A1 - Research Station Weapons?

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Shadowtech
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

A1 - Research Station Weapons?

Post by Shadowtech » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:20 pm

Hey guys sorry to pick everyone's brains, but can you put a weapon or special weapon on a research station?

I can put ones on a pod but haven't been able to put ones on the research station itself. The weapons idea on the pods generally works for most situations but I have a mod idea where a special weapon on the station itself would be better. Thanks in advance!

CABAL
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: A1 - Research Station Weapons?

Post by CABAL » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:45 am

Shadowtech wrote:Hey guys sorry to pick everyone's brains, but can you put a weapon or special weapon on a research station?
Pretty much the purpose of the site, really.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can. you just need to make sure you enable the weapons system by making sure the research station has weaponsHitpoints = at least 1. If weaponsHitpoints is 0 or less, then that ship or station can't fire any of its weapons.
Good night, forum. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.​

Shadowtech
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Shadowtech » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks Cabal I'll give that a try! I had just taken a stock research odf and modified it to research new items but when I tried to include a special weapon it didn't work. This is what I've been missing! :D
Last edited by Shadowtech on Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowtech
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Shadowtech » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Hey Cabal I still can't get this. I included your command as suggested but still can't get a special weapon to show up. I even added some lines concerning weapons from the fbase.odf and station.odf with no luck. Any ideas?

CABAL
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CABAL » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:07 am

Let me see if I can get A1 working on my system again and I'll try to figure out what the problem is.
Good night, forum. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.​

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:39 pm

As far as I know, research stations do not have special weapons.

A workaround of sorts is to "research" a pod that has the desired weapon. The weapon is NOT a special weapon. To make this weapon fire on command as though you pressed a special weapon button, you need to one more weapon to the pod: one that will self-target and destroy the pod.

This way, you "fire" a special weapon from the research station by building the research pod. That research pod fires a regular weapon at the enemy, and one that self-targets and destroys the pod a few seconds later.

For shockwave damage style weapons, you can use the pod explosion shockwave for the effects and damage.

If your station does not strictly have to be a research station, you can give it the classlabel = "sensor". I might be wrong, but from memory, I think that is the only station class label that can handle special weapons.

CABAL
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CABAL » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm having trouble getting A1 to work, but Mr. V should be right. In A1, the hotrail is used for both special weapons and build queues so they interfere with each other. I think normal weapons should still work, though. You can add the cloak detect "special" because it doesn't have a button, for instance. I know I armed a non-starbase/sensor before. canattack = 1 ? It was a Nor-type station coded as a mining station with a build list and weapons.

Shadowtech
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Shadowtech » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Okay thanks the the help.

Shadowtech
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Shadowtech » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Afterthought for Cabal

You said you're having trouble getting Armada 1 working. I have it working on Windows 7 x64 Home Edition if you need help.
I can post a new thread with instructions.

CABAL
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CABAL » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm on Windows 10 x64 Home so it may not work, but sure, I'll take any help I can get.

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:38 pm

There appears to have been some progress over at fleetops forums. Thundercherro kept contact with a developer for dxwnd; some progress was made. I just upgraded to win10 64bit on my machine, so I'll be poking around too.

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:12 pm

one other thing you might try for windows 10 "dgvoodoo2"

I did quick test and game loaded but option screens were top left, so no where close to perfect.
dgVoodoo2_45.zip
(507.4 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
thunderchero

Shadowtech
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Shadowtech » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:07 pm

The following should get Armada 1 to work on windows 7 - I have not upgraded to windows 10 yet because I have a lot of games (old as well as new) and I'm not sure how they'll work on Windows 10 ( I have over 100 games and have gotten almost all to work). :D

Notes on Star Trek Armada

Copy and rename original armada.exe so you'll have a original backup

Then right-click the copy file and set compatibility to run Windows XP Service Pack 2, run in 256 colors, and run as administrator

Paste StIntro.bik from the cd into the animations folder to get intro

You can also try Disabling visual themes and desktop composition

The above should work - if not you can try Windows 98 compatibility mode

Also Windows Vista seems works and gets rid of the UAC prompt

If you have a dual monitor disable it and run the game only on one monitor - also armada tends to mess up the windows sidebar so you might want to disable that too.

Can't speak about Windows 10 but hope this helps!