Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

A1 SODs in A2?

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:12 pm

hi guys

i've never really been a fan of A2, i much prefered the style of A1. however i have a new machine with a graphics card that is too new to fully support A1
(it will run the game but very very slowly, it took 30 whole seconds for a torp from the enterprise to hit a vessel just 2 squares away!)
i have already posted on here requesting a way to get A1 to work but the only alternative seems to be to replace the Gcard with an older model, something im not prepared to do. if anyone else has any suggestions they are more than welcome, i have a geforce 5700 LE 256MB DDR card.

anyway in the mean time i have been trying to warm to A2 and recently Dled the stargate mod and the A1 prometheus. i think i remember reading that A2 is backward compatible with the A1 SODs.

Is this true as i would like to add the 303 to the sg mod?

thanks for any advice guys

warmaster
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:06 pm

A1 models are fully compatible with Armada 2, as are the textures. The onyl thing you need to do is copy/paste the hardpoint entries from the Armada 1 ODF to the corresponding Armada 2 version your planning on using. You will also need a new build button (even though the A1 version is the same it will look way out of place).

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:46 am

Don't the wireframes need to be altered as well? I thought A2 used a different layout than A1.
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:28 am

Yes, but adding the A1 file entries from the GUI_Global.spr file to the A2 version then the A1 wireframes can be used.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:07 pm

Warmaster_Rob,

WRT the geforce 5700 LE 256MB DDR card that you are using, what drivers are you running on it. I have heard that if you utilize some of the older drivers that Armada 1 will work okay.

Regards,

Pepperman

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:04 pm

cheers map

@pepperman
i did dl the oldest driver for the card but it didnt seem to have any effect. my next attempt will be to find out if there is an adapter for the monitor connection that will allow me to fit my old comps GC (which worked fine with a1) and have the 1 monitor connected to both, hopefully that way i can switch between primary and secondary GC's when i want to play.

fingers x'ed

cheers again guys
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

sejen
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: A1 sods in A2

Post by sejen » Sat May 14, 2005 8:32 am

A1 sods are compatible with A2, but you will have to bare in mind some important things-

The A1 ODF files may need converting to A2 format - I suggest you start with a similarly ranked A2 ODF and cut/paste the various values, hp's etc.

The A1 SOD may look strange when viewed at various ranges/angles, this a the range thing designed to reduce the power needed by your processor, you arn't supposed to notice this when playing with the original A2 ships.

You may find that some of the A1 SODs when transfered start using the A2 textures eg- all of the A1 Borg ships/stations will use the A2 Borg texture, you could try copying the A1 Borg texture over this but that would affect the A2 Borg ships/stations.

The A1 buttons and wireframes can be transfered but you will have to be careful-
The wireframes are laid out/accessed in a slightly different way eg- the tga files may have different dimensions - you will have to tell the software the dimensions and cordinates of the bits you want.
There are A2 versions of some of the A1 buttons hidden in the RGB directory they are mainly the "4 buttons as one tga" - the only thing thats changed is the background.

I hope that helps!