Assimilation Texture Help

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

DaveyUK
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Assimilation Texture Help

Post by DaveyUK » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:55 am

Hi guys, long time lurker but very recently became a member here. Always loved Armada 1 and doing a few mods. Have a question if anyone can help me with it. Is there a way to remove the Borg assimilation texture found on the hull of the ships? For instance I'm modding the game at the moment and I've added a few non Borg ships as buildable units by the Borg. Problem is, everytime they come out of the shipyard they're already covered in the assimilated hull texture. Was just wondering if there is any way to stop this texture from appearing on non Borg ships? Thanks
David

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Re: Assimilation Texture Help

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi DaveyUK, welcome :)

If I remember correctly, there are two ways in which borg assimilation textures are specified in A2.

1. the texture file for the model is modified to look assimilated and its file name is appended with _b. You can remove this texture and the assimilation effect will disappear.

2. the texture file name is stored inside of the SOD. You may encounter errors with the model if you remove the assimilated texture.

You can try to locate the relevant textures and remove them, this will remove the assimilation effect. This is probably best if you only need to take care of a few units.

Another way to get rid of this effect is to change the race name across EVERY borg ship/station, and racefile. This is rather tedious, and error prone. However, with the race name changed, the assimilation effect will never show up as it is triggered by the current race name (if race=borg -> apply assimilation effect).

Hope that helped

DaveyUK
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by DaveyUK » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:54 am

Thanks MrVulcan, I'll give it a go and see how I get on :) Just a quick one, in your post you mentioned Armada 2 I'm trying to achieve this with Armada 1. Is the process just the same?
Thanks

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:13 am

Oh, the process is quite different in A1. When you mentioned assimilation texture, I suspected A2.

In A1, all assimilation effects are built into the model. You would need to edit the model to remove the assimilation effects.

Perhaps a better method is to replace stock models with ones created by modders. Very very few models were created with borg assimilation effects.

1. find and download the models you like
2. replace the original SOD (overwrite).
3. copy textures into textures/RGB (don't change filenames)
4. edit ODF hardports for weapon and system locations on the model. You may want the storm3d tool to find the hardpoints.