Problem Wth models in MS3D

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Jazznaz89
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Problem Wth models in MS3D

Post by Jazznaz89 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:04 am

Hey all, i have an issue with a couple of models i'm making. Please excuse the textures, i'm not adept at all with paint shop pro or photoshop.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/j ... hmm2-1.jpg

See here how the textures have a major noticable seem? Well, i dont know why its doing this. It was an issue even when i had the plain textures(without the panel texture overlay), The areas with the seems would not shade with the rest of the model. Any idea whats going on, or how to fix it? All vertices have been welded.

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:03 am

Hi,

You have a small problem with your texture application.
Part of the texture is defined as “FRONT” an other part as either as “LEFT” or “RIGHT”.
Go to the texture coordinate editor of milkshape to see that.

If you want to avoid that, you have to take a close look at your model before you start texturing and decide which part of it belongs to the front or to one of the other sides.
Done so apply the textures accordingly.

You will see the effect portrayed in your picture always where the different sides of a model meet. You can only minimize it over time, when you get the necessary experience.

:)

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:57 am

Actually this looks more like a smoothing problem (on the model). I don't know much about MS3D, but surely you can do somthing to smooth it out...

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:50 pm

You need to lock the nodes together before you can weld. Select the points (till the boxes turn red) then press Control+N this will lock them in place

if you want to lock a line in place, then highlight the line and press Control +X +Y +Z. Its a great way of ensuring ship is even and flat in places it needs to, such as saucers. remember if you use the axis alignment you will need to do it twice, once for flattening on a flat surface ( Y ) and another for depth/height ( X/Z ) once done, your nodes will be locked. You can also lock via Control+N to be sure.

Once you've locked then weld the nodes (control+w)

If that doesnt sort it then its a face error, commonly caused by poly modeling, - IE you create a box, and delete 5 sides to use 2 polies to use to patch holes or build an area. If it is this problem, you need to delete the affected areas, and replace them with duplicate faces from adjacent areas, lock and weld as you go to ensure you dont get any mesh errors such as the one in your picture before reapplying texture co-ordinates.

Dont forget you can assign a limitless amount of TGAs to a model as long as they are either 64x64 128x128 512x512 1024x1024 pixels in dimension

Hope this helps

Ad'

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:46 pm

I don't have any suggestions; I just thought I'd tell you nice job. The texture job might be somewhat rough, but it's better than I can seem to do (I use MS3D too and I think it leaves a lot to be desired in the texture application field [such as better face selecting tools, or something]). Keep up the good work!

Jazznaz89
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Jazznaz89 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:56 am

Phantom wrote:You need to lock the nodes together before you can weld. Select the points (till the boxes turn red) then press Control+N this will lock them in place

if you want to lock a line in place, then highlight the line and press Control +X +Y +Z. Its a great way of ensuring ship is even and flat in places it needs to, such as saucers. remember if you use the axis alignment you will need to do it twice, once for flattening on a flat surface ( Y ) and another for depth/height ( X/Z ) once done, your nodes will be locked. You can also lock via Control+N to be sure.

Once you've locked then weld the nodes (control+w)

If that doesnt sort it then its a face error, commonly caused by poly modeling, - IE you create a box, and delete 5 sides to use 2 polies to use to patch holes or build an area. If it is this problem, you need to delete the affected areas, and replace them with duplicate faces from adjacent areas, lock and weld as you go to ensure you dont get any mesh errors such as the one in your picture before reapplying texture co-ordinates.

Dont forget you can assign a limitless amount of TGAs to a model as long as they are either 64x64 128x128 512x512 1024x1024 pixels in dimension

Hope this helps

Ad'
Yeh the nodes arnt an issue i always ctrl-n before welding. Its become a habit lol. I think it may be the whole patching up or building with different faces thing. I'll give it a a shot when i get home. Cheers Mate