disabling transporters in A1?

Follow everything for this Star Trek Armada based Total Conversion right here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

disabling transporters in A1?

Post by rodglas » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:17 am

Is there any way to disable transporters in A1? I want to try to only move crew from ship to ship using shuttles.

Rod.

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:40 am

I think its possible to do this as far as players not being able to use transporters but if I remember right the AI still uses them despite the player being disabled from using it.
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:24 am

you could minimize the impact though. in RTS.cfg change the distance of the transport to much less and the amount transported to 1... I wonder is 0 would crash it, also make an invisable ransport sprite and make an inaudible wav to play ;)

DGWilliams
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by DGWilliams » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:49 am

I was thinking the same thing. If you could tweak it to just the right distance it would be as if they were simply docking with each other.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:30 am

A distance of 0 would crash the game - I'm not sure if transport range of 0 would crash it (I'm not good with grammar right now as I've been up modding all night long LOL). One weapon I made is one that is like the Holding Beam, but doesn't have a sprite and is used for the Federation. The sound that plays is the transporting sound, but it is actually a holding beam. This special weapon simulates the ability to transport through shields.

It is an interesting idea to use shuttles to transport crew, but I'm not sure how that would really work myself. It may require use of a sprite that also has an SOD model that looks like a shuttle - so instead of using any transporting sprite, it would use a SOD of a shuttle. But I don't know how that would work.

unknown
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by unknown » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:13 pm

Set the transporter range to 0.0 ... it doesnt crash the game.
I know that because i use that in my AI mod, because i find it unrealistic for Star Trek to beam through shields, so i disabled it.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:12 pm

canTransport = 0

Ad'

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:59 pm

Well, the only race on the game that can transport through shields are super advanced experimental Federation ships as well as other races' experimental ships that they get through high levels of research. The Borg, especially hero units, can transport through shields using that special weapon.

S618-18741
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by S618-18741 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:18 am

Have you considered changing the transporter effect to a small craft of somesort for each race. I dont think its possible to change it to a sod but a sprite could look ok if its done right. That means you can still use the transport for the ships it would just look like a small sub ws moving people accross.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Sun May 08, 2005 3:45 pm

S618-18741 wrote:Have you considered changing the transporter effect to a small craft of somesort for each race. I dont think its possible to change it to a sod but a sprite could look ok if its done right. That means you can still use the transport for the ships it would just look like a small sub ws moving people accross.
Actually, that is not such a bad idea. When I first started to read this thread, I actually was thinking of suggesting this. Modify the animation and sound of the transport, and perhaps the in-game transport icon, so that it would look as shuttles were going back and forth.