Sound Problems...

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

trekmanalpha
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Sound Problems...

Post by trekmanalpha » Thu May 08, 2008 6:54 pm

I dont know if anyone else has this problem, but when ever i play armada 1, with my XP system, all the sounds of the Voiceovers have a kind of choppy lag to them. I have the latest audio drivers for my onboard divices, but still cannot hear the voiceovers properly. "Station is under attack" sounds like "Stat..Un..At..k" but more like "Statunatk".

Any ideas?

trekmanalpha
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Rollback isues...

Post by trekmanalpha » Fri May 09, 2008 4:02 pm

The main problem with that is that there is nothing to roll back to. The drivers i use came with my pc...

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:08 am

You might try reinstalling if you haven't already. I used to have a lot of sound troubles too. I took A1 off my computer for a really long time and when I finally decided that I wanted to play it again, when I reinstalled the sound worked fine. But don't get your hopes up too much, as my Armada computer is and always has been a '98 Gateway.

Braggi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Braggi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:19 am

I realize this is an older post but I wanted to add my personal experience with Armada 1 sound issues.

A few points that need to be mentioned:

1. The choppy sound tends to be the worst from onboard sound devices, also known as "codecs" (not to be confused with the video codec software that allow you to watch various movie formats in media player or other video playback applications). These onboard sound devices are built into the motherboard itself, are quite inexpensive and emulate sound functions as compared to an actual add-in sound board.

2. The sound problem hits Win XP systems the hardest (and I would also assume Vista and Win 7 as well). It affects voice and sound effects but not music.

3. I have run into this problem (garbled voice/sound fx, music OK) with several other older games from the fantasy genre - specifically NWC/3DO's might and magic series, from MM 6 and up.

The good news: If you have a soundblaster (possibly other brands too?) add-in card, you may be able to correct the worst of the sound issues through the windows control panel. (I use a very old SB PCI128 card which is quite reliable. Additionally, the instruction here are for an XP-based system - your mileage may vary.) To see if this will work for you, go to:
  • * Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices> Audio tab
    * Under Sound Playback click the Advanced button
    * Click the Performance tab
    * Here you will find two sliders - you want the Hardware Acceleration slider to be adjusted. Move it to one setting to the right of "None".
Using my sound card, this removes the garble from sound and speech files.

*Note*: This method is absolutely useless for the various ViaAudio onboard sound devices. So far as I know it only works on add-in cards and I have not tested it with anything except the above mentioned SB card and ViaSound onboard devices.

Now, as to why I mentioned the fantasy games in point #3 of the first part of the post: Similar to Armada 1, the various MM games were native to Direct X 7/8 Apparently the sound libraries were changed pretty drastically on the way to DX9, resulting in the garble problems some games experience. Fans who were willing to code sat down and did a DX library update for MM 6-9, which removed the choppy, mixed voice files and sound effects, effective restoring full function to the game on newer XP-based systems as a result. (I have and use these library patches and they are excellent.)

I am not a coder, but I wonder if there are any in the community with the savvy and experience to tackle something like this?

Just a thought...