various unbuildable ships

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

bigdaveking
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

various unbuildable ships

Post by bigdaveking »

i recently downloaded the abandoned mod project of Empire & Federation from apoc entertainment and the instant action map the junkyard seems to have some nice starships of TOS and TMP design adrift in the map waiting to be captured for later use. now these ships are obviously part of the mod yet they are not buildable can someone tell me if theirs a way to make them buildable?

thank you
jamie_to_cute
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jamie_to_cute »

If its for a1 i knowmthat mod and yes there some nice looking ships there. you might want to get a hold of the mod maker or makers. thats what i would do :wink:
bigdaveking
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by bigdaveking »

It is a great mod and im surprised that you really have to look hard to find the download for it but it is from "apoc entertainment" whos website seems to be abandoned so i believe the makers of empire and federation either got bored or went on with real life thus making them beyond contact
:(
S618-18741
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by S618-18741 »

Without actually downloading the mod myself I can't give you specific instructions but I can give you a shove in the right direction.

There are 3 things you have to do:

1) Find the right files
2) Add the ships to a shipyard
3) add them to the techtree

Solution:

1) First your going to want to find the ship and shipyard odf files in the armada root directory there will be ltos of odf files that can be opened in notepad.

The ships your looking for are likely to be names in a logical manner like "fexcel.odf" (might be an excelsior class) or "fedexcel.odf" or summat like that(f is for federation) they might not have any letter infront of them aswell so just "excel.odf", if you cant find them you might want to try looking at files starting with m e.g. "mexcel.odf" as m sometimes signifies a map object.

The next thing you want to have a look for is the odf of the shipyard you want to put the ships into, they will mostlikely be named appropriatly like "fyard1.odf" or "fyard2" or summat similar.

2) Right after you've found the files you want to work with open the shipyard file you want to put the ship into, now your looking for lines like this: buildItem0 = "ship" once you have found them there could be a few e.g.

buildItem0 = "ship1"
buildItem1 = "ship2"
buildItem2 = "ship3"

anyway once you have found this add another line underneath them with the next number on the list, in this case

buildItem3 = "fexcel"

The ship will be the filename of the odf (without the odf extension)

You can add ships like this until you reach buildItem12 I believe after this you cannot add anymore ships to that yard

3) There is one last thing and thats to add the ship to the techtree, there are files in the addon folder with the file extension .tt theese are the techtree files, usually your looking at altering "tech1.tt" (the standard tech tree) and "fulltech.tt" (when you select the free tech option in the game menu) anyway to these you need to add the file name of your ship (including odf extension) so fexcel.odf in my case (you can just add this to the bottem by the way it doesnt matter where in the file you add this) and it will be followed by a number, 0 means that nothing is needed to build this ship which is what I recomend so it would look like this

fexcel.odf 0

This will just let you build the ship as soon as you like.

You can of course limit when the ship can be built but im not going to go into that.
Basically this should get done what you want however there might be no buildbutton so you will just have a gap in the buildlist ingame where the button should be, if you click that gap your ship should start building.
Finally I suggest you read the Big Book of Modding by Westworld it will tell you how to do pretty much anything you want, you can find it both here in the download section at AFC and also at armada2files.

Good luck :)