Megadroid's Mission Mod v1.0.0 released

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Megadroid's Mission Mod v1.0.0 released

Post by Dominus_Noctis »

Hi everybody,
Maybe you remember back a few years ago when Megadroid announced his mission mod? If not - a little refresher:

The Mission Mod allows any modder to create totally brand new missions (singleplayer AND multiplayer) for Armada II and Fleet Operations with a relatively easy to use structure made in Lua by Megadroid.

Missions can be made to be more complex than those released by retail A2, so get cracking! See you on the battlefield :)

Comments and suggestions for new features can be made on the Fleet Ops forums. Original news post here: http://www.fleetops.net/component/optio ... msg178198/
jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 »

To bad I can't reply to the post or ask my questions because of another ban that shouldn't have been given to me. I have already agreed with Majestic not to post in threads that he has and he has also agreed to do the same for me, thus courteously he and I solved our problems.

Plus I saw the post by Doca_Cola saying I was warned multiple times, that is not the case for I was warned about double posting if I can post with in the same reply. The funny thing is after I was given that warning, I saw other Fleet Ops forum users double posting still and makes me wonder why they weren't given any warning about it.

It makes me feel that I was targetted for being banned for a minor settled disagreement.

(Sorry about posting here Major Payne for this, but the PM system doesn't seem to be working (keep getting this: "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form") and I can't find any other means of getting the message acrossed without me being able to recieve a reply or knowledge that it was recieved. I won't let this kind of posting happen again though.)
MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne »

I'll let this one go this time jetnova.
Dominus. Hows about uploading it here or at A2files.com so that a greater "audience" can benefit??
Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis »

About uploading: well, currently it is hosted on Fleet Ops - if you want to download it and host it here, you are welcome by all means :). A2files hasn't accepted my file submissions for some time, and rarely even accepts the news submissions I send on a semi regular basis, so I'm a bit out of patience there. I don't think I'm yet ready to keep track of mirrors for keeping files up to date myself, so I think it's better for those interested to host it on their own websites if that's reasonable. Again, you are more than welcome to host it here if you so choose :)

FO.net gets quite some traffic, and those that are interested in creating missions have to go to the guide in any case for documentation, so the colocalization isn't so bad I hope javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

In regard to Jetnova: He has ~300 days to think about changing his behavior ... again.
jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 »

Dominus_Noctis wrote:In regard to Jetnova: He has ~300 days to think about changing his behavior ... again.
A 300 day ban will make the ban be lifted on/in July, and ironically that is about when my last 300 day ban ended. That, like before is going to make it next to impossible to solve all of the confusing Bug Reports that I have/get.

I don't see how behavior was or is an issue. I was respect and actually polite in asking Majestic to keep MSFC out of his posts or even advertising his site after he had PMed me about "MSFC not existing and to not think about mentioning it in posts". He mentioned in a thread that I started and I nicely asked that he doesn't. After that he sent me a PM and we settled it there. His decision was/is not to write in any of my threads that I have started and the same goes for me for any threads that he mentions MSFC in. See, .... settled.

I don't see any other issues Domimus. There was the one with double posting, but I have started combining my posts together where/when ever possible (I even did it here on this site with another thread that I started.)

I seriously actually like to know where else my behavior was/needs changing? (possibly if possible, can you e-mail me instead of posting it here?, this is off topic).
Terra_Inc
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Terra_Inc »

Dominus_Noctis wrote:A2files hasn't accepted my file submissions for some time, and rarely even accepts the news submissions I send on a semi regular basis, so I'm a bit out of patience there.
Oh, really? 8O I didn't see any the last times I checked. Lemme see...
EDIT: Indeed, there it is. I've put it up. I haven't seen any files, though, care to resubmit?
Dominus_Noctis wrote:FO.net gets quite some traffic, and those that are interested in creating missions have to go to the guide in any case for documentation, so the colocalization isn't so bad I hope javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Meh, I just hope enough people can figure LUA out until Chris manages to build that graphical editor he's been mentioning. I think the API will mostly help those w/ programming experience, and I really don't know how many of these we have in the community.

MAP, please excuse this off-topic rant. I'm not going to repeat me.

Jetnova, the one single most important thing you need to learn is that you, and only you, have all of the knowledge necessary to fix your problems. All we can do is make blind guesses. You have your install and you know what you've changed. How do you think did the early modders learn? They didn't have anyone to ask or scream at for not solving all their problems. They had to learn by experimentation and observation. Before you can tackle a large mod such as a TC, you need to collect experience. It took me three years of continuous modding work before I even tried to go to work on my own TC, and even now I make mistakes. The difference between you and me is that I have enough experience to figure out my errors on my own. Now how did I do that? I did not post lengthy bug reports. I did things and observed which errors I make. Most of them were and still are spelling errors, and they are easy to find. I looked at others' work and compared it with my own. What did they do to make things work? I didn't even have to ask them, I downloaded their mods and compared. And although I often scratched my head and screamed at my computer, but I eventually found the bugs and learned how to avoid doing them. If I completely screwed up, then I'd go ask the community. I didn't overwhelm them with mostly meaningless bug reports and wall-of-text attacks. I made it short and clear and included all necessary details, but not more. I usually received useful help. Politeness works both ways, you know. Eventually, through all my learning and befriending people in the community, I managed to become one of the community's more prominent modders.
If you have bugs and don't know how to solve them, that means that you aren't as experienced a modder as you think you are. Go slow. Calm down. If you can't do the basics, you can't go advanced. I know you claim to know the basics, but the trail of bug reports you leave wherever you go shows me that you don't. That's not something to be ashamed of. We all started there. If someone who has been in the community for a long time tells you that you are doing it wrong, he doesn't just say that because he is evil and doesn't want you do complete your work. He says it because it comes from the experience of hundreds of projects. No one in the community has evil intentions, whether you believe it or not.
Modders do everything they do for free, and in their free time. None of them are obliged to do what they do. If they release content and give advice, we should be grateful and be friendly and polite to them. Respect is not something you deserve, it's something you earn. If you don't mind me saying so, you haven't done a lot to earn respect. An easy way to gain respect is play by people's rules. Give credit for people's work. If required, ask for permission. Failing to do so will very quickly make you an enemy of everyone in the community. Be aware of the fact that the people you've been screaming and throwing tantrums at were the very people whose work you've been using. And maybe when your ban is lifted again you will have learned how to behave.

Don't even bother screaming at me or accusing me of being rude or racist. You doing so would just prove my point.
Hellkite
Captain
Captain
Location: In a Valkrye-starfighter bringing hell to the enemies of the USS Midway because hell just wont wait

Post by Hellkite »

Well said Terra_Inc
MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne »

I think this has got to be perhaps the third time I've had to lock a thread for people starting to take it off topic. It is going to be the last.