Introductions: Future Tense

30 Years after "Nemesis" The torch of adventure is about to be passed from the Next Generation to the New Generation on an all new Enterprise

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:16 am

I like Constitutions, but I cant see why they'd be used in 2409 which is 300 or so years after the era of Kirk. I may make something with a similar shape or something but as Cecil stated the Federation ship list (pending permits) is more or less completed. I'll post up a ship list once they are all modeled with their special features were needed

If you make a post on the Model wishlist forum for the Constitution III then someone may make it

Adam,

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:16 pm

I don't get it, this mod is supossed to be for armada 1, but it so many races. in armada 1 you can only have four.
what are you doing?

brobrodeel
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
Location: In the USS Deel, Ramming Quantum Torpedos up your a$$.

Post by brobrodeel » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:21 pm

It probally has something to do with the unused code they found.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:38 pm

HEHE :wink: u never know lol :P

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:28 am

what about balancing the mod
there are many mods out there where they realy have not thought about balancing im mainly talking about millenium project i thought the ships were not balanceed to much and fired at to many ships at once and when building the last ship on the yard list being able to destroy everything with that ship like the tactical fusion cube(no offence to the makers of the mod at all i luved the models and ideas but they realy did not think about how the game played to was the original armada 2 all over again haveing a massive fleet and blowing up every thing)

i know this mod will not be like that i love the models they have there own unique look that is perfect for the first armada game.you have certainly thought this through well done.will this version be released in december or early january and will it have a campain(i would luv to see a campain because in all the mods ive played there is no modifyed campain)

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:51 pm

Each race is balanced in their own ways. When fighting the Reman say, and your in say a Federation battleship, it is suicide taking it on head on, if you swing behind and fire Quantums at her aft end, you'd cripple her shields and probably blow out a sensor system or too. That is the sorta balance we have, not like weapon hit damages are the same like in the original game.

Each race has built in disadvantages. One of the Borgs for example is that they dont have a construction ship (since everything is built out from the Central Plexus to form a Unicomplex) as a result, they cant build sensor platforms or mining stations outside the complex (Unless they assimilate one) that therefore means that their mining abilities are in danger from heavy attack.

Ships seen on Trek, are going to be made as canon as Armada allows (You may notice the Sovereign having Skin Shields aswell as normal shields, new photons, new torpedobanks and armour and astec paneling for example)

So every canon model will be made canon. Those that arent, unless they have statements from the creators as for the Republic Class, it has the ability to overload the sensor banks and produce an electritical discharge beam that wreaks havoc on an enemy ship (though the sensors and weapons become damaged) then they are made to moderate match the canon so they fit in. Physics too. I mean an Intrepid can spin around and fly in 3D with ease, whereas a Sovereign cant make tight corners and has a slow acceleration time in comparrison with something like the Defiant.

The Sernaix are beeing worried as a GOD race. If you are using Phasers and Torpedoes (Photon) then they will be. The Future Tense's (Crew/Weapon) special weapons are being designed to do more damage to Sernaix ships than usual (1.2) so they will be more vunerable to special weapon assault and that would be their slow point. They also lac warp drive on most of their ships, and are fairly slow and clumbsy at impulse to help balance it

But yeah, one thing I wanted made in Future Tense, is that for beating the races, I wanted the player to force change strategies. So fighting the Borg say, if you man your fleet in small enough numbers or a large one outside their sensor range of the complex or assimilated structures, and dont provoke them, you could get quite close to the complex before a battle ensues as we are going to try and make the Borg act like Borg in that they only attack what they consider a threat.

The Federation have 30 types of ships ( 26 starships 4, harvesters, constructions and repairs ) ranging from power and usage including cruisers, scouts, assaults, unmanned destroyers, battleships, flagship etc) as a result they have a wide array of uses and can be used strategically in fighting or defending the base (FT has 3 Nebula classes in a sweet base, whereby each nebula has a special build animation where you can select what pod you wish to put on the ship, Offence, Science or Defence.

The Romulans rely on their Cloaks and stealth technology, so they could get into the base without your knowledge, and with the Reman support they can quickly launch an all out assault with little or no warning.

They vary from race to race. So you have to think strategically, and go in for the kill so to speak.

Adam,

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:07 pm

Sounds really, really good. The Armada 2 that should have been. (Thankfully, it is very simple to put Armada 1 stuff into Armada 2, which goes to show that the game really wasn't improved too drastically, though I do appreciate the slightly better graphics and much better interface, as well as less race restrictions.)

And that reminds me. If this mod has Federation, Klingon, Borg, Romulan, Reman, and Sernaix playable, how can it be for A1? Or did I miss the part when you decided to change to A2?

BTW - as I said earlier, I think the Sernaix kinda sound like a ripoff of Species 8472, turned green and made a little bit more insectoid in ship design...I mean come on. Biotech-using super-race from another dimension, hell-bent on destroying the Borg and whatever else gets in their way, hard to communicate with, super-powerful, not particularly friendly, and with only a bare few weaknesses...I know you took them from Voyager's Virtual Seasons, but still, it seems like a better and more original enemy could be devised somehow (I have yet to see a real "zombie race" in an Armada mod, for example). Just a minor nitpick.

If the mod is being made for A2, will it have alpha channels and light maps?
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

Hardyous
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Hardyous » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:48 am

i dont think this will be as easy to convert at all, its full of brand new weapons ideas and stuff, its certainly a mod that one is going to be afraid of changing anything incase it goes horribly wrong.

have you given any consideration to the online play of future tense?

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:59 am

Future Tense is for Armada 1 so far.

The reason why there are so many races is because, well we found a way to do it. Not the logicalist way of doing it but the computer knows the difference between one ship from the rest of the 6 races and then the map units et au which is good.

As for being converted to A2. Future Tense A1, uses a lot of unused code from Armada 1's ODFs, codes which dont seem to work in A2. So a lot of the new features in Future Tense would be incompatible with A2 unfortunatly. Whether this means a sorta expansion pack is released on A2, or time is spent testing various ODF codes to create new things or something I don't know, it isnt on the agenda yet.

As for online FT. How would one go about sorting that out?

The Sernaix hate Borg, not enough to go on an all out assault. Species 8472 was attacked in their space so they retaliated. The Sernaix are trans-dimensional beings that want sole domination over everything whereas 8472 were just fighting the Borg because they were defending themselves. They only went on to attack the Hirogen and Humanity because Voyager interviened, and the Hirogen hunted them

Ad'

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:42 pm

WOW and i mean WOW so there will be very new features in this mod cool.have you changed the way a ship fires its weapons?what i mean is do they fire there weapons like. phaser then torp phaser then torp or will you beable to select the weapon like changing photons to quantums.

i like the ideas you have made up for the ships and special weapons great work.are you planning a release in december(i bet you get asked that question all the time sorry)

brobrodeel
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by brobrodeel » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:41 pm

Are you using the techtree trick? I guess you could call it that. :twisted:

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:57 pm

The models are using a special Hardpoint system that will tell the ship to fire photons or quantums on feds and the race equivilants, it also means they will fire at aft targets from aft bays,

Techtree Trick?

Ad'

brobrodeel
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by brobrodeel » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:59 pm

That thing where you can choose a diffrent setting and use a diffrent race.It was in an A1 mod im not sure which.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:19 pm

Ah, no all the races are ingame in one time. All you do is select which one you want to use lol - no techtree tricks I assure you, - well only for the Borg Assimilation Beam, as to adapt and include it into the collective, you have to assimilate a ship with it first. That way say you assimilated a Sovereign a borg sphere would have skin shields, while say a borg cube would have multi-target enhanced weapons - that is about as complicated as the tech tree gets to be honist

Ad'

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:13 am

Do the skin shields prevent against other ships that try to transport landing parties to a ship - like regular shields? It's too bad a lot of this can't be incorporated into Armada II. I've been working on a program that launches Armada II, adding features to the game without editting any files at all. It's my hope that I may be able to get around classLabel things if successful - but I have no idea how I'll do that yet. I sure learned a lot of C++ in the process, however. It may possibly be a way of being a catalyst for Armada II to do things it wouldn't normally do - I hope that is the case because, though Armada II is more moddable in some ways than Armada I, Armada I does have the previously unused code that is a great advantage. The program I'm making is my own little project so far, as is my mod and everything else I'm doing so far.

I can't wait to see Future Tense when it comes out because it may switch me back to modding Armada I, which I did just a little until Armada II came out. If there is a type of corbomite shield that could be made that would conform to the shape of ships in Armada II, that would be great. That would be an issue of tricking the game into thinking the ship was smaller than it actually is so that the shield wasn't far away from the ship. At any rate, I'm glad you guys are willing to try everything in Future Tense. Eversince I've heard of the mod, it's been my most awaited mod ever. Will Armada I work with Windows XP, because I've heard of issues on some threads that it doesn't. I hope it does because I'll be itching to play Future Tense when it comes out. I could never ignore the opportunity to see all of these new features in action - I'll clean install my system with Windows 98 as a second operating system just to try it! The screenshots of the mod are great! The techtree thing sounds neat. It looks as if the skin shields are a special weapon that the Borg can assimilate - hmmmm... Keep up the great work!!!