Attn: Future Tense -Weapon Idea

30 Years after "Nemesis" The torch of adventure is about to be passed from the Next Generation to the New Generation on an all new Enterprise

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Attn: Future Tense -Weapon Idea

Post by rodglas » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:18 pm

Here is the gist, I've been reading David Webers "Honor Harrington" series and at the same time I've been trying to create a weapon based on the weapons used in the books.

I've had no real success.

I figured I'd run it by Future Tense to see if you guys can make it a reality.

The weapon is called a laser head. Its essentially a missile that uses bomb pumped lasers. The missile itself is not looking for a direct hit just to get close enough to get in past enemy defences then detonate in a wide cone of destruction.

I figure if this could be made to work it wouldn't only be great for me, but it would also be a cool weapon for FT (I see it as a romulan special actually).

Rod

PS here is a link to show you what I mean http://www.rulethehonorverse.com/trailer.htm

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:52 pm

So basically:

1. Missile Sod fires,
2. Detonates in open space/target
3. Unleashes a wave of torpedoes or weapons to strike nearby vessels
4. Varying Damage inflicted pending how many strikes

Hmm, very Romulan...

If that above describes what you are seeking I'll see if the new faction of the Tal'Shiar is interested in such a device....

Ad'

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:53 pm

Yeah pretty much.

:)

Rod

edit to add, Adam could you keep me in the loop on this I'd very much like to know the progess.

WarrenG12
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by WarrenG12 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 pm

i believe i can make that adam

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:46 am

you could use the artillery weapon..create a new sprite for the torpedo/missle and then a new wave sprite for the various weapons that shoot out of the thing
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:41 pm

True, but it wouldnt look like the 'lazers' are striking certain vessels, just an expanding wave of lines :)

Ad'

S618-18741
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by S618-18741 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Uball :P

You can do anything using the utrinum beam as a base,

Ok the first weapon is the iron storm torpedo, this fires creating a Uball either invisible or suitable object at a location this has

a) has multiple hardpoints for different laser based weapons,

b) has one hardpoint for an area cannon weapon

c) both combined

That should do it, assuming ive understood what you want.

pal23
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

ok

Post by pal23 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:18 pm

ok why dont we have something like cloaked quantum torpedoes you launch the torpedo from the ship then activate the cloaking device send it where ever u need to then destroy the enemy undetected.that way u can win the game :P

S618-18741
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by S618-18741 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:57 pm

:? This sounds like a good weapon to me anyway, and is perfectly balancable (assuming that the area of impact is only small and the ship that fires it is expensive)

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:42 pm

S618-18741 wrote:Uball :P

You can do anything using the utrinum beam as a base,

Ok the first weapon is the iron storm torpedo, this fires creating a Uball either invisible or suitable object at a location this has

a) has multiple hardpoints for different laser based weapons,

b) has one hardpoint for an area cannon weapon

c) both combined

That should do it, assuming ive understood what you want.
That works great, it's what i use for the Proximity Laser on my Kor-Lyan ships. Similar weapon to what you've suggested, and if you choose the right-looking sprites etc, it looks great!
ok why dont we have something like cloaked quantum torpedoes you launch the torpedo from the ship then activate the cloaking device send it where ever u need to then destroy the enemy undetected.that way u can win the game
Wouldn't this make the game a tad too easy? Plus you'd need a ship at the enemy base anyway, to get line of sight on the target.
For this weapon though, should you choose to make it, i'd suggest using the Antimatter Mine. Make it fast, long-ranged, make it need a target, and give it an invisible .sod... As normal torpedoes can be shot down with a Point Defence Laser.
In a2 i'd use the Dreadnought's files, but give it a cloak, however this is A1

S618-18741
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by S618-18741 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:53 pm

I thought he was being sarcastic about the balance issues of this weapon, I've just been chatting to adam anyway and to balance it all that would be needed is a smallish range and the area of effect not being too large, and as Atlantis says there has to be a ship that can see into the enemy base anyway.

pal23
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Its simple

Post by pal23 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:09 am

its simple all you have to do is add a cloaking device on voyager hide the ship launch the torpedoe undetected boom down goes the borg. I hope slipstream drive is on voyager becuase itl be sad without it because it looks cool on concept future mod for A2

S618-18741
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by S618-18741 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 pm

In the Virtual Voyager series Voyager-A had slipstream and if I remember rightly it does in FT, or at least it was talked about.

pal23
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

body armour

Post by pal23 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:44 pm

is the body armour going to be on there aswell the quantom torpedoe bomb could be used as a weopon like in the episode End Game where voyager blows the borg with 1 shot torpedoe but instead the torpedoe is cloaked andthe borg wont know whats coming to them ;-) to bad the real star trek couldnt think of that idea.

pal23
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

OK

Post by pal23 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm

sorry i made a few mistakes it could for one sentance lol.