it was neccessary yet. So the only test I haven't run is to remove this file, after all, the included pulse file is already in the game too.

The only other change between the time of this crash and from the morning was readding the Military Thrust Special Weapon that I removed because I didn't like the one I had before so I found a different one in another mod for the Daedalus Class and I noticed that one does work for I can test the game in the Map Editor still, the crash occurs after I close the editor and return to the desktop.

Code: Select all

//Display name for this weapon
wpnName = "Military Thrust"

//tooltips
tooltip = "Military Thrust"
verboseTooltip = "Full Sublight"

//Location of the button in the speed panel
buttonSlot = 3

// Mark this as a special weapon.
special = 1

// Priority of button in the speed panel, this is only
// used if it is non-zero.
buttonPriority = 5

//Type of border to use for this button.
//0 = No border.
//1 = Offensive border.
//2 = Defensive border.
buttonBorder = 2

//Time Delay between shots
shotDelay = 3.0

// Range within which the weapon will fire.
range = 400.0f

//Sound which is played when the weapon fires
fireSound = "speedBoost.wav"

//Programming Stuff DO NOT CHANGE
classLabel = "speed_boost"

// Special energy cost for the weapon enhancer
specialEnergyCost = 6

speedModifier = 2.0

//this special weapon can be assimilated by the borg tech assimilator
assimilatable = "carpod8"
4) After encountering this crash, I started to try and solve the problem. I checked all shipyards, (you'll see why in the bugreport) that didn't do anything. I checked all the sound entries for my game and they to are there. I have also checked the mobile shipyards (AKA: Carriers). I mostly checked the units that I already edited before this crash that were edited that day. But after each edit, I checked every change for problems through the Mpa Editor and then in a game. This crash never occured up until about 6:30 PM yesterday night.

Given these changes and how they work in the Map Editor, I don't get how they could be responsible for this crashing problem to occur, but the thing is these crashing problems weren't happening until after these edits were made. Going back and replacing the edited files with backups didn't help either, ok the weapons were still in the backups but thet is because they were working, minus the fact I still ahven't tested teh Goa'uld Weapon.

The promised BugReports that I have continued to mention in this posting are uploaded to Mega Upload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2YTMI50G

Methos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Methos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 pm

If your crashing only when closing the map editor it happens. It's just something to do with the 1.2.5. patch.

On another note it doesn't hurt to strip out every sod,tex,odf,and sound files that you don't need to run your A2 game or mod.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:05 am

Methos wrote:If your crashing only when closing the map editor it happens. It's just something to do with the 1.2.5. patch.

On another note it doesn't hurt to strip out every sod,tex,odf,and sound files that you don't need to run your A2 game or mod.
I found and solved the problem, it was actually the Goa'uld Weapon. The one thing I thought it wasn't. The file has this text: (this is a percentage) but in the coding posting with it below, you can't tell this but it was its own line in both half screen and full screen viewing in Notepad so once I figured that out (usually don't view weapons in full screen), I just removed the text all together on that and then I put the file back into the game but I also increased the strength of the ctpulseo.odf file by renaming it to goauldpulseo.odf and edited the distance and strength. I played the game and then it didn't crash on loading, it also didn't crash after using the Map Editor

Methos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Methos » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:28 am

Yeh lots of fun tracking down a crash problem.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Methos wrote:Yeh lots of fun tracking down a crash problem.

I know. This one took 24 hours and the whole time each time I thought the game was going crazy since it worked in the Map Editor.

I think I know why the crash affected loading any race in Instant Action, the weapon included the Cardassian Pulse Phaser as its ordinance so some races do have a mix of weaponry thanks to a little idea I had, one that works though - building enemy vessels but it’s a personal copy for that race some weapon changes but that is mostly specials only.