Dominion playable in A1?

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

istvan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Dominion playable in A1?

Post by istvan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi, I'm just another modding noob with a noob question. I digged out Armada 1 after not having played it for years. After completing the campaign, I wanted to do more than just making new multiplayer maps with the editor. I always wanted to add Dominion forces as a race for multiplayer mode to Armada 1, mainly because there are already some ships and buildings included in the game.

I've downloaded the awesome modding book and started playing around with the odfs. There is a description for adding a new playable race to Armada 2 but not for Armada 1. I tried it anyway, but it didn't work. So I tried editing an existing race, but again with no effect.
So where is my fault?

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:54 am

A1 doesn't allow addition of new race slots in the instant action setup. You can work around this by using dominion map units as starting units.

With great difficulty, it is also possible to change the races in missions. I've had very limited success here.

What happened when you tried to edit an existing race? If you are replacing a race entirely, make sure you have the race name defined in races.odf, max of 10 races here. Everything else is just editing the stats.

istvan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by istvan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:35 am

Hm. I made a map with Dominion units (some Destroyers and a Shipyard in the middle, everything in purple nebula), but that's not quite the same (for balancing reasons -> the one who captures it firs and manges to build some warships wins immediately). Maybe I'll try to make a Dominion builder (the omega vessel) as map unit so that players can actually build dominion buildings (Shipyard and Cloning Facility) but that also causes problems.

I've seen the ten races in races.odf and that was why I thought it could be possible to add one (that more or less already exists). So I was looking for an option like "playable in multiplayer mode" in the .odfs. Well, now I know why this was not successfull.

Maybe I wasn't conequent enough in my attempt to change an entire, existing race. I changed some points but didn't see any effect. I'll retry that maybe. Anyway, I would have needed some standard buildings for my Dominion forces, at least as placeholders, so the changes wouldn't be so big.

Thanks for your help.

istvan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by istvan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:44 pm

OK, I've tried it again and now it works. Under certain conditions (only in the "no superweapons"-mode) you can play the Dominion by choosing the Federation in the pulldown-menu. A good Option, because I wouldn't have a Dominion superweapon anyway.

The rest is "under construction" but works quite well for the beginning. There are already enough ships in Armada 1 to form an interesting Dominion fleet, but the lack of special buildings (except the Dominion shipyard and the cloning facility) forces me to use federation buildings as placeholders unless I have better ones.

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 am

for ships you can use dark alliance mod, millenium project etc...for stations...for starbase you could use clonning facility, you have shipyard (let's say advanced), for turrets you could use ones of klingons...

however i believe it could be possible to add fifth race in A1...with all sods, tgas, odfs and so on..

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:04 am

istvan,

Interesting solution to selecting the "5th" race. Cheers

galac, it is possible to have 10 races, but the fact remains that only 4 will be selectable from the instant action menu.

You may spawn a new race during gameplay (ie, rebels out of the Federation). The race will have its own crew stats (crew strength) and voice-overs. AI will follow that race's retreat ratios and ship behavior. For some maps that may be all you'll need.

istvan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by istvan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 pm

@galac: The Cloning Facility has already been implemented as Dominion Starbase and of course I use the Dominion Shipyard. Because I replaced the Federation in this certain mode, I mainly used Federation buildings as placeholders. But it may very well be that the Dominion will have less buildings or buildings with different roles and functions. The challenge for me is to keep things working and balanced by using as much existing material as possible.

@MrVulcan: You mention a very interesting option. I'll try to use it, if I can.

@galac and MrVulcan:
Thanks a lot for your advice!

Now, I'm planning how to use the existing ships of the Dominion (and its allies, Cardassians and Breen) to form a fleet that is different from what other races have, but still balanced in strengths and weaknesses.
The Dominion Warship will be less strong and cheaper than the Borg Cube, but stronger and more expensive than a Sovereign Class. A change of the special weapon will be likely, because the shield disruptor might be a bit too imba.
The most expensive ship of the Dominion will be the Breen Tech-Cruiser, that will be stronger than other scinece ships in normal combat, but its special weapons will not be the best.
The cardassian Galor-Class will be the Sub-Battleship (like the Dreadnaught in Armada 2), cheaper but weaker, and I'll try to make an exclusive, not yet existing long range special weapon for it. The Galor fills the gap of the missing "Phaser-Only" and "Torpedo-Only"-ships.
Dominion Destroyer and Cardassian Dumar-Class will be Scout and Destroyer.
The Omega-Vessel looks already great as Builder and hired Ferengi with Marauders do the mining for the Dominion forces.

Test play will show if changes to this concept for balancing reasons will be necessary.

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:01 am

hey, i'm just wondering can you make dominion as fifth playable race for A1?? so you can select federation, romulans, klingons borg and dominion in instant action... imagine epic battle on large 2 players map... borg vs dominion :)

if you want, i could convert some cardassian ships from A2 or those domionion ships created for A2...

i'm so excited, beacuse i always missed dominion in instant action

i've just remembered one thing..you could use son'a ships aswell because son'a were manufacturing large quantities of the Dominion narcotic ketracel-white if you've watched ds9...so, you could have destroyer and battleship

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:18 am

you could this for dominion background music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEINtFQ3SHo

istvan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by istvan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:11 am

@galac: I know, I could use Son'a ships for my Dominion Fleet and I will do it, if necessary. But look, I already struggle to define individual, new roles for two ships that are originally destroyers (Dominion Destroyer and Dumar Class) and three battleships (Galor-Class, Breen Ship, Dominion Warship) without crippeling them completely. What should I do with another destroyer and another battleship?

The standard Armada 1-Fleet has a scout ship, a destroyer, a phaser frigate, a torpedo ship, a science vessel and a battleship. To keep the balance between the races, I can't change too much. And it should still somehow fit into the Star Trek Universe we all know, so there is not much room for experiments. Introducing the Galor as a Dreadnaught and the breen Ship as a Tech-Cruiser is already risky. I hope, there will be a use for these ships in actual gameplay, without being totally imba.

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:22 am

i see now..tell me mate, when we can expect mod's release? btw do you have construction ship and dilithium freighter?

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:26 am

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/afc/m ... s&lid=1241

this is dominion construction ship for a2...looks decent... and there in a1 downloads is karemma freighter and karemma are economic part of dominion so you should check it...

istvan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by istvan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 am

Dominion construction ship ist the Omega-Vessel (and it looks really nice for that purpose), Dilithium freighters are Ferengi Marauders at the moment.

In my opinion, the Dominion construction ship in your link looks more like a dilithium freighter with those cargo containers.

You want to know when the "mod" will be released? I never thougt about a release, to be honest. Maybe because I expected the Armada community to be more or less dead. I don't think that I do anything special here. Some .odf change is not a serious mod from my point of view. I take stuff that already exists and mix it together to form something new, that's it. Another problem is that I translated the tooltips and stuff to German (as you may have noticed, my English is not the best). For a release, a re-translation would be necessary.

I didn't make any progress in the last two weeks because I am abroad. During the next weeks, I'll continue but there is no deadline for me. Having a working version in the second week of November should be realistic. You'll be the first to know ;)

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:04 pm

there's no need for rush...if you wanna get thing working :D i'd like to play that "mod"...because i would like to have instant action consisting of 5 strongest sides in ST universe...

i like the fact you are trying to keep original units (Y)
i even import units from A2 to A1 cause i consider prequel than sequel...i'm looking foward seeing this...