Possibly Actually Starting to Mod!!

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Possibly Actually Starting to Mod!!

Post by fuller » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Ok, so I know I've been a member for quite some time now, but because I've been running A1 on a Windows 95 machine with no internet connection I haven't actually ever modded Armada...in actual fact, I joined the sight to fix an issue with the game, which seemed to become a regular occurrence with me and the game :lol:
Now, today I've installed A1 onto a newer, but still fairly old machine, which is running Windows XP. I have the Win95/98 version of the game, but everything seems to work fine despite a warning upon instillation.
At the moment, I am working on just playing the game to unlock everything, but now I've got the game sorted out on a "gaming" computer (gaming because of what I use it for, rather than what it was built for) I'd actually quite like to mod A1, starting simple like adding a phaser to the Steamrunner, moving up to bigger stuff like adding ships to the game.
I'd rather not connect the old XP to the internet, but I can do if needs be; my preferred option is to use my newer laptop for any downloads etc, and use CD Rom or USB to transfer bits between the two PC's, not sure if it's gonna work though.
I've got the Westworld Big Book of Modding as a download, but not going to lie, it confused the hell out of me! Can anyone just set me off in the right direction in words I can understand?!?! :)

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Possibly Actually Starting to Mod!!

Post by MajorPayne » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:46 pm

your best bet when starting is to get a small selection of other peoples mods and take them apart. see how things were done and see what you can and cant do. start of small and work your way upwards.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Most of your modding will be sitting down and looking through lots of odf files. Transferring downloaded files to your XP computer will be a very minor part of the overall modding process. USB stick is probably the best way for you.

So why don't you start with adding a phaser to the steamrunner? Download the ODF files from here, and see how far it takes you.

MajorPayne is right about starting small. See your modifications in action, it will give you great satisfaction. Then build on top of that.

CABAL
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CABAL » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:08 pm

I agree with Mr. V and the Major; starting small is the way to go. My first attempts were just getting different units to spawn at the start of Instant Action. Modding Armada is daunting at first but, once you get used to it, you can make some really cool stuff.

The BBoM is a great place to start but, if I remember correctly, a few entries are wrong. I think it has firing arc in degrees when it's actually in radians, for instance. There's also a line or two that isn't documented at all. Just keep at it and you'll do well.
Good night, forum. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.​