Star Trek Armada Fleet Ops "Ages" Mod

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Je_mezu24 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 am

OVCathens wrote:Goddammit man... You're always one step ahead of me. :D I saw that diagram as well, and was planning on having the 2nd refit be from the Kelvin era, Pre-TOS era.

However, I've noticed with that altered model, the short nacelles on the second refit look somewhat 'derpy'. There is a wide empty space between the bussard collectors, and the secondary hull, with the catamaran-style hull removed. I was contemplating altering the model a bit, with longer nacelles that reach closer the the aft of the saucer.
Sorry, not trying to be one step ahead of you, I've just been interested in the NX-class and the NX-class Refit since Star Trek Enterprise and wish it never got canceled so the refit would have been seen on the series. I've always wondered if the refit would get another refit removing the "catamaran" from the hull gave a better look towards the Constitution-class.

I actually like how the nacelles are slightly smaller and the wide space between the Primary and Secondary Hulls. Kind of reminds me of other pre-TOS ships. From a video I watched on YouTube about the evolution of Starfleet ships it has something to do with the thoughts of the aerodynamics of space travel at the time and how the warpfields effected the ships during space travel.

There is one ship I've been trying to find as a mod for A2 is the 3 Odyssey-class starship variants from Star Trek Online (STO) combined into one with the detachable Aquarius-class support ship and Saucer Separation.

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:11 pm

I know, it's just a random coincidence.

On the second refit without the catamaran style hull, I was originally going to have the second refit (not the Doug Drexler one) be a more evolved version of Drexler's model (Atlantis-class after NX-05), eventually upgrading to the second refit. (Dauntless-class after NX-08, which was coined by the guy who designed the second refit)

However, I'm having second thoughts as it seem unlikely that any given ship would go through two massive refits in its life, I'm starting to think that they should be introduced as contemporaries rather than having the Dauntless-class be a refit of the Atlantis class.

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Je_mezu24 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:59 am

OVCathens wrote:I know, it's just a random coincidence.

On the second refit without the catamaran style hull, I was originally going to have the second refit (not the Doug Drexler one) be a more evolved version of Drexler's model (Atlantis-class after NX-05), eventually upgrading to the second refit. (Dauntless-class after NX-08, which was coined by the guy who designed the second refit)

However, I'm having second thoughts as it seem unlikely that any given ship would go through two massive refits in its life, I'm starting to think that they should be introduced as contemporaries rather than having the Dauntless-class be a refit of the Atlantis class.
I've never heard of any class called the Atlantis-class or the Dauntless-class.. After all, they aren't official classes for the NX-class, there are only two official NX-class vessels, the NX-class and the Season 5 refit. Sounds like they are unofficial, thus not canon fan created ships. According to the NX-class Memory Alpha page, the refit NX-class became known as the Columbia-class named after the NX-02 Columbia but there is no mention of an Atlantis-class or Dauntless-class. I did a search for the Atlantis-class and Dauntless-class without finding any results.

My searching did turn up the NX-05 Atlantis and the NX-08 Dauntless but both of the official refit in their other images but the links below place both of them as pre-refit NX-class.
http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Dauntless_(NX-08)
(the NX-08 is part of the link, this site seems to be broken with the url tags, post wouldn't show up with them)

http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Atlantis_(NX_class)
(the_(NX_class) is part of the link, this site seems to be broken with the url tags, post wouldn't show up with them)

The only Dauntless-class I can find is the ship that appeared in Star Trek Voyager under the name USS Dauntless NX-01-A and wasn't even an official Starfleet/Federation starship. And it appears by the 26th Century the Federation/Starfleet also had this class in service, presumably because of Voyager.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dauntless_class

Out of curiosity since I've never heard of these so called "NX-class" Refits I like to know how these fan made designs/names came into existence. Are they even official designs created by someone who designed the official NX-class and the NX-class Refit?

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Creators

Post by OVCathens » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:41 pm

Je_mezu24 wrote:I've never heard of any class called the Atlantis-class or the Dauntless-class.. After all, they aren't official classes for the NX-class, there are only two official NX-class vessels, the NX-class and the Season 5 refit. Sounds like they are unofficial, thus not canon fan created ships.
Yeah, they are non-created fan names. I figured for a game mod, you would need to label unnamed and non-canon ships with names outside of canon.
According to the NX-class Memory Alpha page, the refit NX-class became known as the Columbia-class named after the NX-02 Columbia but there is no mention of an Atlantis-class or Dauntless-class. I did a search for the Atlantis-class and Dauntless-class without finding any results.
Are you sure? Or was it from the apocrypha section? I thought it was named the Columbia-class in a Star Trek: Enterprise book series where the season 5 NX-refit was used, with permission from its creator, Doug Drexler. Apparently, naming it Columbia-class by the author in the story pissed Drexler off, as it was not in the terms of their agreement.
Out of curiosity since I've never heard of these so called "NX-class" Refits I like to know how these fan made designs/names came into existence. Are they even official designs created by someone who designed the official NX-class and the NX-class Refit?
Outside of the official season 5 proposed NX-refit by Doug Drexler, I honestly have no idea who proposed the rest of the rest of the refits.

https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w17 ... /NXMk3.jpg
  • NX-class (Enterprise NX-01 seen in Star Trek: Enterprise) designed by Doug Drexler
  • NX-class Mk. II (Columbia NX-02, as there were many subtle differences and upgrades) also Doug Drexler
  • NX-class Mk. III (non-canon, but another upgrade, it was included in the Star Trek: Legacy Ultimate Universe Mod, not sure who designed it, the image is on the right)
  • Official Season 5 Proposed NX-refit, created by Doug Drexler (This was the ship I was originally going to call the Atlantis-class, but I figure I'll just call it the Mk. IV)
  • The second, fan proposed refit that the creator calls "Dauntless" (hence why I would have called it the Dauntless-class)
The creator of the final design, I would assume would be the user "brandomack", as they have in progress photos of modifying of an actual NX-class model kit to create an actual physical model of the proposed design. It's been awhile since they've updated their photo albums though, so I don't know if they ever completed it.

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: Star Trek Armada Fleet Ops

Post by Je_mezu24 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:31 pm

I wouldn't call a variant of any class a new class especially since its just another type of the original class, thus really if anything I'd call what you call the Dauntless-class the NX-class Refit Dauntless-Type (or Dauntless Sub-Type). I'd do the same with the NX-05 (NCC-005) Atlantis the NX-class Refit Atlantis-Type. I do this because of how similar they are to the original class.

Also in the future there is already a Dauntless-class, even though it was later discovered to be a fake ship in Star Trek Voyager it was still called the Dauntless-class and there's nothing to say Starfleet wouldn't eventually produce the vessel as the Dauntless-class. (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dauntless_class)

Also lastly, I don't support the books that are set after the ending of Star Trek Enterprise because according to Memory Alpha, the series finial of Star Trek Enterprise is set five years into the future after the Terra Prime Incident thus its set in the year 2161 since its also clearly stated to be set 10 years after the Enterprise NX-01 first end launched which according to the episode Broken Bow that was in the year 2151. The math makes the books fake to canon since what is seen in movies and TV are canon and books aren't.

The same is said for official words said by designers such as Doug Drexler unless its also stated in an episode or movie. So the designation of Columbia-class or even Enterprise-class for the NX-class Refit isn't canon especially since it was never given a class name onscreen in many people's eyes its the NX-class Refit well other see differently on both things, I just happen to lean closer to what is established canon with everything Star Trek over what I consider "hearsay".

Of course that's my opinion, some agree with me and really I've come to base my opinion on what they have said since the evidence I discovered at the time agrees with them. Of course I don't know where your stance is on all that.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: Star Trek Armada Fleet Ops

Post by fuller » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:05 am

Not quite sure I understand what you're saying about the Enterprise timeline, but what you say about TV/Movies being canon and books not is true, however, with the 'new' movies (ie Abramsiverse) the books have been the only way to carry the stories of the original universe on, so in my opinion they should be considered as canon despite not being so.
Linking back to the mod shown in this thread, its up to the designer of the mod to name things, I would imagine there's a way to rename things so that they appear how you want them on the game if you use this mod?