A Slew of Questions that have been Previously Withheld

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

A Slew of Questions that have been Previously Withheld

Post by doci7 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Okay, most of what I'm wondering about deals with special weapons.

1. Why is it that copies of the Death Chant weapon don't seem to use other sprites even when I change the reference?

2. Can one make a phaser that has a constant drain, rather than a damage amount that comes after it's done firing?

Actually, it's kind of sad, but that's all I can think of to ask right now. I am, as most people are, sort of curious as to how mods like FT managed to add additional playable races, but I assume this information hasn't been shared because the explanation would be too long, or because we can't handle the truth. Thanks ahead of time, though I'll end up thanking you again after you answer whichever question(s) you want to, whoever you might be, generically speaking.

Actually, one other thing: can anyone see the signature image I have under all of my later posts? I was on a different computer today and they showed up as question marks.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Re: A Slew of Questions that have been Previously Withheld

Post by Zman » Tue May 06, 2008 12:26 am

doci7 wrote:1. Why is it that copies of the Death Chant weapon don't seem to use other sprites even when I change the reference?
Here's your anwser. http://forums.filefront.com/st-a2-moddi ... eapon.html
I am, as most people are, sort of curious as to how mods like FT managed to add additional playable races, but I assume this information hasn't been shared because the explanation would be too long, or because we can't handle the truth.
They will tell us when FT is released. Although check the FT gui thread, I think thats where they said it in.
Actually, one other thing: can anyone see the signature image I have under all of my later posts? I was on a different computer today and they showed up as question marks.
I've been able to see it since you joined.
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks Zman!

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Tue May 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Check out the very bottom of the gpdlaser.odf file - there's some lines relating to toggle-based weapons. If that doesn't work, perhaps a phaser with an extremely long lifespan? :)
Melior Posco Venia Quam Scisco Licentia

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Yeah, toggle weapon, good thinking! However, I didn't mean a phaser that never stopped firing, I was more interested in a phaser that damaged an enemy as it fired, rather than as an after-thought, like it currently does. An extra-longlife phaser would just make it take even longer to actually damage something, and a super-shortlife phaser set as a toggleweapon would be prone to targeting different hardpoints with different shots, and therefore wouldn't create the effect of a continuous beam. So, darn.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Yeah, thanks, that could really work! That is, if you can disable the add-shield thing and if the sprite isn't hardcoded like it is with other special weapons, such as those previously mentioned.

I have a new question. Could you possibly add a custom smoke sprite to a ship that is not damaged?