APRIL 2012 FUTURE TENSE STATUS REPORT

30 Years after "Nemesis" The torch of adventure is about to be passed from the Next Generation to the New Generation on an all new Enterprise

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

APRIL 2012 FUTURE TENSE STATUS REPORT

Post by Phantom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Sorry folks it's cancelled.....................

Belated April Fools....

Anyway....

Taras (MrVulcan) and I have been busy filing out details and stuff on the MOD and are pleased to annouce that THERE IS AN END! and we can finally see it!

All the playable models have been created and are being tweaked with the Future Tense Heirarchy. There is SO much eye candy its beyond belief from animated bussard gases in the Nacelles to throbbing plasma intakes in Tholian Webspinners.

The maps are also being created and the Skirmish Mode has been completely changed!

Once the convergence is completed, the new skirmish mode will allow you to select a sector and commence battle with the Sernaix. Similar to Mass Effect 3 to a point - though we thought first!. This means you can select the Beta Quadrant, and then pic a sector of your choice! Battle in the badlands, fight above Bajor with a little help from a giant station (wink wink) or venture a little further past the galactic core and fight in Borg Infested Sectors. Really neat and there are so many NPC and surprises that will create some memorable maps.

That's obviously the tip of the Iceburg as the Skirmish mode will also give the player "Mission Ops" mode which will give you brand new missions as well. Select the race and battle to save, or crush the milky way.

Elements that are still being completed are:

NPC Characters and Race units are being complete
Reman and Sernaix ships are being FT encoded
Audio logs for all the units are being installed
Map units are underway
Map objects are underway
Planet Colonization (Way better than A2) are being installed
Special Weapons are being created
Standard Weapons are being added

Once they're out the way, the AI will be created and all the units will be balanced and then...... That's it!

At present I'd say Future Tense is sitting around the 85-90% mark. It's also weighing an impressive 1.2GB uncompressed! More than 1000 ODFs, a good few hundred WAV files of voices and weapons and several hundred megabytes worth of textures, and stuff... CRAZY and definately not for 56k downloaders (if any still exist)

The major bulk is done, it's just tying up loose ends, and polishing the final product.

To top it off also, the new Future Tense Website is also being prepped and will go live soon, along with a few downloadable items to wet your apetites - no demo/beta but yeah, I think people will be happy :)

Adam,

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Re: APRIL 2012 FUTURE TENSE STATUS REPORT

Post by jetnova16 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Phantom wrote:Planet Colonization (Way better than A2) are being installed.
Adam,
I thought Armada I cannot support Colonization.

I have attempted it even with new planets in a copied version of Armada I and it is totally impossible. There were so many crashes in attempting to do so. I guess this would be possible if the game's engine was rewritten somehow or the .EXE was somehow rewritten but I thought doing anything like that is illegal.

Because of not being able to Colonize in Armada I is when I originally decided not to mod Armada I and just have this mod for Armada I when it comes out, but that idea changed. I have modded my Armada I for some minor ship changes.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:33 pm

On a copied version of Armada and your worried about illegal?

In Future Tense if you can locate an M-Class Planet you can build a starbase on the surface. From there you maybe able to build an orbital teather so you can dock ships to it for supplies and basic repairs. Other planets you can mine resources on such as some gas giants and asteroids. Just watch out the AI doesnt orbital bombard a planet

The EXE hasnt been touched. Everything in Future Tense is possible in Armada stock. You will need either the 1.1 patch or 1.2 patch as it aids pathing of units.

Adam,

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 am

I'm curious, do you face the same problem than I do: the game starts to lag extremly immediatly before vessels/stations explode which makes it pretty unattractive.
My mod has a similar weight of 1,98 GB uncompressed, so I think it depends on the amount of textures and models that are used.
Whre you able to fix this issue?

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Occasionally it happens. But then the models have unique explosive sprites and the models have all the materials linked so you don't have loads of model groups using the same texture which means there is less to compute. The only models that cause major, well i say major its like a second delay are the big beasty models that use loads of textures and maps and are high poly. Bigger Borg models are one example as the Borg are 2000-2500k models.

Ad'

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:39 am

Ok, thought you were facing similar problems. I hope there will be a fix for this some day.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Tue May 01, 2012 4:50 pm

The problem is also related to newer graphics cards. Some cards create worse slow downs than others. Animations and fast sprite animations seem to cause the worst slowdowns.

While I'm not sure what can be done for stock armada to remedy this problem, we're in the process of optimizing different parts of FT for faster load times and lower memory footprint.

I think something can be done for explosion slowdowns too. Maybe slow down the frame rates on animations, or reduce the number of fragments from exploding ships. We will see :)

Just recently, a bug with one of the Romulan yard spotlights prompted an idea that reduced poly counts on some planets by a sizeable 1K.. so there's definitely improvements everywhere to be made.

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Tue May 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Poly counts should in general not be a significant cause of these issues: Armada I uses a very outdated software render for explosions and cloaking, which causes significant slowdowns for multi-mesh models. The more meshes used in a model, the nastier stuff gets. Similarly, the bigger the texture/more that you use, the more you get a slowdown when first glancing at the unit.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:40 am

Phantom wrote:On a copied version of Armada and your worried about illegal?

In Future Tense if you can locate an M-Class Planet you can build a starbase on the surface. From there you maybe able to build an orbital teather so you can dock ships to it for supplies and basic repairs. Other planets you can mine resources on such as some gas giants and asteroids. Just watch out the AI doesnt orbital bombard a planet

The EXE hasnt been touched. Everything in Future Tense is possible in Armada stock. You will need either the 1.1 patch or 1.2 patch as it aids pathing of units.

I didn't know that, I guess I will try it out sometime or wait to see it working in Future Tense.

Adam,
For my Star Trek Armada I install, I have the Official Patch (1.2 Patch) installed and since it said I didn't need to both, I only have that one and not the 1.1 Patch. I also have the Fleet Ops Patch, the 1.3.0 Patch installed.

Tommygun_BoG
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Tommygun_BoG » Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Dominus_Noctis wrote:Poly counts should in general not be a significant cause of these issues: Armada I uses a very outdated software render for explosions and cloaking, which causes significant slowdowns for multi-mesh models. The more meshes used in a model, the nastier stuff gets. Similarly, the bigger the texture/more that you use, the more you get a slowdown when first glancing at the unit.
Hummm...so is regrouping several meshes into one group a way to face this problem?

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri May 04, 2012 10:04 am

Each group will load the texture. If your model has 100 groups that uses the same texture the game will load that texture a hundred times thus slowing loads and sprite. Group them to one texture to improve times

Ad'

Dell
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dell » Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 pm

someone mentioned a renewed site
*drool drool*

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Phantom wrote:Each group will load the texture. If your model has 100 groups that uses the same texture the game will load that texture a hundred times thus slowing loads and sprite. Group them to one texture to improve times

Ad'
Is this the case for Armada II as well?
If there are textures or ODF files that aren't being used at any given time, will they cause a lag in the game?

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Thu May 17, 2012 6:37 am

I imagine so yes as the game will load all the files in the game to run. IF there is an unused ODF with a missing " in it, it'll crash the race it belongs too. I guess its the same in Armada II as well.

Ad'

Barty
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Barty » Sun May 20, 2012 8:50 am

boy O boy this gona be great
You dont win war by dying for your country, you win by making the other poor bastard die for his.

Dont steal, the government hates competition.