downloading FT

30 Years after "Nemesis" The torch of adventure is about to be passed from the Next Generation to the New Generation on an all new Enterprise

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

downloading FT

Post by graviton » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:31 pm

I have a question. When Future Tense is released, there are probably going to be hundreds of downloads of the mod, which will be a fairly large file even unzipped. Question 1: Where will FT be hosted on and downloaded from? and Question 2: Will the servers be able to handle the demand :?:
Melior Posco Venia Quam Scisco Licentia

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:29 am

I am gunning for a Torrent Release to ease the strain on servers. Unzipped so far at 75%-80% it weighs about 8-900MB. Compressed I'd hazard a couple as TGAs tend to compress nicely :D.

Adam,

SaiyaJin_Dale
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Location: Somewhere that couldnt exist but its right over there?

Post by SaiyaJin_Dale » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Phantom wrote:I am gunning for a Torrent Release to ease the strain on servers. Unzipped so far at 75%-80% it weighs about 8-900MB. Compressed I'd hazard a couple as TGAs tend to compress nicely :D.

Adam,
How about the poor dial up users? Torrents would take forever for me. :(

steviegirl
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by steviegirl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Can hardly wait!! :roll:
"He´s dead Jim,you get the tri-corder,I´ll get his wallet."

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:48 pm

Ok... What is Torrent?
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

Paul
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:14 pm

/me looks around , wondering

a torrent is a little file that when used in a program ( Bit torrent , Torrent leach ect ) will start a download . it will save whatever data its downloaded ( so slow net ppl wont have to stay up all night to get it ) and start from where it left off when the program is restarted . it also doesnt get downloaded from just 1 source ( the Seeder ) , every 1 who is/has downloaded the torrect will download off eachother so no 1 site or person has to handle it ;)

i think its a great idea to use torrents for this , the file is too big and in massive demand for A2 and AFC to even try to handle it . torrents would get the file out there and would stop these sites from flooding ;)

at least thats what i make of them :) . google it if you want more accurate info :D

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:26 pm

I did google it... i didn't find anything that satisfied my curiosity... But that helps...
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

Dell
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dell » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:27 am

Sorry Dell but I'll have to remove the link as Bitorrent is also a means for gaining illegal software.

Better to state for members to do a standard google search instead.

Major A Payne

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:21 pm

Sounds good, I've got broadband but even then downloading a 3-4 hundred mb file all in one go would take 40 minutes to an hour and a half. So torrent's good :) .
Melior Posco Venia Quam Scisco Licentia

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:35 pm

Torrent is basically a file sharing program. Unlike Warez stuff, where everything is uploaded to a giant server and downloaded to a computer. Torrent is a single file/folder of information that is transfered from one computer to another directly.

In essence, your computer would be directly connected with my own. Downloading content of my computer.

Torrents vary on speed. I am on broadband so my uploading speeds are maxed at around 100Kb/sec. Think thats the most I have had it on, downloading i have had it at 254kb/sece before my router overloaded and shut down the internet as part of its safety settings lol

The more people that download the Future Tense torrent which would be uploaded to Demonoid as I have a membership there, (it houses Star Trek Remastered episodes which I get as the UK only air the original versions). The more people using the torrent the faster the data transfer.

If say 5 people have a 100% download and keep the torrent alive (refered to as seeding). The download will increase in speed (pending on how many are downloading). You do not have to be on 100% to seed either. Everything you download is instantly shared to other downloaders increasing performance. These are called Leachers/Peers

Downloading a torrent is easy as ABC. You just download the file to your hard drive. To activate a Torrent file for download, you need a Torrent handler. I personally use Bitlord as it has the neat feature of filtering files (IE if a torrent has more than one file, say if someone packs 5 files but you only need two of them, instead of downloading all 5 you can specify what to download). The most common is the self entitled BitTorrent downloadable via their webpage (google search)

As previously mentioned, you also have the option of Pausing a download so Dial-Up users, though the MOD is going to be very large and heavy on the ancient 20th century modems, you can pause the download and come back years later and resume (assuming the torrent is 'alive' and there is at least 1 seeder with a 100% file) so there is no problem there either

(NOTE: STAR TREK ARMADA WILL NOT BE INCLUDED WITH THE MOD)

More information on how the file sharer works is listed in their website.

I am not going to go into greater depth as, MAP suggested, Some torrent files also contain copyright material such as programs and other items that this site does not endorse, allow linkage or guidance to obtaining.

Adam,

orion_butpirate
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by orion_butpirate » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:01 pm

Memberships are closed. Do you know how i can get an invite code?

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:24 am

ill help keep the mod seeding :P

SaiyaJin_Dale
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Location: Somewhere that couldnt exist but its right over there?

Post by SaiyaJin_Dale » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:23 am

I'm back and now I have ADSL, hooked my laptop up to it using a WiFi Router I got for nothing on the web (Thanks internet). Though now I can handle that 8-900mb bulk load. What are you going to upload it to?

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:04 am

torrents do not need a place to upload to, only a ratio hoster like demonoid, the file itself will be downloadable via the Future Tense website, so you wont need membership to download and use it. The membership is there for people to download off the site itself but because you'd be getting it from an alternate offsite link such as on the Future Tense site, you do not need it :) hope that clears things up :)

Adam.

ImperishableNight
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by ImperishableNight » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:59 am

I want to help too!!! I can't sleep every night and my classmates are calling me "Bookman" ARGH!!! I treat them as hundreds of Lavis and use panda claw attack!!! So i just have to complete the download and let people leech my file off right? All right!