SOD Importer for 3DS Max =ALL VERSIONS=

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

SOD Importer for 3DS Max =ALL VERSIONS=

Post by MrVulcan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I think it's about time that I release this much requested, and controversial bit of maxscript code. I've had a hectic summer, so forgive the delays. Been promising this for a while now; so here it is :)

===================
WARNING!!

Use responsibly! Modding communities are built upon trust and respect for fellow modders. Please respect the work of those that came before you and seek permissions from authors before editing and releasing anything that is not personal work.

By using these scripts, you agree to abide by the “Don’t be a **** principle”. Cheers :)

===================

So there you have it. Please keep things clean and fun for everyone.
SOD Importer V1.0.1

NOTE: this imports animations *

There are a few known issues with the importer:

• At present, models with a large number of lighting materials (greater than 24) will not display the lighting materials in the materials editor. This in itself is not a bug, but a limitation in 3dsMax. However, there have been occasions when this issue caused an import error.
• The render script occasionally misinterprets self-illumination info from the SOD, using the alpha for transparency instead of self-illumination. Correct manually in the materials editor when encountering this problem.
• Some models may set the self-illumination level too low. Correct manually via materials editor.

* I tried to keep the fidelity of imported models as close as possible to the SODs, but there will always be some errors due to coordinate system transforms, different representations of material properties, and just plain old bugs.

Please don't yell at me when things don't work right away. I have done rather limited testing on a variety of models from A1, A2 and FleetOps, but for the most part, the process works just fine.

Mr. V

EDIT: Updated with a bugfix
Last edited by MrVulcan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:44 pm

You have been busy, nice work.

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:48 am

Finally! Thank you so much!
Now the last big gap in Armada Modding gets closed! This is awesome!

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:55 am

hi guys..i'm new in this modding stuff...if i got it right, using this, we can convert ships from A2 to A1...but how to do it?

can anybode explain me, please?

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Updated with a bugfix. Should be able to import more models now, especially a lot of the stock A2 models.

napseeker
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: SOD Importer for 3DS Max =ALL VERSIONS=

Post by napseeker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:39 am

While I haven't been on this site in many years (or done any A1 modding), I did try to download this to see if I could test it out - but the link seems to be dead. Rather than rapidshare, may I suggest depositfiles? They seem to have a much longer retention of files than RS does.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 am

That's the second link we've had that hasn't worked, did something happen when we changed system?

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:20 pm

fuller wrote:That's the second link we've had that hasn't worked, did something happen when we changed system?
This link is an off site link (rapidshare) not sure what happened to other link it was strange. it may have just been a file name conflict (Birth of the Federation) since site uses that as folder info on other side.

thunderchero

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:18 am

Before the update, we couldn't upload new files to the site, hence the offsite link. I recently made some updates to the importer/exporter scripts, so this would be good time for me to upload them here. Stand by :P

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:10 am

Good stuff MrVulcan. Definitely going to get the new version.