NX-class Refit (Season 5 Refit)

Got yourself an inspired idea for a new model?? Got something to show?? Then do it right in here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

NX-class Refit (Season 5 Refit)

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 pm

I have a mod that I was told is the NX-class Refit, but it has its flaws, namely looks like the Akira-class in some ways (aka has the pod thing above connecting to the nacelle pylons).

Don't get me wrong, I do like the model that I have but not as a NX-class Refit but instead as its own say "Sister Ship-class" or "varriant". And that is actually how I am using the ship now in my game.

What I am looking for isn't like that and actually has what can actually be considered the Constitution-class' secondary hull.

I will post a .ZIP file with images for this.
NX-class Refit Images:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0Y3VQR14

Comparing the NX-class Refit in game with the real canon planned version by the original NX-class designer:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A0BO0DTC

I also have a .ZIP file (That I will not upload) that is for the true NX-class Refit from what would have been Star Trek Enterprise's Season 5 but it needs to be converted to MS3D, SOD and into Armada II because it is originally a Bridge Commander (BC) Mod. I don't know how to convert it though and was wondering if anyone would want to help me out?

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 am

I see, so they forgot to add in the neck connecting the saucer to the engineering hull, and have that "pod" between the nacelles.

I think the bridge commander model will be high-poly for Armada... If you have the current model in milkshape, try deleting the pod as that seems to bother you the most. The neck you can create by stretching a few polies from the engineering section to connect to the saucer. Perfect opportunity for figuring out modelling :)

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Whats the website addy for the BC version??

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm

MrVulcan wrote:I see, so they forgot to add in the neck connecting the saucer to the engineering hull, and have that "pod" between the nacelles.

I think the bridge commander model will be high-poly for Armada... If you have the current model in milkshape, try deleting the pod as that seems to bother you the most. The neck you can create by stretching a few polies from the engineering section to connect to the saucer. Perfect opportunity for figuring out modelling :)
I could actually try that as a last resort. I did try it before to create the Starfleet Museum's Dragon-class by trying to remove the Saucer from one ship and replacing it with the Daedalus-class for they looked pretty similar. The result didn't work so well, or at least didn't look like a ship... well the ship I was trying to create. Think I'll make it again though, the result did look cool in some ways.

I do want to get the Nacelle Pylons in the right place to as well. On the version I have, the extra Pylons not touching the nacelles either. What can I do about that?
MajorPayne wrote:Whats the website addy for the BC version??
The ship is part of a pack, includes the NX-class's Shuttle Pod and also a guy in an EVA Suit along with the NX-class Refit (Season 5 Refit).

Here is the original link to the bcfiles.com page were I got the original, had to use my created .ZIP file to get the name again for the file just to find it.

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/fi ... ck_;116298

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Well jetnova. I hate to tell you this but there is no way that milkshape 3d will load it. The NIF file is either corrupted, has more than 3 LOD's, more than the maximum number of groups (can't remember offhand), or has to many inverted faces for the NIF importer to correct (which is more lightly the case). The textures are also around 2048*2048 pixels in size so you might be extremely hard pressed to reverse convert the model back to 3ds.

As baz, is registered and is frequently online I've made a permission request directly to him. If he grants me permission and access to the original source model then I'll see what kind of poly count it has. Be warned though that due to the amount of mesh theft of members of the BC modelling community he may very well say no. If that happens then you might need to work from the original images only.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:30 pm

MajorPayne wrote:Well jetnova. I hate to tell you this but there is no way that milkshape 3d will load it. The NIF file is either corrupted, has more than 3 LOD's, more than the maximum number of groups (can't remember offhand), or has to many inverted faces for the NIF importer to correct (which is more lightly the case). The textures are also around 2048*2048 pixels in size so you might be extremely hard pressed to reverse convert the model back to 3ds.

As baz, is registered and is frequently online I've made a permission request directly to him. If he grants me permission and access to the original source model then I'll see what kind of poly count it has. Be warned though that due to the amount of mesh theft of members of the BC modelling community he may very well say no. If that happens then you might need to work from the original images only.
Ok. Thank you very much for the information Major Payne. I understand what you are saying about the model, if it works out that will be great. If it doesn't then I'll see what I can do with the model that I have.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:33 am

Okay jetnova, so firstly the good news. having good ties with a particular community and as people there know who I am (I think its thanks much in a way to the past conversions I've done), Baz was kind enough to send me the source model. After a bit of a hiccup I found out he uses 3dmax 9 so he was also good enough to resend the model as 3ds. Now comes the bad news. The model is around 23800 polys which as you know will be massively over budget for either Armada game. However, all is not lost as I should (cross your fingers) be able to load the model into milkshape 3d and make a complete rebuild. Your also looking at around 41mb of texture files so these will have to be dealt with to decrease their install size. Unfortunately, I can't let you have this source model as I don't like giving out other peoples source models. Once the rebuild is done I'll give you a shout but is there anything specific that you need done to the model or is it the exact version??

** Quick edit **
Just be warned that whilst I will try to keep as close as possible theres no certainty that it will be exactly the same due to the differing poly counts that the two games use.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:48 pm

MajorPayne wrote:Okay jetnova, so firstly the good news. having good ties with a particular community and as people there know who I am (I think its thanks much in a way to the past conversions I've done), Baz was kind enough to send me the source model. After a bit of a hiccup I found out he uses 3dmax 9 so he was also good enough to resend the model as 3ds. Now comes the bad news. The model is around 23800 polys which as you know will be massively over budget for either Armada game. However, all is not lost as I should (cross your fingers) be able to load the model into milkshape 3d and make a complete rebuild. Your also looking at around 41mb of texture files so these will have to be dealt with to decrease their install size. Unfortunately, I can't let you have this source model as I don't like giving out other peoples source models. Once the rebuild is done I'll give you a shout but is there anything specific that you need done to the model or is it the exact version??

** Quick edit **
Just be warned that whilst I will try to keep as close as possible theres no certainty that it will be exactly the same due to the differing poly counts that the two games use.
Thank you Major Payne. There isn't anything specific I want done to the model, the exact version is good, or what ever you can do to rebuild it as close as possible. :)

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Well after the best part of 12 hours remodelling the original, this is the result. Its about 2000 polys over my personal budget of 4000 so would be classed as high poly for armada. However, as I know that on a newish pc/laptop this should still run with a minimum of fuss. Textures have not been applied and the over accuracy in the reproduction is around 95% (I've had to add some personal editing for certain parts to make them fit correctly). Textures will be applied shortly.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/major58/wip1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/major58/wip2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/major58/wip3.jpg

Its not absolutely perfect but will do and as far as I'm concerned the mesh is ready.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:46 pm

MajorPayne wrote:Well after the best part of 12 hours remodelling the original, this is the result. Its about 2000 polys over my personal budget of 4000 so would be classed as high poly for armada. However, as I know that on a newish pc/laptop this should still run with a minimum of fuss. Textures have not been applied and the over accuracy in the reproduction is around 95% (I've had to add some personal editing for certain parts to make them fit correctly). Textures will be applied shortly.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/major58/wip1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/major58/wip2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/major58/wip3.jpg

Its not absolutely perfect but will do and as far as I'm concerned the mesh is ready.
Actually Major Payne, it looks perfect. I really like how that it looks. You did a great job!

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:15 pm

......and so after about 14 hours total time and much in the way of chopping the textures up this is the result. Like I said. Its not absolutely perfect to the original but at the poly count should be more suitable (6449 final count). It uses 8 512*512 textures instead of the 2048*2048 pixel TGA that the original uses and loses a small smount of quality.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/m ... shed01.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/m ... shed02.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/m ... shed03.jpg

Now a couple of questions.

1) Did you get 3dmax working so you can convert this yourself?? If not then what kind of size compared to stock models would you want this??

2) The models textures currently have no phaser points, so do you want them included (they have to be drawn on the textures)??

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:37 pm

MajorPayne wrote:......and so after about 14 hours total time and much in the way of chopping the textures up this is the result. Like I said. Its not absolutely perfect to the original but at the poly count should be more suitable (6449 final count). It uses 8 512*512 textures instead of the 2048*2048 pixel TGA that the original uses and loses a small smount of quality.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/m ... shed01.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/m ... shed02.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/m ... shed03.jpg

Now a couple of questions.

1) Did you get 3dmax working so you can convert this yourself?? If not then what kind of size compared to stock models would you want this??

2) The models textures currently have no phaser points, so do you want them included (they have to be drawn on the textures)??
First, she looks wonderful!

I am still trying to get 3DMax working, just a few minor issues that I believe I can work out, going to try running it in combatibility mode.

This is the fnxrefit.odf file that I have been using for the other ship that I showed images of, the Pod that was like the Akira-class did fire a phaser from it. I don't remember what Hard Point it was, but it might be hp08, hp12 or hp29.

Also, the scaleSOD size that I was using is there as well. I made it just slightly larger than a standard NX-class starship, Canon might have it the same length, but I don't know for sure.

Code: Select all

#include "nx.odf"

//**********************************************************************
//A2PHYSPROJV1.1 PARAMETERS
physicsFile = "trek_scruise3phys.odf"
rangeScan = 1450.5f
avoidanceClass = 8

//Name of Ship class in the Ship Display window & in edit mode & tooltip
unitname = "NX-class Refit"

//tooltips
tooltip = "NX-class Refit"
verbosetooltip = "Slightly larger and more advanced than the NX-class, the NX-class Refit is more suited towards Long Range Deep Space Scientific Research and Exploration Missions and is better equipped for combat. The most advanced starship of its time though is the Yorktown-class battleship which at times during the Earth-Romulan War were seen traveling with one to two of these ships for the Yorktown-class proved themselves in battle more than the NX-class Refit, the NX-class itself and also the NY-class."

//Race which can build ship & starting race of ship
race = "federation"

//This ship is a hero.
isHero = 1

//Ship label provided because this is a unique ship.
label = "Enterprise NX-01"

//Amount of time required to build ship
buildTime = 25.0

//Number of officers required to build this ship
officerCost = 6

//Number of crew required to build ship & Starting crew
crewCost = 250

// don't use the horrible old % crew loss on damage
saneCrewLossMethod = 1

//Dilithium Cost to build
dilithiumCost = 300

//Metal Cost to build
metalCost = 100

//Max Shield Strength & Begining Shield Strength <500
maxHealth = 2400
maxShields = 0
curShields = 0

// Hitpoints
shieldGeneratorHitPoints = 870
enginesHitPoints = 850
weaponsHitPoints = 850
lifeSupportHitPoints = 870
sensorsHitPoints = 850

//Rate at which shield recharges (points per second... we think)
shieldRate = 8.5

//Maximum Value of Special Energy
maxSpecialEnergy = 2500

//Rate at which special energy recharges
specialEnergyRate = 5

//SHIP NAMES
//Possible Craft Names
possibleCraftNames = 
	"Enterprise NX-01"

//ART PARAMETERS & WEAPON NAMES

// NX Pulse Phaser
weapon1 = "nxpulse"
weaponHardpoints1 = "hp27" "hp28"

// NX Pulse Phaser
weapon2 = "nxpulse"
weaponHardpoints2 = "hp18" "hp20"

// NX Pulse Phaser
weapon3 = "nxpulse"
weaponHardpoints3 = "hp19" "hp21"

// NX Pulse Phaser
weapon4 = "nxpulse"
weaponHardpoints4 = "hp08"

// NX Phaser Array
weapon5 = "fnxphas"
weaponHardpoints5 = "hp27" "hp28"

// NX Phaser Array
weapon6 = "fnxphas"
weaponHardpoints6 = "hp18" "hp20"

// NX Phaser Array
weapon7 = "fnxphas"
weaponHardpoints7 = "hp19" "hp21"

// NX Phaser Array
weapon8 = "fnxphas"
weaponHardpoints8 = "hp08"

// NX Phase Cannon
weapon9 = "nxcannon"
weaponHardpoints9 = "hp29"

// NX Phase Cannon
weapon10 = "nxcannon"
weaponHardpoints10 = "hp12"

// Missile 
weapon11 = "miss"
weaponHardpoints11 = "hp10"

// Overload Cannon
weapon12 = "gbcannon"
weaponHardpoints12 = "hp12"

// Hull Polarization
weapon13 = "gpolarization"
weaponHardpoints13 = "hp12" "hp13" "hp14"

// Self Destruct
weapon14 = "gselfdes"
weaponHardpoints14 = "hp12" "hp13" "hp14"

// Grappler
weapon15 = "ggrap"
weaponHardpoints15 = "hp13"

// Shuttle attack
weapon16 = "gshuttle"
weaponHardpoints16 = "hp01"

// Upgrade To USS Enterprise NCC 1701
weapon17 = "fnxentrefittoent"

// Hardpoints to hit for various systems and other locations.
enginesTargetHardpoints = "hp06" "hp07" "hp08" "hp09" "hp10" 
lifeSupportTargetHardpoints = "hp14" "hp15" "hp16" "hp17" "hp18"
weaponsTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05"
shieldGeneratorTargetHardpoints = "hp19" "hp20" "hp21" "hp22" "hp23"
sensorsTargetHardpoints = "hp24" "hp25" "hp26" "hp27" "hp28" "hp29"
hullTargetHardpoints = "hp10" "hp11" "hp12" "hp13" "hp14" "hp15" "hp16" "hp17"
criticalTargetHardpoints = "hp03" "hp16"

//AI system parameters
//These parameters influence how the AI evaluates and compares craft.
//An abstract number that represents how much extra strength must be
//used to attack this craft due to its weapons. 
// (0.0=no weapons, 0.5 = average weapons, 1.0=many good weapons)
attackPower = 1.00f

//The normalized intrinsic value of a target.  High value craft make good
//attack targets. (0.0=lowest value, 1.0=highest value)
intrinsicValue = 0.50f

//SYSTEM DAMAGE DISTRIBUTION
//The following section's values should add up to 100
enginesHitPercent = 15.0f
lifeSupportHitPercent = 18.5f
weaponsHitPercent = 15.0f
shieldGeneratorHitPercent = 113.5f
sensorsHitPercent = 18.0f
crewHitPercent = 15.0f
hullHitPercent = 15.0f

//CREW STATUS MULTIPLIERS
//The multiplier for the delay between shots for weapons while in yellow status
weaponYellow = 1.0f

//The multiplier for the delay between shots for weapons while in red status
weaponRed = 2.0f

//MEssage & Sound Parameters
eventSelect = "ArcherSelect"
eventAcknowledge = "ArcherAcknowledge"
eventAttack = "ArcherAttack"
eventMove = "ArcherMove"
eventRepair = "ArcherRepair"

//PHYSICS PARAMETERS
// Scripted 3D Attack paths
attack_path0 = "p2.pth"
attack_path1 = "p3.pth"

// Tara Additions For context Sensitive Menus
transporter = 1

// Scale The SOD
scaleSOD = 1.2
For the Phaser and Photonic Torpedos, I don't think they have to be drawn onto the textures. Have the Phase Cannons really before been drawn into the textures? I believe there might be an aft torpedo launcher and Phase Cannon, I think the original NX-class did.

It is up to you though, you did design her, and perfectly I will add.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:23 am

On almost every model you'll come across for Armada 1/2 you'll find that phaser arrays and phaser turrets (in the case of TMP ship) will be drawn onto the texture files and this IS a total refit of the original anyway. Same size but better on offensive and defensive systems. It wouldn't surprise me if the Vulcans hadn't of been persuaded to give the usage of tractor and shield technology. Phase canons would probably have been upgraded to phaser turrets (as in TOS/TMP).

I'll see what I can come up with.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:50 pm

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TXG1ZPAE

Model complete and uploaded. You'll need to unzip this and keep the folder structure intact as all the textures are for one single model. The model itself has around 75 hardpoints but this has been done specifically for a reason. Aside from the critical hardpoints, theres also hardpoints to support the following special weapons if you need to use them:

Tractor Beam, Point Defense Phaser (nebula), Federation Repair Team (Nebula), Corbomite Reflector (Sovereign), Antimatter Mines (Defiant), Cloak Detector (scout) and Self Destruct.

I've also included hardpoints for two different phaser setups and torpedos are fired from a single hardpoint for both eras vessels -
1 set is for TMP era (as dictated by edited textures)
1 set is for TNG era (as dictated by second set of edited textures).

.....and yes. I know the ship doesn't have TNG era nacelles and uses a TOS main deflector but who cares. Oh and before I forget. I've included a small 64*64 JPG image which you can convert to TGA to use as a sort of wireframe and theres also two buttons. One for stock A1 and one for stock A2. If you don't want these then you can also use the image provided to create your own button. Readme files and credits are fully written so you know whos who.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:48 pm

MajorPayne wrote:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TXG1ZPAE

Model complete and uploaded. You'll need to unzip this and keep the folder structure intact as all the textures are for one single model. The model itself has around 75 hardpoints but this has been done specifically for a reason. Aside from the critical hardpoints, theres also hardpoints to support the following special weapons if you need to use them:

Tractor Beam, Point Defense Phaser (nebula), Federation Repair Team (Nebula), Corbomite Reflector (Sovereign), Antimatter Mines (Defiant), Cloak Detector (scout) and Self Destruct.

I've also included hardpoints for two different phaser setups and torpedos are fired from a single hardpoint for both eras vessels -
1 set is for TMP era (as dictated by edited textures)
1 set is for TNG era (as dictated by second set of edited textures).

.....and yes. I know the ship doesn't have TNG era nacelles and uses a TOS main deflector but who cares. Oh and before I forget. I've included a small 64*64 JPG image which you can convert to TGA to use as a sort of wireframe and theres also two buttons. One for stock A1 and one for stock A2. If you don't want these then you can also use the image provided to create your own button. Readme files and credits are fully written so you know whos who.
It is perfect, thank you.