Are these ideas possible for Spanning the Generations?

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Are these ideas possible for Spanning the Generations?

Post by jetnova16 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:59 pm

More and more as I think about undertaking this massive additions/change to my Star Trek Armada II Mod, I keep wondering if certain things can actually be possible, I know that they might be possible for the person playing the game, but I was hoping that the AI can also do this. I would like some advice on completing this idea if it is possible or on how to possibly make it possible.

Ok, here is what I want to do:

1) Of course I want to span the Generations from the NX-01 until the distant future of Star Trek (2151 – say about 2381 and the Caeliar or 2400 (possibly where the USS Premonition is from).

2) For each Generation, I would like to have different hero ships come into play. How do I make this happen without having to actually have multiple races of the same name using the different ODF file for their race (ex. Fed.odf)? I was thinking about having certain stations set to only being built once and when they are built, they spawn the hero ship when they are built (Like how Mining Stations also build a freighter and Trading Stations a Cargo Ship). How do I make certain stations do this and actually spawn the Hero ship?

3) Some of my races have an extra race to them (Romulans – Remans) (Cardassians – Dominion – Breen – Son’a) (Federations – Vulcans). For each of these additional races, there is actually a Research Pod that can bring them into existence, but I actually have them as separate races, is it possible to combine them together well keeping them to their separate Race.odf file? (Because some of these races will still play as individual races, their techtrees won’t really be changed; just after being researched in one race they are able to become a part of that race too.

4) For the StarGate Units in my Mod, I want to actually make a Total Conversion of the game as well and remove all things that are related to Star Trek (except the planets, moons, nebulas, etc). In this total conversion which would be on the side of my mod (as in a separate mod), I want to have these races: (A.) Tau’ri/Ancients (B.) Asgard (C.) Milky Way & Pegasus Galaxy Replicators (D.) Goa’uld (E.) Ori (F.) Wraith.

For this StarGate Mod, I would like to know what original Star Trek Armada II files could actually be safely removed from the game because I want to get rid of the campaigns, the tutorials, everything except Instant Action and to actually make a new campaign that is only based on StarGate.

Also, I know these modders aren’t possibly in the Star Trek Armada II Community anymore, but those StarGate mods that I have seen on the File Front Forums that are actually complete mods (just not released) as in they have in game ready units that haven’t been released to the community, I personally believe that even though that those mods were never completed that they should be released to the Armada II Community and at least given the chance to become part of a full StarGate Mod. For now, I just want to use those mods in my personal mod and if anyone is interested in actually helping out in creating a StarGate Total Conversion Mod for Armada II, I am willing to form a group that would do just that.

Here are what kinds of people that would be needed:

Those who can create the models in MS3D and convert them to SOD.

Possibly those who can convert some StarGate units from other games into usable material for Star Trek Armada II.

I myself can come up with the weapons, create the ODF files and possibly depending on what software will be needed create the bitmaps, and build buttons, I am getting pretty good at using “TgaTool2” to create build buttons, some of which I have noticed can also work as Wireframes. I can even write the story for the Campaign and given a little help in creating the missions could actually get three Campaigns. (Tau’ri/Ancients against the Goa’uld, Ori and Wraith, The Asgard against the Replicators (with a little Tau’ri assistance), and the finally the Wraith against the Pegasus Replicators (they will be allied with the Tau’ri/Ancients just like in the Atlantis episode “StarGate Atlantis - S04E011 - Be All My Sins Remember'd”

Please, hopefully some in the Armada II Community will be willing to help me bring the StarGate franchise to the Armada Community in the form of a Total Conversion Mod. Thank you for reading this and your consideration into this project.

Methos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Methos » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:54 pm

1- Not sure if it was ever released but someone was working on a generation mod for A2 back in the day. Feds,Vulcan,Roms,Kling,Gorn and a few other races. Think it was called Birth of the Federation {Not talking about the game of that name}of something like that.

2-freightername = "cfreight" This is the line you add to the station.
2-maxcap = 3 This is from Fleetops,it may work in A2

3-I don't think it's possible to do in A2. You'd need to make renamed copies
of the races,ships,and stations.

As for removing files,these are the ones I know of tyed to the campaign.
Dynamic_Localized_Strings
BNZ
Objectives
Missions
AI

Also I think the main one files that asks for the mission stuff is GAME_CFG

But the think is you have a Armada2 tex file that lists mission stuff and I don't know if it can be edited safely.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Methos wrote:1- Not sure if it was ever released but someone was working on a generation mod for A2 back in the day. Feds,Vulcan,Roms,Kling,Gorn and a few other races. Think it was called Birth of the Federation {Not talking about the game of that name}of something like that.

2-freightername = "cfreight" This is the line you add to the station.
2-maxcap = 3 This is from Fleetops,it may work in A2

3-I don't think it's possible to do in A2. You'd need to make renamed copies
of the races,ships,and stations.

As for removing files,these are the ones I know of tyed to the campaign.
Dynamic_Localized_Strings
BNZ
Objectives
Missions
AI

Also I think the main one files that asks for the mission stuff is GAME_CFG

But the think is you have a Armada2 tex file that lists mission stuff and I don't know if it can be edited safely.
I have actually downloaded and used some units from Birth of the Federation, but in a mod as its own, it wasn't what I was looking for when it came to spanning the generations, it didn't even have the Romulans so as it is, it I would consider it a failure as a Spanning The Generations Mod (no offesne to the modders who created it though) since it has no units that could have even taken place during the Earth-Romulan War for the Romulans before the Federation was founded in 2161 (ENT Season 4 - These Are The Voyages - Federation founded 10 Years after the Enterprise NX-01 was first launched 2161 - 2151 = 10). - Lets just say that I am picky, very picky when it comes to mods that I choose to use, they almost have to mee a certain criteria that I have set forth for my mod.

I thought the freighter line only worked for Mining Stations, it will work for non-mining stations as well? Maybe I should give it a try.

Can you explain more about what "maxcap = 3" would equal, when it comes to Fleet Ops, I have only heard of the Maxbuild Code and the Repalce Weapon, (of course they don't have a good fighter code for Armada II but I'm still coming up with ideas around the replace weapon idea for fighters, I don't want to control the fighters just have them like the Cardassian drone special weapon).

I have got other races building certain ships that belong to other races, mostly they are the ones that are set in the techtree with no other needed unit for it to be built. This has worked fine in my Aramda II game. I just want to up it and have the construction ships possiblky get built first by another race, (AK Reman construction ship for the Romulans, Son'a, Dominion and Breen for the Cardassian). The only reason to not change the tech1 file and the names of the buildable races is an attempt to keep the original sounds.

For Removing files, I meant wheich ODF, SOD, and Textures. What ones can be remobved and which ones cannot so that planets, nebulas, astroids, (map objects) stay but there is nothing there for the ships and some weapons.

Methos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Methos » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 pm

freightername = "cfreight" Even tryed scoutname to build a scout from a starbase and no go.
Odd that they had it listed for future use on the trade stations.

Never mind the maxcap thing I found the A2 one,tested and works.

//Maximum of ships or stations in game
maxBuildableNumber = 2

Yeh that works too,thought you wanted them to have unique ship/station files.

The weapon tex/sod will be listed in the Ws .

For the sods just use the offical A2 sod viewer (not the UTMV) to weed out all the stuff you know you don't want.
As there is just way too many files to list for deleting

Go thru the odfs for the stuff you don't want and find the matching sods.
As long as you stick with the race stuff you shouldn't delete anything important.

Things you do want to keep are the L to R sods, Planet files in the station folder and almost everything in the Other folder.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Methos wrote:freightername = "cfreight" Even tryed scoutname to build a scout from a starbase and no go.
Odd that they had it listed for future use on the trade stations.

Never mind the maxcap thing I found the A2 one,tested and works.

//Maximum of ships or stations in game
maxBuildableNumber = 2

Yeh that works too,thought you wanted them to have unique ship/station files.

The weapon tex/sod will be listed in the Ws .

For the sods just use the offical A2 sod viewer (not the UTMV) to weed out all the stuff you know you don't want.
As there is just way too many files to list for deleting

Go thru the odfs for the stuff you don't want and find the matching sods.
As long as you stick with the race stuff you shouldn't delete anything important.

Things you do want to keep are the L to R sods, Planet files in the station folder and almost everything in the Other folder.
The code works on Trading Stations because I got that one active too.

Nothing really unique, I just want the races to be able to build their counterparts too.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 am

I am having a new problem with this mod, the Spanning The Generations Mod, today/tonight was the day to add the additions to the game from the File that I created to hold all the additions and added them all into the game (I have a .ZIP Back Up of the pre-version of the game before the mods additions were added so I haven't lost the game and that it is still playable if I unzip it).

I have created a .ZIP file for the Mods additions for anyone that wants to see it and will be gladly send it to them for them to test. I also have a .ZIP of the game with all my additions in it as well, I can also send that to those who are interested. Instead of posting my download links here for this mod though (since it has other peoples work in the file and I don't want to release it without their permission as a public linked download) I am looking for those that I can trust to look at this mod to see what the problem is by contacting me and requesting the files.

Thank you for your help and I greatly appreciate it.

Ok, here is more on the error that I am trying to report, and as of right now, I am having problems uploading both the .ZIP files that I mentioned but I will keep trying on those.

1) The Game will not load:
a. Instant Action
b. The Campaigns
c. the Map Editor

All of three of those actions do not load any more after adding the Modded additions to the game. The loading bar only gets to about a quarter of the way in before it freezes and then the game doesn't crash it just sits there. I have to do "CTRL, ALT, DEL" and go to the Task Manager and then find out that Star Trek Armada II has stopped working.

2) I still have to go hunting for certain Weapon Files from the KA2 The General War Mod, The Birth of The Federation Mod and to also make sure that all the files have the correct information in the Sprites files but I was hoping that getting some Bug Reports and Crashes would tell me what ships or stations were missing weapons or other major needed files and textures.

3) The last things that I still need to do is to create the Hero Ship Research Files and to fully set the mod to allow only the techtrees to begin at the Enterprise Era of the mod and start working its way up. (Thanks to the chart that SquireJames gave me I have a few ideas for what to do there. Lastly for the individual races, I need to give them their Enterprise Era hero ships for them to start out with instead of their TNG/DS9/Voy Era ships.

4) After all of these problems are fixed, I can get started on the Mods AI files but for testing purposes, I was hoping to play against the Remans or Species 8472 (the only two races that don't have an Ent Era through to the future). This would allow me to find the individual races that are having errors still, but I can't do that with the game not loading.

Ok, now to what I believe, I would have to think that the Tech1.tt, Fulltech.tt, GUI_Global.spr, Weapons.spr or one of the files in the "Other Folder" might be the problem that I am having right now. I think it would have to really do more with the Tech1.tt, Fulltech.tt and or the GUI_Global Files first since they are usually the culprits for this type of loading error when the loading only gets to a quarter in then freezes. The only questioning factor to that is it is happening to all the races in the game, not just the ones that have been edited for the mod. So below in the download link I am providing the Tech1.tt, Fulltech.tt, GUI_Gloabal.spr, and the Weapons.spr files. I am also including the Events.DAT File as well. If you need some others to figure out this error, please let me know and I will provide it in future posts when I reply to your suggestions.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B1E8GLF0