Need sphere w/HPs and animation

Got yourself an inspired idea for a new model?? Got something to show?? Then do it right in here

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Need sphere w/HPs and animation

Post by Twitch »

OK has anyone ever built a spherical SOD with hardpoints and animation that makes it revolve like a planet? I am not a SOD creator but if I had one I could make planets that build more than shields and maybe even blow up if assaulted enough.
The Borg will rock your world!
shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow »

Hi Twitch,

You do not need a new SOD.
The planets I have released in my 35 planets pack in 2004 do rotate and I guess the SODs used there have the hardpoints at the right places for your purpose

HP Map is included in the documentation of the package (rtf-file)

Use them if you want to. Just take a look. It might help.

The rotation is achieved by the lines in the planets ODF

// no turbulence, so the ground doesn't crawl.
turbulence = 1

Here an example(PB_CLSSM.ODF):

#include "planet.odf"

unitName = "Class M Planet"

tooltip = "PLANET_CLASSM"
verboseTooltip = "PLANET_CLASSM_V"

maxHealth = 10000
maxCrewGain = 5000

// maximum military garrision (crew)
maximumCrew = 5000

// maximum civilian population
// can be unpopulated, sparse, light, medium, or heavy
maxPopulation = "heavy"

// modifier to base rate at which a planet gets civilians
civilianPopulationModifier = 1.5f

ambientSound = "pb_clssm_am.wav"
// make min bigger or smaller to change volume, leave max=1
ambientMinimumDistance = .025
ambientMaximumDistance = 1

ambientMinimumFactor = 1.0
ambientMaximumFactor = 1.5

resource = "ResourcePlanetM"

groundTextureName = "PB_CLSSM"

isColonizable = 1
requiresTerraform = 0

// Distance to ground, zero means no atmosphere, < -1 means no ground
groundDistance = 0.5
// no turbulence, so the ground doesn't crawl.
turbulence = 1

atmosphereTextureName = "PA_ECFR0"

The planets on my system rotate quite nicely.
I found that the direction of the rotation is chosen for each planet on the map individually by the game engine, so there is some variety.

Tell me how it works for you

Greetings shadow
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

Hmmm? I'll have to revisit the idea again. My sod has HPs and uses planetary weapons but won't auto rotate if class label is changed to a station rather than a planet. My lines in the planet ODF are same as you have so I don't know.

My idea is that if you have a planet that is 1st a station it would work like a derelict ship without crew when setting up a map- anyone who gets onboard can use it and its weapons.

I figured the sphere SOD had to be animated to rotate even when used as a ship or station.
shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow »

Hi Twitch,

I played around with the coding a bit and changed the classlabel on a test-planet to “station” as you did.(With some other necessary changes in the odf.)

I saw several changes in the way this “planet” and the game behaves.

1.) With the change of the classlabel you are loosing the rotation of the planet.
turbulence = 1 does not work anymore, it is obviously a command that is linked to the classlabel.

I see no other way than to use a new SOD with an animation , if you change the classlabel and still want a rotating planet.

2.) You are also loosing the gravitational effects of a planet. Ships will not slow down.
You will have to place an invisible black hole at the same location to overcome that.

3.) You cannot change the texture of a planet as easily as before.

4.) You are loosing the atmospheric effects, the extra cloud layer vanishes.
Clouds will have to be incorporated in the ground-texture or the SOD will have to have an extra semitransparent sphere just for the clouds. You are also loosing city textures.

4.) Colonyships become useless.

5.) You cannot use such planets on 8 player maps. You need one team for the planets. So they can be boarded, as colonization is not possible anymore.
With that you are limiting the game to 7-player maps as maximum. :(

6.) This new “planet” can be blown up. You can get some nice explosions that way. 8)

7.) Such a planet/station can build ships or other items specified in the odf. But they will have to be useful to all races.

8.) The new SOD for the planets will either have to be without emitters at all, or all emitters will have to face outward.
This way you can simulate volcanic eruptions. 8)

Seeing all that, what are you up to?
Could be interesting, but a lot of work is waiting there.

Greetings shadow
:)
shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow »

Hi Twitch,

I played around with the coding a bit and changed the classlabel on a test-planet to “station” as you did.(With some other necessary changes in the odf.)

I saw several changes in the way this “planet” and the game behaves.

1.) With the change of the classlabel you are loosing the rotation of the planet.
turbulence = 1 does not work anymore, it is obviously a command that is linked to the classlabel.

I see no other way than to use a new SOD with an animation , if you change the classlabel and still want a rotating planet.

2.) You are also loosing the gravitational effects of a planet. Ships will not slow down.
You will have to place an invisible black hole at the same location to overcome that.

3.) You cannot change the texture of a planet as easily as before.

4.) You are loosing the atmospheric effects, the extra cloud layer vanishes.
Clouds will have to be incorporated in the ground-texture or the SOD will have to have an extra semitransparent sphere just for the clouds. You are also loosing city textures.

4.) Colonyships become useless.

5.) You cannot use such planets on 8 player maps. You need one team for the planets. So they can be boarded, as colonization is not possible anymore.
With that you are limiting the game to 7-player maps as maximum. :(

6.) This new “planet” can be blown up. You can get some nice explosions that way. 8)

7.) Such a planet/station can build ships or other items specified in the odf. But they will have to be useful to all races.

8.) The new SOD for the planets will either have to be without emitters at all, or all emitters will have to face outward.
This way you can simulate volcanic eruptions. 8)

Seeing all that, what are you up to?
Could be interesting, but a lot of work is waiting there.

Greetings shadow
:)
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

I had tested out a spherical "station" with planet's TGA and found some but not all of those thing you found. Thanks. I actually think that simply making a big spherical station that has no engines would not be for every planet anyhow, just a few on a map. It's been long since I made a new map but can't Player 0 be used for neutral stuff in a 8 player map?

The station/planet I made were ok but I hated that they sat there like turds without rotation. What I did like is that I could get freighters to mine from them and that they could construct things.

The reality of it is that I have gotten regular planets to do most of what I want except have big population/crew and build things beyond shields. I guess planetary weapons are enough of a feat.

But I might mess with the derelict spherical station with a HUGE crew potential for those that take it over. :? Just messin around.
shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow »

Hi Twitch,

Just to answer your question player 0 cannot be used for neutral stuff.

The game engine needs one team for the map units it controls.

If you do not use team8 for map units (ships or stations) they are not correctly initialized at game start. Such units are then treated by the game engine like all other map objects, nebula for example. Worse, they are there but have no function. Such stations/ships will not work or move.

In the background a ship or station which is conquered is handed over from one AI to an other. And each AI has a team number assigned to it.
Even a human player gets an AI assigned in the background, it controls the behavior of all units not under direct human control and helps the player. But sometimes it also causes the suicidal behavior of your ships.

This is the reason why you are loosing one slot on an 8-player map if you are using map units.
The game engine seems to have only a capacity of 8 AI´s running in the background.
No extra AI for map units.

Planets with their correct classlabel have a special status. They get added to an AI like a ship that is build.