Armada 1 - assimiation texture in non-borg ships

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Regenbogen
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Armada 1 - assimiation texture in non-borg ships

Post by Regenbogen » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Hello.

I need a little help, perhaps a few hints or so. I have made a shipyard, which builds two galaxy class ships. One with a plasmacanon with normal texture, and the second galaxy class with the holding beam. I am using the "breen" race, and both ships in the shipyard are from the same race. But I need two different looking Galaxy class ships. A normal one (which is in the SOD folder) and a assimilated looking one while both are not borg race.
I tried following: to copy the bcruiser1.tga and the fentd.sod and renamed both to 2battle2.tga.
But that didn't work.
In which direction I have to search or to look for?
Is there an easy way to add some borgish texture onto the normal fentd.sod?
Perhaps in an odf-file?

Thank you.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Re: Armada 1 - assimiation texture in non-borg ships

Post by MrVulcan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:26 am

Hi

Few things that I can suggest:

1) Borg assimilation textures appear when the owner of a ship is the "borg" race, specified in the odf as

race = "borg"

This race changes when someone takes over the ship. However, I think the initial value is inherited from the shipyard that constructs the ship. So, if you can change the race of this shipyard to "borg', the produced Galaxy should also be borg. If you are placing this shipyard in map editor, you can do this easily. This has the additional, possibly unintended effect of changing the voiceover sounds.

The borg textures and nodes need to be created on the SOD for that Galaxy class. If these don't already exist on the model, the above would not work.

2) If you want one of the Galaxies to have borg textures permanently, you can edit it's texture, as I think you have attempted to do. You should load the model in Storm3D and find out what textures that model uses. (press F2, then pgup or pgdw until you see the mesh name displayed in the upper left corner. Then press T. The file open box will show the current texture name). If the texture is unique to that specific model, just replace or edit the texture and you're set. If the texture is not unique, then you would have to edit the SOD.

To edit the SOD texture, you can select a new texture in the above procedure (F2, pgup/pgdw, T, select new texture, F9 to save SOD). However, if you have access to 3dsmax, or milkshape, I suggest you try to change the texture in those programs rather than using storm3D. Storm will break the material settings for lightmaps and reflections).

3) Keep in mind that texture names are embedded in the SOD. I'm not sure what you meant by "copy the bcruiser1.tga and the fentd.sod and renamed both to 2battle2.tga". fentd.sod will only see its own texture (I don't have access to armada files at the moment). To change the referenced texture name, you have to edit the SOD in storm3d, 3dsmax, or milkshape.

Hope any of this helps.
Mr. V

Regenbogen
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Armada 1 - assimiation texture in non-borg ships

Post by Regenbogen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:35 pm

It worked very well,

thank you!