A2 ships converted for A1

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

A2 ships converted for A1

Post by galac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:19 am

Hi guys...I play A1 since its release to this day. :D I always considered prequel better than sequel. I did some tweaking with odf files and made possible dominion, son'a, etc. ships buildable in instant action. However i'd like to see some ships from A2 in A1. I saw couple months ago that some guys converted Borg from A1 to A2, so i think this would be possible to convert ships, stations from A2 to A1. So, if anybody can help me and cheer me up i would be deeply thankfull..Guys please help me :)

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:46 am

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:50 am

thx mate...

any tutorial how to use it, how to convert? i'm new in this stuff

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:17 am

You're welcome.

Yes a manual (PDF and Word) is included in the archive file.

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:42 am

i'll try something....i have 3ds max 7 d'loaded...so i import sod from A2 and than export it to A1, right...

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:27 am

galac wrote:i'll try something....i have 3ds max 7 d'loaded...so i import sod from A2 and than export it to A1, right...
Basically, yes.
You import the A2 sod file using Mr. Vulcan's script.
Run the script like it's described in the manual.
I don't know if you can re-export it without changes to the hierarchy of the SOD (I think A1 SODs need to have a 'root' hp where all the other hps, sprites,... are parented to).
Also, you'll need to remove the alpha channels from the texture files because the will appear transparent ingame instead of being used as light maps.

For further information take a look at the Big Book of Modding. There's a chapter about model making including hierarchy and sprites.

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am

ok, ok...can you please explain me step by step? i have 3ds max 7, those import scripts and i found export scripts both for A1 and A2...i know i'am asking lot from you, but i'd be great that mr. volcano help if he can...thx in advance mate...

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 am

btw all i need for now is borg colony ship, aka pyramid

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 am

Hi Galac

You will need to edit the textures as Tommygun mentioned.

A2 uses transparency to indicate glows on the model. A1 doesn't do this and instead uses the transparency for.. you guessed it, transparency.

You would need a graphics editing program like paint.net or photoshop or gimp.. etc. Each has its own methods of editing transparencies, but in my personal opinion, paint.net has the most intuitive options.

The idea is to change the transparent pixels back to fully opaque. You would have to find out for the program of your choice how to accomplish this. I can help out with the steps if you have paint.net

As for import/export. Import the model using the SODImportBasic script, and export back using the A1 export script. Doing nothing at all will still give you decent results.

I would recommend deleting anything in the hierarchy that isn't useful in A1, ei, the borg assimilation texture (for non-borg ships), damage nodes / emitters (since the entries might not exist in A1 sprite files). Also replace the bumpmap texture with "none" in material editor as A1 does not support bumps.

This is just off the top of my head. Might need something else.

Cheers

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 am

galac wrote:btw all i need for now is borg colony ship, aka pyramid
There's a much easier way to do that if you have no experience with modeling software: download Major A Payne's Borg Incursion: Vital Responses mod.
I think to remember that he used a pretty decent A1 SOD of the ship there.

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 pm

MrVulcan if you can write me down how to all of this using paint.net I could try...1. step I already know (how to import A2 SOD to 3dsmax using 1st script you have provided.. I can export aswell...but Importing A2 SOD and exporting it to A1 SOD does nothing...I tried..

Tommy can you give me link please? I had pretty hard day...I'm too tired for searching now..

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:02 pm

galac wrote: Tommy can you give me link please? I had pretty hard day...I'm too tired for searching now..
Same here.
Tell me your mail in a private message and I'll send the SOD and texture files as I have the ship here myself.

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:46 pm

ok, thanks...if we master this, i think we could create even races for A1 from A2...

if mrvulcan teaches me, i could convert type 03 (assimilator) class from A2...

while playing SFC3 i was thinking is it possible to convert those ships to A1 or A2?

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:26 pm

I think converting stock A2 ships to A1 is not necessary nowadays because most of them where remodelled in a much higher quality than the stock ones (Aad Moerman for example re-created all of them, see: http://armada2.filefront.com/developer/ ... rman;24929)

Yes, many SFC3 vessels are available for A1/2 as well and it's also pretty easy to convert them as there are also import/export tools.

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 am

i saw link..those are only for A2 :( it seems i can try this myself...damn...it'd be great to create those romulan ships from SFC3