Windows 7 & Star Trek Armada II (& Armada I)

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Windows 7 & Star Trek Armada II (& Armada I)

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:29 am

Now that I got the only problem that I couldn't test on my old laptop which was Windows Vista and now that I can play the game (Armada II) again (and Armada I), I would like to know what problems others have had well playing these two games on computers using Windows 7 since I now have that version of Windows.

I was just playing Star Trek Armada II and well massing a fleet of Yorktown-class Battlecruisers for the Pre-Federation Era, the game just froze. Even the music stopped. I had to use "CTRL" "ALT" "DEL" to end the game because Armada II wasn't responding. At that time, I found out that IMVU also had stopped responding and crashed on its own. These two problems might or might not be connected but it has made me courious about what problems others have had playing A1 & A2 on Windows 7.

(1) Shortened Problem:
Well massing a fleet of Yorktown-class Battlecruisers for the Pre-Federation Era, the game just froze. Even the music stopped.

(2) Future Question:
Is there any plans for a patch to keep both Star Trek Armada I & II working on Windows 7 and also on the soon to be released (possibly this summer) Windows 8?

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 pm

With Armada 2 I have experienced some problems with WIndows 7 which I am trying to figure out.

1 - When I have ALOT of ships for the federation side when I select a fleet and tell it to do something I hear every ship respond.

2 - For some reason when I try to use the nebulas from the space conversion mod now, I get a "bug" report.

3 - The game slowing down and then speeding up periodically.

Other than those 3 so far, after I took the remans, hirogen, and vulcans off its been running perfectly
I WOULD PREFER THAT YOU SUFFERED IN YOUR LAST SECONDS ON EARTH, SUFFERED THE TORMENT OF A THOUSAND YEARS OF AGONY, BUT I MUST ACT! DIE GUYVER!
Aptom Fighting Guyver-1 of datas 1-12

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Angilas wrote:With Armada 2 I have experienced some problems with WIndows 7 which I am trying to figure out.

1 - When I have ALOT of ships for the federation side when I select a fleet and tell it to do something I hear every ship respond.

2 - For some reason when I try to use the nebulas from the space conversion mod now, I get a "bug" report.

3 - The game slowing down and then speeding up periodically.

Other than those 3 so far, after I took the remans, hirogen, and vulcans off its been running perfectly

I have always had the selected ships always respond to a given order, actually, the entire Numbered Fleet does it. This was always in the stock version of the game, and every mod that I have installed or tried separately. It even occurs in my StarGate Armada - StarGate Rise To Power Mod, I have come to believe that this is a normal occurrence and is supposed to happen.

I never heard of the "Space Conversion Mod" so I can't figure out what you mean. I have "Vanilla Ultimate 2.0" which has used the "Midnight Universe Mod" for all the aspects that have to deal with planets, nebulas, suns and really just space in general.

Even on Windows Vista, I have had the game slow down and speed up. I believe it has something to do with too many high poly models being active at once (it doesn't matter if you or the AI have them active), they just slow down the game, especially during major combat situations.

As for the Hirogen, Remans, and the Vulcans, I have them in my game and there isn't any problems whatsoever with them. I don't know why they are causing you problems but even on Windows Vista, they were fine for me. Maybe they are working fine for me because my game is transferred over to my Windows 7 laptop by being a .ZIP backup of the game (my modded game) from Windows Vista. I would like to hear more about your problems with the Hirogen, Remans and Vulcans. It could be a conflicting error with any other mod that you are using and not related to Windows 7.

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:15 pm

The Remans and Hirogen were fine, my only problem with the Vulcans was that with anyother race I couldnt colonize planets. But I am working on that.

But with the voices, mine always had one voice respond instead of 16.

As for the space conversion this is the mod I was talikn about - http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Space ... Pack;54798
I WOULD PREFER THAT YOU SUFFERED IN YOUR LAST SECONDS ON EARTH, SUFFERED THE TORMENT OF A THOUSAND YEARS OF AGONY, BUT I MUST ACT! DIE GUYVER!

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Angilas wrote:The Remans and Hirogen were fine, my only problem with the Vulcans was that with anyother race I couldnt colonize planets. But I am working on that.

But with the voices, mine always had one voice respond instead of 16.

As for the space conversion this is the mod I was talikn about - http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Space ... Pack;54798
That mod looks pretty good, I happen to like Midnight Universe that is incorporated into this:
Armada II Upgrade Project, Vanilla Ultimate (V 2.0.0)
http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Armad ... mate;95978

Midnight Universe (2.00)
http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Midni ... erse;85183

Which Version of the Vulcan Full Race Mod are you using? There are two versions and I don't remember if I had problems with the first version, but I did switch right over to the second version instead.:

This is the First Version:
Vulcan Full Race (1.0)
http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Vulca ... Race;96181

This is the Second Version:
Vulcan Full Race (1.1)
http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Vulca ... Race;97720

I don't know why with the Vulcans why you are having problems with Colonizing planets. Is this with any of the games' races or just with the Vulcans? Has the AI been able to colonize planets?

Even though you may not be modding or using Fleet Operations (I have their Patch Project 1.2.5 Patch which is really a must have for playing Armada II on Windows Vista and Windows 7) and at times, I have been pointed in the direction of their "Hitchhiker's Guide To Fleet Operations" for help because they also have Stock information in the guide including ODF Commands.

Here are some pages related to Colonies and Colonization. I hope that they are able to help you out.

Colony:
http://guide.fleetops.net/guide/modding ... aft/colony

ColonizerPod:
http://guide.fleetops.net/guide/guide/m ... lonizerpod

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 pm

I will have to check out midnights stuff thanks!

As for the Vulcans I am using 1.1. At first I thought it was just the vulcans themselves so I editted the mod so they couldnt build colony ships, but then when I either gave them and other races planets via the map editor or went to colonize with the fed, kling, or even roms I kept getting a bug report

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Angilas wrote:I will have to check out midnights stuff thanks!

As for the Vulcans I am using 1.1. At first I thought it was just the vulcans themselves so I editted the mod so they couldnt build colony ships, but then when I either gave them and other races planets via the map editor or went to colonize with the fed, kling, or even roms I kept getting a bug report
You must be using the Fleet Ops Patch Project 1.2.5 Patch to get a Bug Report because without, there are no Bug Reports/Exception Files.

Do you have a copy of the Bug Reports? If so, please Post these Sections:

Code: Select all

Main ($3528):

stack dump:
And if this part exists:

disassembling:
Those are the main sections of the Bug Reports that tell the important Information. It may just be Colonization is the moment the game is crashing, but not the true cause. I had a problem with Trading Stations crashing the game once and the Bug Reports never mentioned any Trading Station as the cause but when ever they were built by both myself and the AI, the game would crash.

For that problem, it turned out that the "Dominion Ulimate Mod" had some ODF problem that was easily missed.

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestion I shall try that out when I add the races again. As for the 1.2.5 mod I do have it.

Also I wanted to add the Dominion but dont know which mod is the best to download. I have tried a few only to get a bug reports. In your own opinion which is the best to download and manually install?

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Angilas wrote:Thanks for the suggestion I shall try that out when I add the races again. As for the 1.2.5 mod I do have it.

Also I wanted to add the Dominion but dont know which mod is the best to download. I have tried a few only to get a bug reports. In your own opinion which is the best to download and manually install?
I was using Dominion Ultimate, have to use all of its parts just to actually fully get it working so I also got the Breen like that. But I don't use that mod anymore, instead I have bits and peices of it being used in a new race that is played as the Cardassians but is called "The Dominion Alliance". It uses the ships mostly seen in Star Trek Deep Space Nine during the Dominion War. Doing this freed up the option of having 2 additional races and 1 stock race that were really combined as an Alliance.

Also though, I am using the Cardassian Full Race Replacement Mod (both parts). This actually makes the Cardassians look more like the ones seen in Deep Space Nine.

Cardassian Full Race (1.0)
http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Carda ... Race;99274

Cardassian Full Race Expansion Pack (1.0)
http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Carda ... ack;100554

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Nice, I just downloaded the Cardassians to test them out.

As for the Dominion, I have to dl Dom Ult, 1.1, 1.1 patch, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1 correction, Extention, and Station pack?

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Angilas wrote:Nice, I just downloaded the Cardassians to test them out.

As for the Dominion, I have to dl Dom Ult, 1.1, 1.1 patch, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1 correction, Extention, and Station pack?
Everything that is listed for Dominion Ultimate is needed just to get it to work, but they share major files with other mods. Its extremely hard to manually install it.

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 pm

which means ill have to back up my current mods and copy and paste the stock files. that or wait til the end of the semestor to install it. but hey if it means i can have a race im not bored playing with it will be worth it.

and thank the gods for high-speed internet. downloaded everything Dom Ultimate except the extention which is downloading as i type this

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Angilas wrote:which means ill have to back up my current mods and copy and paste the stock files. that or wait til the end of the semestor to install it. but hey if it means i can have a race im not bored playing with it will be worth it.

and thank the gods for high-speed internet. downloaded everything Dom Ultimate except the extention which is downloading as i type this
Its easy to figure out the new ODF files from the stock. Its hunting, then trial & error for the Weapons.spr file for all the Dominion related weapons. The trouble is with the Textures. They have many different ones, some for other mods, some stock. I used MS3D to find the needed textures but I also had the SOD Exporter/Importer for MS3D to use.

Most of the files that do get overwriten for the ODF files with "Dominion Ultimate" don't cause any problems, especially the weapons files.

Here is a hint for the Textures, don't Overwrite any of them and the ones that do get added to the Textures/RGB folder are what you need minus some extras.

If you are using Ghost's Federation Mod, there is other needed files just to get Dominion Ultimate to work correctly and since I didn't use that I never had to worry about it. Apparently not many mods are compatible with Ghost's Federation Mod, its best to use that as a stand-alone game and mod a seperate version with everything else you want to use. When I first started modding, I was told to stay away from that mod, one person that isn't even in the Armada Community anymore offered to make my mod for me to quickly get all the ships I wanted that would be offered in Ghost's Federation Mod, instead, I hunted for the needed files and made my own mod, learning as I went.

I got the UpGrading Idea from Ghost's Federation Mod and that works, everything else in my mod isn't from that mod.

For creating my Star Trek Armada II - Spanning The Generations Mod, I am on my third (3rd) attempt with it (after the first time I learned to do periodic backups to save my work to go back if needed). I still blame Dominion Ultimate for my first bout of crashing errors, the a mod that was a TMP Era Starfleet Mod. Right now, I'd still say I'm not a master at modding, but I do have some exsperience from all the problems I have encountered, there are still unsolvable ones, lol.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:46 am

What do you think about the Cardassians Full Race Replacement Mod? One thing, you might want to be careful and not use the Exspansion Packs' GUI Interface because it kind of looks awkward. Just don't change the files that set up the GUI Interface.

Also, any other problems?

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:41 am

Everytime I play Star Trek Armada II on Windows 7 and I finish a game and return to my desktop, I am given an error message before I am able to fully exit the game's directory or sometimes after I close the game's directory. Here is a screen shot of this error message.

What Does This Error Mean? (This Is Using Windows 7 x64 Bit Edition.)