Reman dreadnaught WIP

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Reman dreadnaught WIP

Post by pepperman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Taking a stab at Atolm/Azel's Reman dreadnaught. Unless she gets a serious haircut I doubt I can get this one in the game as she is currently running at 5000 polys. She's a beasties for sure.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Looks great, and awesome for 5K polies. For a dreadnought, I don't think you need to reduce the detail ;)

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Working on the weapons pod ....

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:23 am

Most impressive work, pepperman!
I'm not a huge fan of the Scimitar design, so your dreadnought is a great alternative to it.

Off topic: Have you ever thought of doing a Reman freighter or construction ship?
I thought of that while watching Nemesis because of the Reman dilithium mines: Why should Romulans do the 'dirty' work while Remans work in the mines on Remus?
I think this may be an interesting addition to the Romulans.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Tommygun_BoG wrote:Most impressive work, pepperman!
I'm not a huge fan of the Scimitar design, so your dreadnought is a great alternative to it.

Off topic: Have you ever thought of doing a Reman freighter or construction ship?
I thought of that while watching Nemesis because of the Reman dilithium mines: Why should Romulans do the 'dirty' work while Remans work in the mines on Remus?
I think this may be an interesting addition to the Romulans.
Haven't really thought too much about it. Haven't seen any Reman designs for a freighter or construction ship. Got something in mind? Top view and side view perhaps. :)

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Yeah, some while ago I've found those sketches of reman service verhicles on John Eaves' page:

http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =655&h=327

I think these would really fit as freighter/construction ships/workbees.
Would be really if you could do them one day.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Those are generic enough to fit most any race for sure. I took a look at his site and was hoping to finf a top view/side view of these but came up day. Much easy to model that way. Let me finish the dreadnaught and I'll think these over.

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:11 am

Yeah, I know, but as John Eaves intended them to be Reman I thought it's a good evidence.
A more race specific design would be great of course.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Is it possible to add Reman ships to the Romulan race? Perhaps by making them really expensive (in dilithium) it would restrict their usage but it'd be nice to have them...unless you're on the wrong end of one!

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:18 pm

fuller...yes, it is possible to add them to the Romulan side. As there are serveral ship available, one could almost have a Reman fleet. :) Basically, the procedure is the same as adding any other ship. Making them more expensive and/or longer to build is one way to help with balancing the game.

A little update on the dreadnaught .... Not satisified with the windows but not exactly sure what to do about them at the moment either.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:21 pm

fuller...yes, it is possible to add them to the Romulan side. As there are serveral ship available, one could almost have a Reman fleet. :) Basically, the procedure is the same as adding any other ship. Making them more expensive and/or longer to build is one way to help with balancing the game.

A little update on the dreadnaught .... Not satisified with the windows but not exactly sure what to do about them at the moment either.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Ah thanks. nice work by the way

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Going to call this one done and package her up for release. Poly count = 5552 with 5 texture maps. Plenty of optimization could be done to tighten up the textures and the like but I have run out of time and real life has a nasty habit of getting in the way. Not sure if I will hard point this one or not as I may leave that to others.

Regardless, I'll release the model files as well as the textures and grant permissions in the read me for editing (either the model or the textures). If any one puts her in game, feel free to add an image or two to this thread to show the ol gal off. :)

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:50 am

An excellent model pepperman but I think my only gripe would be the width of the wingspan.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:56 pm

I hear you MAP but I was trying to stay as close to Atolm's orginal design.

Those who are interested can find the mesh and textures here. Filefront is being a royal pain. Anyone interested can try this link

http://www.mediafire.com/?h8d68d1hcbix5n5

In have created a second release that maps the mesh groups to a single 2048 x 2048 texture map. This version of the release includes 3dMax and Milkshape versions of the model which have been mapped to a single 2048 x 2048 texture file. High (2048 x 2048), medium (1024 x 1024) and low (512 x 512) version of the texture file have been included. I also included a similar set that contains an alpha channel. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it and admit some improvement could be made. I’ll leave it to you all to set it up for the respective games.

http://www.mediafire.com/?q8j9t5b72711r2s