Introductions: Future Tense

30 Years after "Nemesis" The torch of adventure is about to be passed from the Next Generation to the New Generation on an all new Enterprise

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:08 pm

will you be updating the home page at all becuase there is loads of info missing and it has not been updated for ages.

whats happening about resource collecting then and will there be some sort of trading idea and hiring mercinarys or something

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:33 pm

My Armada is on Windows XP home Edition

You'll need Patch 1.2 for Future Tense to work, as all the modding is done on 1.2 though I have edited the command RTS files that are updated as part of the dogfight enhancements so make sure that Armada + 1.2 is on your computer before installing Future Tense on top of it

There will be several mining resources on the game, Moons, Asteroids and Planetary Atmospheres are among them. Nebulas pending further investigation on our Nebulas, and if we really fancy having a 10th nebula on the game lol.

Borg gather resources differently, they can either do what the races do and harvest the above locations, or they can just assimilate other races resources, and add it to their own if done correctly

Armada 1 does support Trading, however it'll only work online or on a LAN server where you can transfer ships, crew or resources to another player. The AI doesnt trade back :/

Though now, if you give a race a ship for a battle, and it survives, they on occasion, will send a ship down to protect your refinery if it is poorly guarded. Klingons are the best at this, as they will send 3 Birds of Prey to guard after giving them an Intrepid Class so, if you program allies and advisaries then you can trade in a way, the AI will only aid in protecting or will join you in a small fleet if you are engaged by a superior enemy as Romulans are nutorious for that, (You give them a ship or resources, and they send about 6-8 ships and aid your attack on a base) - though all of us were assimilated anyhow - but that's beside the point

There are support races on Future Tense, along with secrets, you for example learn what really happened to the 1701-E, you can find lots of older ships used in early TNG like Excelsiors trapped inside things, and use them to support fleets, but the support races will obviously be good at supporting fleets as they'd either be slow and powerful, or light and manuvourable, so they will prove their worth in battle but beyond that, they arent as skilled at anything else

As for the website, I havent had a chance to update it, FT, work and other stuff has kept me too busy,

Future Tense is looking at Jan/Feb release as there is still an awful lot to do

Adam,

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:44 am

well at the moment im waiting for fleet ops version 3 which will be out very soon at that will be my favourite mod for armada 2 but i think the tense trilogy will be the best for armada 1

will there be the old ships in the tense trilogy like the defiant class norway saber akira etc....meaning unmodifyed or modifyed for the seting that future tense is in or will they be completely different.and how about how much things will cost and reaserch please tell. can you give me more info on how the borg work as well and how they play and will they have the same ships like interceptor,cube,sphere,tactical cube(please dont have any of thease new borg ships that dont look borg at all,no offence to anyone elses designs though)im realy starting to get interested in this mod because there is so much you are doing 8)

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:50 am

The Borg in Future Tense are 90% Canon to Star Trek the Next Generation. Star Trek First Contact, and Star Trek Voyager

The 10% difference is that there are Borg harvest units and enhancements to the Unicomplex to suit the needs of the game

The Borg Ships are:

Probe (Seen in Star Trek Voyager: Dark Frontier Part 1)
Sphere (Seen in Star Trek First Contact)
Sphere (Seen in Star Trek Voyager with assimilation chambers)
Cube (Seen in Star Trek Voyager & The Next Generation)
Cube (Seen in Star Trek First Contact with diployable Sphere)
Tactical Cube (Seen in Star Trek Voyager: Unimatrix Zero)
Diamond (Seen in Star Trek Voyager: Dark Frontier Part 2)

The only other ship is an "Assimilator" and "Assimilator Mk2" they arent the ones on Armada but a new type of resource gatherer that will assimilate resources and deliver back to the collective

There are a few 'classic' Federation ships lurking about Future Tense

Some are damaged map units, some are refits. Ones in the fleet are:

Defiant
Defiant Refit
Steamrunner Refit
Tempest (Which is sorta a Sucessor to the Norway Class)
Perandaon Class (Sabre with a new saucer and torpedo pod)
Galaxy Class Refit (What the rediculous GalX should have been a refitted Galaxy Class)
Sovereign Nemesis Refit (Replica of the ship in Star Trek Nemesis complete with new shields)
Nebula Class' (Future Tense has 3 varients and are the fleet's super ships and you'll find out why when you play it)

Ones that are built for the map like the "junkyard" map, will include Akiras and Sabres maybe an Excelsior but they will be scavenger types you can rescue and use

I posted tactical strengths and weaknesses on all races on page 1. It'll give an idea of costs and effectiveness of ship.

The Research structure for the races are all different too. the example of the federation say are modpods., where by you enhance systems to open new weapons. Example being you enhance a ship's phaser arrays and sensor pods, and you can target and fire at cloaked ships if you can find them as Armada's sorta map revealing pods are a thing of the past, you have to lock on manually to hit em

Ad'

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:01 pm

what else can i say WOW i think this is the mod ive been waiting for it has all the enhancments and changes that i ever wanted in an armada 1 mod

who is on your team then and whats there job i am realy starting to get interested

the only thing im confused about is the remans.have they left romulan space and set up there own empire or have they made an allience with the romulans so that they are granted the need to build there ships from romulan shipyards or is there a different story.always thought the remans where a slave race and have not the means to build up a empire but they did have a good ship the scimitar

please tell me more about maps how have you changed them will they be bigger,im realy interested phantom

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:10 pm

The Remans maintain there sorta small existance, they don't have a territory. After the events of Nemesis,

Romulus and Earth call a peace treaty which is set before the mod abolishing the Neutral Zone. Though the Treaty of Algeron is still in enforcements so Federation ships cannot have cloaking devices or enter Romulan Space without permits.

The Remans are sorta in the backbone of the Romulans, they assist in building ships, and have a few of their own, not a huge fleet, they have abour 8 - 10 vessels depending if you count the harvester and constructor and they have support stations. They are never really seen outside of Romulan space as they are very much to themselves in a quest to be self supportive now that the Romulans are starting to accept them against prejudice

The maps are going to be totally new

There will be 8 - 10 varients of Nebulas, each with their own effect including following testing the Ice Storm Asteroid field scene in Titan AE. We are testing Armada's reflective abilities at the moment. The map sizes will be about 4 times larger than an average Armada map, illustrating the need for Warp Drive, Transwarp and any other race eqivilants. There will also be multiple harvest gathering locations, including Asteroids, Moons, Planetary atmospheres, and the possibilty of stellar dust clouds.

There will also, pending on where the map is based, there will be a location for where map races are living. An example would be the area around the Bajoran Wormhole, if your lucky you may see Deep Space Nine, and find a Cardassian vessel or too.

Klingon Space has been conquered by the Sernaix as the Klingons were still recovering from loosing so many ships to the Dominion in their raids so the ones scattered in Federation space are all that are left of the Klingon fleet, other vessels have been either dismantled or destroyed by the Sernaix.

The others on the team are:

QuantumHalo:
He is making the new startup movie intro (Which is set up like a film interms of credits, special soundscore which i have made, uses highpoly models of the ships thanks to a newly installed plug in that turns Armada models to 100,000 poly models with CGI looking visibility) Chris is also my second in command, so that when I'm away or what not he assumes command. He is also the leader of the Sernaix, and has built the race by himself single handedly for his sole ingame contribution. He is also the one who has created the new explosions and ship shockwaves seen in Future Tense

CecilZero:
This guy is the key beta tester, he tests everything installed, and balances them out in terms of firepower to race, anything that needs correctly scaling, he also helps me create the special weapons for the 6 playable races in Future Tense

Wrath of Achilles:
Achilles is the top-dog as far as Im concerned, if it wasnt for him, Future Tense wouldnt be as big in scope without a doubt (it'd also have been released Xmas 2003 but that's beside the point) Achilles created all the Reman race (though I built the Scimitar and Scorpion Attack Flyer) he is also building up the Klingons, Cardassians and is assisting in the construction of the Romulans. He is also the one who is rigging up Future's new Hardpoint and sprite control system to allow manual firing of selected weapons and ranges.

Porty:
Porty is the GUI guy. Though I am making the buttons as I go, Dave is the one who creates the GUI interfaces ingame. He also voices some of the Reman ships

They are in the senior staff. Some others (SquareJames, Seaquest) are also people that input files on the odd occasion, and help concept new ideas in meetings

Adam,

brobrodeel
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
Location: In the USS Deel, Ramming Quantum Torpedos up your a$$.

Post by brobrodeel » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:31 pm

The "readme" is going to be hell to write. :lol:

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:18 pm

The startup credits will list everyone that has contributed to the designs or work that is in the released version of Future Tense

Adam,

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:21 am

i thank you for answering all my questions in great detail im starting to get hooked and very interested

could i help in anyway say i could advertise the game or beta test i beta testing for someone else at the moment but i have to keep that a secret :wink: because i realy would like to help in any way possible i could even design ships for other versions of the mod(im at a design college at the moment in england so i do have a tallent for designing weird and wonderfull things)

what about stations will it go by the same rule like build a research station and that grants you the abillity to build a ship yard or is that chaged in some(would be interesting if you have changed it)
will there be the usual defence turrts like torp and phaser etc or has that changed as well

on a different note how woud you pronounse the new races name in the mod the sernaix :wink:

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:04 pm

Station construction varies in techlevels from race to race

The Federation will have Yard 1 at the start of the build list. When Yard 1 + Research 1 is built, Yard 2 becomes available along with the repair yard. When Yard 2 and Research 2 is built, Yard 3 is builtable. When that's built the Refit Yard then is available to construct refit varients of the ships in the game. When Research 3 and the 3 main yards are built the Nebula Complex comes into play and you can build the Nebulas by selecting what POD to load on with special build animations for each Nebula

As for Beta Testers - it is stricktly to senior staff only. We need some help with special weapons though, special feature or bog standard im not really carring at this point. The rule set to everyone, is that if 20 of your files are selected and Used in Future Tense, you are granted Senior access which grants you beta testing clearence

We also need sound files for weapons, ships (recorded from movies, anime, trek, games, etc) other than that, I think that is all that can be offered as we have people outside of armada concepting Nemesis style Romulan designs including an awesome couple of enhanced D'Deredex's and a few new designs. Federation ships, I'm down to 4, remaining (2 cruisers, 1 science, 1 destroyer) and then the federation ship fleet is done and then its just sorting the research structure

Turrets in Future Tense vary from race to race.

The Borg for example have 4 sorts.

1) Inner Complex defences - holding beams that will hold ships in place till a borg ship comes along and destroys it or assimilates it

2) Technology Adaption - if the Borg assimilate a ship, then pending tests, the Borg will adapt to the weapon and destroy the weapon before it has a chance to hit anything in base

3) Standard Pulse defence - standard issue phaser turrets (scattered)

4) Standard Torpedo Defence - standard issue torpedo turrets (Located around sensor pods)

The other races consist of 3 turret types: Phaser/Pulse/Disruptor - Torpedo - Special Weapon

The pronouncation i believe is "Sir-nax"

Ad'

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:00 pm

see I always thought it was ser-nay-iks lol, figures dont it, best ask Halo.

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:15 am

thank you for the fast reply at the moment im not a skilled beta testers at the moment im still looking through the mauals on how to mod games but when i do have skills in many fields of moding i could help you with past and present tense ship designs or what ever

i do have more questions but i will tel you them later

Porty
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Porty » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:57 am

I'm with you Achillies, thats how I have always said it!! :wink:

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:46 pm

Hmm, id always pronounced it Sair-nayxe :/ Lol, interpretationalities.