3d Max Question

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

3d Max Question

Post by pepperman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 am

For the various mods that include updates to planets, how do you control the rotational speed on the respective layers (surface, clouds, atmosphere). I have been trying (key word is trying) to learn Max and can't seem to get this to work properly. The concept seems simple enough: (1) create their spheres, each with their respective textures; and (2) animate each with different time hacks. For example, I created the planet earth and applied the texture. Then animated it using 4 keys, each key having a 90 degree roatation and a time hack of 600. The total annimation being 2400 and exported it out. Looked pretty good, although the rotation seemed a little jagged. Next I created a second sphere slightly larger than the surface layer and applied the cloud texture to it. I animated it using 4 keys, each having a 90 degree roation and a time hack of 250 for a total roatation of 1000. When I exported it out, the surface and clouds rotate as expected; however, the both seem to rotate at the same speed. Apparently I am not understanding the concept so any help would be appreciated.

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Is this Armada II or Armada I? :)

Armada II specifically has a flag for planets: relativeAtmosphereSpeed . For Armada I, I'm not certain, but if you take a look at our Fleet Ops background planets+textures it should be understandable (should use identical features).

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Erm, i know that A2 has that flag for this, but i do not believe A1 has it, but i wouldnt quote me on it.