Adding races to A1

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

eddy94
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Adding races to A1

Post by eddy94 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi,

have been trying to add extra races to A1 for ages now with little success, I've worked out that it can't be done via sprites & odf editing. To do this it that the game must be decompiled and edited in the Assembler laungage... this could also adjust the registry setting (I think thats what they're called) so that the game will work on Windows 7 and 64Bit operating systems.

Does any have any ideas on how I could do this or know anyone that could do this?

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Your closest bet would be the fleet ops team. However, I doubt that they will take time off to do this for Armada 1. Perhaps asking them for a few pointers and direction might help. I would personally love to see this work in a full-featured way. I'm fairly certain, however, that this is not a simple fix such as editing the number of slots in instant action. There is plenty of code involved there I think.

eddy94
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by eddy94 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:11 pm

I'll see if they'll point me in the right direction. I'm looking for anyone how might know of a open source decompilier and compilier or any tutorail, resources etc. I know this isn't a quick fix and might not be possible for a novice to fix completely but I think it's worth a try :)
eddy94

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Definitely agree about giving it a try :) Good luck! If nothing else, you'll probably learn a great deal.

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:03 am

I've never had to say this so far, but I would not even begin to try - I know that sounds incredibly negative, but there are some good reasons:

First, as I understand it, it is illegal to decompile A1. If you want to make something for others to use, you'll have to go into it by writing hooks. This is a very arduous and complex process which takes many years to learn (not even considering that there is no source available for A1, so interpreting functions is hugely complex) - if you have no experience in coding this will be very hard indeed.

Second, the reasons that A1 are incompatible with most modern software is the extremely ancient render, sound engine, etc - to get A1 to run properly on modern machines will require writing your own DX workaround as well as upgrading the sound engine, which is something that requires its own very special skills.

There are many tutorials available on the web for writing hooks, but unless you are prepared to spend more than a decade learning how these tools work when A1 calls functions, you should not begin with such an overly complex and fruitless task. It is best to start by trying to code your own game, or looking at the work of others - A1 has no source available, and so there is an extremely large barrier to making any headway into altering its hardcoding.

eddy94
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by eddy94 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:10 pm

I know it's not going to be easy and with little chance of success but even if it doesn't work I'm quite keen to learn the assembler laungage. Plus i have a few friends who are experienced with assembler and might help of if it all blows up in my face
eddy94