Borg Shields... ?

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

trekmanalpha
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Borg Shields... ?

Post by trekmanalpha » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:06 am

Is there a way to disable the shields on all the Borg ships, but have them have a massive amount of hull hitpoints? or are they both the same. I was thinking about taking this command:

shieldGeneratorHitPoints = 20

and making it:

shieldGeneratorHitPoints = 0

Any ideas on if that would work, or would the ship not be built or crash the game? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks all...

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Borg Shields... ?

Post by Zman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:21 pm

trekmanalpha wrote:Is there a way to disable the shields on all the Borg ships, but have them have a massive amount of hull hitpoints? or are they both the same. I was thinking about taking this command:

shieldGeneratorHitPoints = 20

and making it:

shieldGeneratorHitPoints = 0

Any ideas on if that would work, or would the ship not be built or crash the game? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks all...
Its possible but every attempt that I know of results in the shields down effect.

With A1 there is no shields down effect so it actually works there.
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

trekmanalpha
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

???

Post by trekmanalpha » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:32 pm

what do yo mean "shields down" effect? I am only modding A1, so I am unsure what you mean...

trekmanalpha
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

understood

Post by trekmanalpha » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:19 pm

ok, gotcha. Thanks...

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:33 pm

I believe that the aforementioned 'shields-down' effect can be replaced though (in A1). You would need to find its' texture and replace it with one fully black, and the end result would be an invisible shields-down effect, so in effect it's then disabled.

However, then none of the ships of any race would show the shields-down effect. It's just another option. :)
Melior Posco Venia Quam Scisco Licentia

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:43 pm

i don't know about A1 but in A2 you can have shields and hull hitpoints separate. so you can have say 2000 hullhitpoints and 1200 shield hitpoints. I have it this way on my Borg ships...

maxhull = 25000
curhull = 25000
hullrate = 250.0

maxshields = 0
curshields = 0
shieldrate = 0

shieldhitpoints = 0

This wil completely disable the shields but not give you the shields-down- effect as you call it.
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:53 pm

cabal wrote:A1 doesn't have hull hitpoints at all, just shield hitpoints.
Then what youd want to do is shrink the shields INSIDE the Borg Vessel, that way the phasers still look like they penetrate but you wont see them.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 pm

cabal wrote:You can't adjust the size of the shield bubble for a ship or change the shield .sod for individual ships. I tried over 40 commands. It can't be done.
Showoff :cry:

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:57 am

I'm not sure that it's entirely true that there are is no hull for A1. I've made a couple of models for A2 that I converted to A1 but didn't change the odf. Each of these ships, when their shields are down, tend not to take any system damage; only elevated crew loss. I think the line about hull strength in the A2- formated odf may be related to this anomaly, but I don't know for sure. But needless to say, it may be possible to have health without a health bar.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Oh, that explains it. Thanks.

Chip
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Chip » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:21 am

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've used the maxshields = 0 line in modifying the Romulan War mod for A2.

Anyhow, I just thought, could the shield hitpoints still be used as a sort of armour system (i.e it doesnt do anything except absorb damage) without bringing up the shields down effect?
Alternatively, is there another way to add armour (useless system) hitpoints?

Also, whats the curshield line do? Never seen it before (I don't think I have anyway).

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Sorry to show you up Cabel, but if this helps but the USS Defiant on FT uses :

MaxArmor = 200

Which gives it health after shields are down. It gets a little temporamental if the armor value is greater than the shield value however.

Alternate ways of getting around it is the hit chances

These are in the battle.odf and other class ODFs and basically list the probability of damage on all weapons. You could rig it so that they all are more likely to damage a system other than shields or the hull. Word of warning, they'll crash if they dont total a value of 100 ;)

'Impossible' is a term used too often ;) limits yes but theres always a way :)

AD'

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:03 pm

Chip wrote:Also, whats the curshield line do? Never seen it before (I don't think I have anyway).

Curshield I think applies to the shield value on the GUI, negative shield amounts are funny. Type -1500 and you get an inverted shield bar that screws up the GUI lol. Best guess is its just a relation to GUI placement or the health bar that appears around the ship itself

Ad'

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:05 am

if you want to see curshield in action, go download ST VS SW and build a regular tie fighter

Captain_Bruce
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Captain_Bruce » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:27 am

A1 has hull hitpoints, look in your activision odfs. Also remember that there's those hit chances you gotta mess with. Those suck cuz with shields down you have an x.x% chance of spontaneously exploding. with a dreadnought like the cube it's set default to .5% which means if you get shot 100 times with ANY WEAPON of ANY strength your cube is lucky to still be alive. So theoretically, in the A1 a fleet of 16 scouts fire 6 times and have a 48% chance of killing a DAMN CUBE. Ain't math a son of a bitch? So make sure to set that chance of spontaneously combusting very low or just make it close to 0 and remember the other hit chances must add up to 100%. Although I don't know what setting it to 0 does, it may make your ship indestructible, I'll go check real quick. Some will dispute my math because each shot is an unrelated event according to some people, but those people are kidding themselves. The fact that each event is perpetuated in the pursuit of a common goal, we can correlate and calculate that after 100 shots you got a 50/50 chance of being alive.
With the dreamer dies the dream, with the dream dies the dreamer.