Special Weapons for SeaQuest Armada

Follow everything for this Star Trek Armada based Total Conversion right here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Post Reply
EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:00 am
Location: On the front lines - fighting for liberty!
Contact:

Special Weapons for SeaQuest Armada

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:32 am

We should start thinking about the special weapons for the SQmod
These are my first suggestions:


-"Catterpillar Drive" (as seen in T.Clancy's movie "Hunt For Red October")
-a drive that does use a ship internal hydromagnetic drive system instead of the ship's propellers
-reducing the noise of a sub to a minimum

-active sonar
-increasing "sensor range" of a unit for a short time
-can detect ships running under cat-Drive

"Shkval"Torpedo
-a Russian torpedo that is VERY fast and has a high explosive warhead
-introduced in the 1990's to the Russian Fleet

-passive sonar scrambler
an active sonar can make a very loud noise, which blocks any passive sonar. the passive sonar operator would not hear anything else than the active sonar "ping"
Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance!
It has begun...

User avatar
DGWilliams
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:00 am
Location: New Cape Quest
Contact:

Re: Special Weapons for SeaQuest Armada

Post by DGWilliams » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:57 pm

EAS_Intrepid wrote: -"Catterpillar Drive" (as seen in T.Clancy's movie "Hunt For Red October")
-a drive that does use a ship internal hydromagnetic drive system instead of the ship's propellers
-reducing the noise of a sub to a minimum
We're not really sure as to the mechanics of seaQuest's aqua-return drive, but I think the concensus is that, as of 2032, MHD is fairly common place.
EAS_Intrepid wrote: -active sonar
-increasing "sensor range" of a unit for a short time
-can detect ships running under cat-Drive
It seems that the advent of Hypersonar has largely rendered active sonar obsolete.

EAS_Intrepid wrote:Shkval"Torpedo
-a Russian torpedo that is VERY fast and has a high explosive warhead
-introduced in the 1990's to the Russian Fleet
I will adhere to Rodglas' discretion on the issue of cavitation since I have certain biases...
EAS_Intrepid wrote:-passive sonar scrambler
an active sonar can make a very loud noise, which blocks any passive sonar. the passive sonar operator would not hear anything else than the active sonar "ping"
:?: WSKRS-mounted noise makers?

Dumping enough sound into the water to completely saturate the surrounding waters with enough sound to "blind" sonar would be...bad (both environmentally and for ship and crew). It also wouldn't do much as, in the few seconds after the sound dissipates, the reverberating sound would return a sonar signature anyway.

Perhaps you meant accoustic countermeasures. (cancel out noise with an inverted wave-form)

Two ideas:

Deepfire Generator ("Sympathy for the Deep")
-Forces the enemy to turn on one another.

Sonar Blackout Array (fixed installation)
-Cuts sensor range in half for nearby craft.

I had quite a few other ideas, but I can't remember them.

Here's an old units list(for a mod which may or may not be dead) with a few things listed.

There are a few things there that are off, though. For example, Broken Ridge should be changed to Ocean Floor Mining Corp since Broken Ridge was well within New Ausland territory.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests