Future Tense Finalists: Future Tense II Competition

30 Years after "Nemesis" The torch of adventure is about to be passed from the Next Generation to the New Generation on an all new Enterprise

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

What Enterprsie makes it to Future Tense II

Poll ended at Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Haven Class
64%
Gryphon Class
12%
Enterprise Class
24%

Total votes: 33

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Future Tense Finalists: Future Tense II Competition

Post by Phantom » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Firstly apologies in the delays and thanks to all who has been patient. I know it hasnt gone to plan what with more than half of the Future Tense team away leaving Michael and myself left modding. Anyway without knowing when they'll be back. I have short listed the 3 designs I personally wouldnt mind seeing bare the registry 1701-G. These are outlined below. The way I'm going to do this is everyone is going to vote for their favoured design. The winner therefore gets beta.

I'd just like to thank everyone for entering and deciding through these wasnt easy in the slightest as I liked different qualities about every one. The winner will get beta access and their design will feature the registry 1701-G and will be modeled by a member of the Future Tense Team (unless you have the skill to model and in that event we can go on from there).

I have included the following set up. This "poll" will mark the 1st place winner. The closing date of votes will be Friday June 20th, 23.59 GMT. Any votes after this time will not be counted. Once a winner is decided the second place will be decided between Saturday 21st till Friday 27th, 23.59 GMT.

Just to remind you of the prizes. The Winning USS Enterprise designer will get exclusive downloadable access to Future Tense. Namely the completed Beta which is under development with new sod effects and betaing. The winner has one of two options. 1) If they have modding skill they can have access to the Beta upon being hailed the winner and they'll join the Future Tense team of whomever is left and help take it to completion, or 2). The winner will get downloadable access once everything is inplace and we are bug testing the beta. Given the strain on staff at present and to why this is so strained, a fixed date cannot be given at present although with the SOD Future Tense Heirarchy not included, race wise Future Tense is looking at around 70-80% completion.

IMPORTANT:
The winner however must not under any circumstance relay download passwords from the beta team servers to anyone else, nor can you give the beta to other people or parties. You can not either distrubute or relay notes or self developed patches and/or models or ODF files Future Tense's unique take on them or revealing how the 'impossibles' work. By entering you agree to these terms. If the winner betrays this level of trust Future Tense will be compromised and there will be no Future Tense. If you are in any doubts if your work is posted below or in the runner up positions of 2 and 3, say so now and it'll be removed. I wont have Future Tense spoiled or leaked as it has in the past.

Now that thats been addressed:

The Top 3 (in no particular order):

HAVEN CLASS By: Claydo

GRYPHON CLASS By: Rodglas

ENTERPRISE CLASS By: Martian

All three strike me as the most futurish looking ways, whilst most paid homeage to old Enterprise designs (mostly either the Sov, Ambass or Const) The New Enterprise needs to be more advanced and battle ready given the events from both Dominion and Sernaix wars. A note however, the 1701-F is dubbed Enterprise Class so Martian's name may have to be changed or anagramed slightly should it be selected to avoid confusion :)

I just want to reliterate my thanks to all that entered and good luck to one of the three finalists :)

Adam.

martian
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by martian » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 pm

aah, please note that this is a version of mine with windows for scale;
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/ ... /entg2.png

also a size chart for those who care; :wink: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/ ... zecomp.png

BTW; thanks for including me in the top 3, I am honored to have made it this far. :)

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Haven Class

Post by USS_Oblivion » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:38 pm

The Haven Class looks by far the best. Although it looks a little Klingon-ish with the blade shaped nacelle. The Enterprise class looks like it is more suited for a Defiant-class vessle, smaller and very agile. The 2nd one i think would look the best for a new enterprise F, because of the wa it sticks to the usual geometry of USS Enterprises of the past. Although I'm just gonna throw this out there, the 2nd one needs a 3rd nacelle, Like Rikers future ship. All 3 look great. Post in this forum and tell me what you think 8) I VOTED FOR HAVEN TO MAKE HIM 10 Lead by 2
Last edited by USS_Oblivion on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Claydo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Claydo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:44 am

whooo mine came a close 2nd just one vote in it

danteger
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by danteger » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:05 am

as we look for a futuristic one, i voted for the enterprise class, although it has its flaxs. i would like to see the model, not just a sketch - and i would like to see a lighter texture with less big-boob-engines. but all in all it is the most convincing development. number one lookes to conventional, number two as well and it has absolutly underpowerd engines.

exodus_499
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by exodus_499 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Wow, these are all fantastic designs!

I voted Haven class worrying that it would be beaten by the "Enterprise" class, something I considered slightly too childish and much less in-keeping with the natural progression. That was, however, before I saw the additional pictures that show the curves and shape of the ship much more accurately... Now I can see that she has a much more beautiful shape than I first thought! I have to agree with danteger though - lighter textures and less dominant nacelles could make a vast improvement.

EDIT: Looking back again, I reckon neither class looks as good from above or below - imo the Enterprise could do with some streamlining, whereas the Haven could do with thicker nacelle pylons from that angle... Just a thought :wink:
Last edited by exodus_499 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chiletrek
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Chiletrek » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Hello:
My vote went for the haven class. For me it looks like it is a strong without loosing the elegance of previous ships 8) .
The Gryphon also looks very good, but it is more like a post-tng/pre-nemesis era, since it combines elements of newer ships like the Sovereign or Intrepid classes and elements of classic ships like the Ambassador class :D .
The Enterprise class is a very interesting design, like a combination of the Sovereign and the Defiant, making it a very worthy oponent to any battle and an asset to Starfleet :twisted:, but I cannot see it as an Enterprise flagship :( .
Back from Fluidic Space

martian
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by martian » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Frankly I'm a bit surprised that people seem to forget two things....

While the Haven class is a great design, and no offence here,
practically it is by no means a good timeship, and has a critical defensive weakness.
Its oversized engines on small struts could stand neither the tortional stress of a temporal rift nor the stress of sernaix, borg, or other baddie weaponry. I like it alot, but it suffers from an accentuated flaw that every ship Ive ever seen; excluding the dauntless, defiant, Akira, and Norway classes suffer from, nacelle struts. Their very existence in most all cannon and noncannon federation ships absolutely *screams* "shear me off"

Also, some of the aspects people cite as flaws in my design are purposeful, any later on putting in these elements and youd be too late for continuity, remember the Relativity design style isn't that far down the line.
This is a logical step between Premonition class early timeships/Enterprise-F and perhaps one more type of 'pre-wells class' design.

Half The entire point is to look at the Enterprise class and be able to say "That would take the incredible hulk of starships or stresses to snap into pieces at any point" it has no critical stress points, the architecture allows stress on any location to be totally distributed into the SIF grids.

(Also darker textures are important, as the relativity in voy proves, Sf hull textures continue their darkening trend until they become iridescent black in the end)

Claydo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Claydo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:43 am

about the time travel i think if kirks ship can withstand time travel then something like the haven has no problems in succeeding.
and the structs you do have a good point (altho the nacelles do have a lot of extra armour :P)

the only problem i see with the gryphon is its nacelles are too thin (easily sortted) and with the enterprise class mayb slightly less exposed plasma (blue) pannels

augur13
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by augur13 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:43 am

Wow, Great, a previously released ship is in first place, Yipee. http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Feder ... lass;90225
To bad It's only ships we've already seen in the forum and doesn't include any of the ship designs that were sent to the email address listed on the first page of the contest page. Would like to have seen a few more choices shown. I'm not trying to get anyone mad here, I'm just a little disappointed. My vote (which I choose and is my right) is non of the above.

Claydo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Claydo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:57 am

yh i released it for a2 coz i thought the comp was nva gonna b finished

martian
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by martian » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:36 pm

the point about the armor is a good one, I definitely couldve covered the nacelle cowlings better. :lol:

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Concened About Stability

Post by USS_Oblivion » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Can any Future Tense Producer assure me that unlike in other mods, the ships you make will have smooth handling unlike some other mods I have played. I really enjoy original armada designs because they dont swerve left to right when in a fleet. I can get almost no-where with a fleet of capital ships in a tight space (Like the map: Simply Boxes) I also enjoy putting turrets around the wormholes (Who doesn't) but when I complete that, the moded ships cant go over or under as in armada. Please PM me about this so my fears are laid to rest. Thanks

-USS_Oblivion

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:59 pm

Every unit has a unique set of physics files and settings. They can also fly so close to each other any closer would be a ram lol.

uss_shanker

Post by uss_shanker » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:31 am

i new it wud b the haven class i newer colour change would be better i think gold would look cool on it that way the Enterprise can be most wanted ship then.