Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

A1 Multi-classlabel files?

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi there,
I've heard rumors from several older modders that in Armada I it is possible to have ordnance files use multiple classlabels to sum effects.

However, I have not come across any mods that use this, and unfortunately my own copy of A1 has some issues that I have not yet been able to resolve.

Consequently, I'm curious to know if any Armada I modders have experimented with or know about this possibility, and whether they might post an ODF or two as an example :).

Cheers!

(p.s. if true, is this possible just for ordnance classes, or weapon, explosion, and gameobject?)

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:08 pm

As far as I know, the class label line can only be used once per object, regardless of what type of object this is. I say this from a programming perspective, as the class label seems to be used only to initialize a class (ie, construct a new object of the class specified by the class label). If you try to initialize a class twice by having two class labels, the first one will simply be overwritten...

I might be wrong, as the class label might also be used to write in some default values into a new object. In that sense, you could conceivably write in some default values from two different classes, and thereby combining their effects.

I tend to think that this isn't really a rumour, but an exaggeration. It is possible for a weapon to have effects from multiple class labels through use of the uball object. The uball is just a weapons platform that can fire off any number of other weapons, combining their effects. The only downside to this is that for a relatively simple weapon, you might end up to 10 or so ODFs ;)

To answer your last question, you can use the uball to create other objects. Those objects may be game objects such as nebulas, debris, even ships (although this seems to have crashed on me every time after 10-15 secs).
The most useful object that the ubal created for me has been the research pod. Those things explode the moment they are created and can be used to generate shockwaves, and any number of interesting "explosion" effects.

Cheers :)

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Hey Mr. Vulcan,
Thanks for your reply - that is interesting too, as Phantom was one of those who mentioned this capability. I cannot say I am terribly surprised though, due to the very object oriented system of A1/A2, but didn't hurt to ask :).

Yes, we use the UtritiumBeam and UtritiumBall quite extensively in Fleet Ops, especially as a base for ReplaceWeapons and ExtraWeapons etc :) .