help with some simple animations

Got yourself an inspired idea for a new model?? Got something to show?? Then do it right in here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Cmndr_Parker1
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

help with some simple animations

Post by Cmndr_Parker1 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:56 am

First off I'll admit that I'm not new to model making, and over the past few years I've gotten better at It, but I use milkshape and that makes animations off limits to me. I am currently working on 6 diffrent advanced construction ships that I need animated. I've decided the animation should be very simple, just sliding bay doors. I will create the models, I just need someone to animate the bay doors for me. If anyone is willing to help, I already have a fed and ferengi const. ship ready to be animated. I can have all the others ready in no time.

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by assainator » Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 am

dude,

animation with milkshape is very possible,

http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ms3d/download.html

and just download the html help document.
if you put it on your computer, open it, go to "tutorials" and then animation. go right ahead and learn the basics how to animate!

assainator

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:47 am

It may be relatively easy to animate in Milkshape, but that's not the chief issue. The way I see it, the biggest problem with having animated ships is knowing how the animations work in respect to the game's hardpoint system and trigger events. He not only has to compel the game to animate the ship, but he also has to let the game know when it should animate it. This is something that I too have been hoping to be able to do. If nothing else, though, it would seem that FT will have animated ships, and so if no one who knows about it bothers to respond, then maybe we'll learn something about it when the mod is released.

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by assainator » Fri May 16, 2008 1:01 am

well, ft has animated ships: multi vector assault mode (real possible)
and why don't you look in the odf files?
or in the sprites of the construction ships

Cmndr_Parker1
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cmndr_Parker1 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:17 am

animations are added to the model before it is converted to an sod file.
The sprites and odf files are secondary. As for animating with milkshape....
it animates bones ( like the ones used in Sims ) and bones aren't used in Armada.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:44 pm

Evidently you know more about the whole thing than I do. I wish I could help, but the one time I messed with an animated ship was when I tried to copy the Federation construction ship with a new texture. It worked but the animation that the ship should have maintained got lost in translation somewhere, so I don't even know how to import and resave animated ships, much less add new animations to entirely new ships.