Another

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:23 pm

As Phantom said, you don't have to use lods in the hierarchy (unless you want to add several levels of detail). You can connect "m_meshname" to "geometry" directly.

If you want to learn more about the art of adding nodes to models, take a look at the SOD Node Cheat Sheet by JkerPlay.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Thank you sirs!
Last edited by doci7 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:19 pm

I guess I might just as well go ahead and ask my next question. As you probably guessed, it's about texturing. Most of the texturing things focus on what you should do if you don't have Photoshop, but as it turned out I had Photoshop before I started this whole modding thing. I'm confused about exporting TGA's. I know they need to be square (not a problem considering I usually start by modifying pre-existing textures) 24-bit uncompressed. But the thing is, with photoshop it seems that all sorts of extra data is still tagged onto the document. When I save a new texture, and compare it to the original I modified it from, the file size is like twice as big, and the kind of document it is is labeled "Targa" or "Adobe Photoshop Targa File" as opposed to "TGA image". I can't seem to export or save it without experiencing some differentiation of this sort- not even using other graphics converters. (It may be important to note that my photoshop computer is not the same as my Armada computer- I play Armada on the ol' 98, and the computer w/ PS is actually a Mac [maybe that's the problem?]). As far as I can tell, I've already worked through all of the odf issues, because the game kicks out when the weapon is fired and after making the sound effect that the odf specifies. So, yeah, texture problem (84.2% sure). Wew! That was a page-full!

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:34 pm

From above "when the weapon fires..." I probably should have mentioned that it was a weapon texture I was making. (a Pulse Phaser, if it matters at all).

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:14 pm

I wouldn't rule out an odf problem. Sometimes the weapon sound is played but the game crashes anyway. This happens when the weapon odf is working but the ordinance odf isn't.

Not sure why photoshop is misbehaving. Seems to work well on my pc. As far as I know, armada is using the simplest tga format; try unchecking any and all special features and tags photoshop is trying to add.

If that fails, see if you can find a free program online that can save in tga. I use paint.net for most of my texturing work, but it might not work on a mac.

Also, have you added a weapon sprite entry into weapons.spr for the new phaser texture?

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:31 pm

Ok, I'l admit you're probably right about the odf thing; but not for the reason I thought. I think I accidentally mixed up an earlier change. There is almost certainly an odf problem now that I really think about it, because I did add the sprite (I should have said so) and to make better sure that it was just the texture, I changed the sprite reference back to wpulse 0 0 64 128. It still didn't work, so something is messed up in one of the odfs. I'l write more when I have more, but at any rate thanks for the TGA advice!

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:05 am

Success!!! Adobe ImageReady can export agreeable TGAs. I've not yet fixed the Ori problem; instead, I discovered that all was well when I started working on a new model- one I made of Anubis' ship yesterday...

... at which point I became frustrated that I didn't have a proper "zap" effect for it. I went on to experiment with making an animated sprite...

... and to my glad surprise, it worked smashingly! (except that I used the odf to make the animation ridiculously wide! [I didn't want it coming out looking like an 8472 Biopulse or something!]). I even successfully made the weapons into area cannons! I'm very happy and stuff. But I do wonder- is there a way I can get a beam to "jump" from ship to ship? Anubis' weapons, if you've never seen Stargate, would hit one ship (and likely blow it up 8) ) and move on to another target (also likely to blow up). I thought that somewhere between the chain reaction pulsar and the corbomite reflector, one might be able to make a beam jump around in such a matter. Let me know if you think it's possible, if you will! Thanks again y-all.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:22 pm

And I thought I had problems before!!!! Now my computer won't even turn on! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:17 am

Most likely a bug in armada code is not causin your computer to misbehave. Hopefully the problem can be fixed.

The Anubis ship looks wonderful!. Should look even better textured.

The "zap" effect looks interesting. Not sure if the chain reaction type behaviour is possible with a beam. Should be worth a try. If I get the time I'll take a look at this for you.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:53 am

Thank you! Hopefully at some point I can get my computer to turn on long enough to get Anubis to a safe spot. I knew I should have put the models on the web as soon as I made them! Ugh! Anyway, yeah. I would still appreciate any insight into chain reaction beams if you do discover anything, because I'm sort of moving my operations to my cousin's computer until I can make mine work. (Moving might be the wrong word, because as I indicated, all of the models are stuck!) Yeah, he's gonna be learning this stuff now too. I'm recruiting!!!

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:25 pm

I'm back in business (at least for now)!!! After several days of complete or relative inoperability, my computer randomly started working again. Don't know if it'll last, so I took all of the Anubis' Ship files and stored them on the web and the mac. Hopefully, the ship should be appearing in the download section of this site within a few days. Since this was all a method of backup, though, I regret to say that the ship is still borrowing a borg texture and therefore still needs work done on it. But at least it's safe now.

wildcard621
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by wildcard621 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 am

For all you out there without Photoshop, I use Irfanview and the GIMP for all my texture editing, along with TXD Workshop for tha alpha texturing and lighting. All are free and available on the web. Just a thought...

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks for that. I think I'm good to texture now; all I still need to get is the initiative to do it! I love making 3D models, and I think I'm getting faster at it, but for whatever reason I hate to take the time to texture. As for what's new, I just redid the Ori model today...

It still has issues, but making an organic-ishly curvy hull is hard! One thing I'd really like to do is make a sort of "Ori Race" for Armada 1. I use quotation marks because everything I've seen so far suggests that you can't add playable races to the original Armada. But I have an idea, based on pre-model-making experiments. It seems that if done correctly, one might be able to make a new construction ship and put it on a buildlist of a pre-existing race, but give it it's own stations to build. This is certainly nothing revolutionary, but it does open up the possibilities, I suppose. Ultimately, what I might do in the distant future is combine the four Armada races into one and dub that group of races "Star Trek". I could then have three other groupings of races- "Stargate," perhaps "Star Wars," and one left open for original races. That's the plan, anyway.

Another question of urgent importance (not really)... how do you get an avatar to work on this site? I've tried everything to post my own (is that a privilege one gets once you've become at least a second year cadet or something?)