Earth Defence Force: The Nine Star Alliance Wars

Do you have creative writing skills?? Think you can charm the masses with a story or two?? Perhaps you can create a mini-toon based on Armada. Then give it a go right here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Earth Defence Force: The Nine Star Alliance Wars

Post by blindeye01 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:42 pm

Okay, this storyline takes place around now or the near future. Basically the plot will become more understandable in the next chapter when what happens here is explained to our unsuspecting travellers (Arthur, Tricia, etc.). This is in its own universe. But basically it will all make sense soon.

John looked at the alarm as it was sounding. This was not his cell phone as he hoped; it was his communicator. He was in the middle of a class. Slowly, John looked down at his communicator and saw the code he had feared would come “412.” He quickly replied back for evac.

The small steel building in upstate New York was only a cover for his vast underground base, the base that housed the first warp capable ship. Since that first flight 6 years ago, transwarp and quantum jump drive, as well as a myriad of other inventions had been invented. And since then he had encountered the Akkadians.

Inside was the last ship for him and his trusted ship staff. All the other ships on Earth at the New York, Scotland, Poland, and Chinese bases had been emptied, as well as the Asteroid station dubbed “Icarus Station.” The EDF were already on their way to face the Akkadian strike force, the scouting group for something much larger. Although John was critical to leading the fight, only the Peregrine Falcon was allowed to attempt rescue of him at his school.

John moved toward the door and grabbed a textbook. He appeared to be insane to his four friends in the college classroom. No 26 year old would be hiding behind a door with a textbook and be all right. The door opened and a man with a full body suit rushed in.

He said in a tinny voice “Where is the Admiral?” John rushed out and knocked loose the odd looking rifle in his hands. The man pulled out his pistol, but John shot him.

Arthur, another student, exclaimed, “What the hell was that?”
“That was not human.”
“Whoa, hold up, what do you mean ‘not human,’ you mean like ET?”
“Umm…. well, yes, only not so nice.”
“What do you mean.”
“He’s Akkadian,” explained John “Part of an assassin mission. But he is not human.”
“Bullsh*t” said Arthur, who removed the helmet to reveal the reptilian face of the Akkadian. Arthur jumped in sheer horror.
“This is not some game or prank, there are men trying to kill me, and they may kill you to draw me out. “ said John who placed a small tracer to alert the Peregrine Falcon of the corpse.

“But wait, if someone finds an alien in our school, it would be like Roswell! They’ll be just as sh*tless as we are!”
“Not if there’s no body to recover,” John retorted. “My ship will take care of the body, but you have to trust me, we need to get to the roof, before more Akkadians show up.”
“Why the roof?”
“That’s where my ship is.”
“Wait, YOU HAVE A SPACESHIP?”
“Yes, there is going to be a time and a place to discuss this, but now is not the time. Just trust me you guys.”

John and his friends quickly made their way to the roof, which was empty. “So now what John, jump?” exclaimed Tricia.
“Just wait…open the hatch, I’ve taken care of my visitor” John said into his cell phone, which was his communicator as well. Suddenly out of nowhere a doorway appeared. Turning to it and motioning with his hands John said with a smirk “Our ride is here, ladies first.” The crew of the Peregrine Falcon stood at attention. A tall officer with jet black hair addressed John.

“Sir, the Akkadians tried to get everyone you know, but this was the only one to break through our defensive grid. We have secured all of your acquaintances in strongholds on Earth, except for your friends here of course. Should we head for the New York stronghold?”
“No, I need to help the fleet. How bad are we?”

The Commander’s face shrunk into an expression of doubt “Our fleet is engaging a full expeditionary force of 200 Akkadian ships, with a Grenon class command dreadnaught. Our ships are following protocol 12, so any damaged ships are making random jumps with their Quantum Jumpdrives to repair and regroup. “How many of our ships are still there?”
“There are 41 vessels still fighting, including the Arc Royal, the Exeter, Oriskany, Essex, Saratoga, and Vincennes.”
“Well let’s rally the troops, shall we?”
“Gladly sir.”

John took control of the Falcon, a ship with the silhouette of a wing with imbedded engines. It had relatively meager firepower compared to a capital ship, but it carries an equalizer; twelve ship killer missiles, or SKMs. Although SKMs were vulnerable to defensive fire, and were carried in greater numbers on capital ships, they were deadly in close range attacks from bombers such as the Falcon. John flew the ship at regular warp to the far side of Jupiter, where the two fleets clashed.

The comms lit up with welcomes and tactical reports from all EDF ships in the area, including one that said “shields weakening on the Grenon’s dorsal superstructure.” A Grenon class ship held its reactors deep within this heavily armored hump on the ship’s back, but has a small weak spot in the armor plating of the superstructure where its navigational deflector is positioned.

The Falcon turned to face this deflector at full impulse. Realizing the threat, and fearing a kamikaze attack the Grenon focused its defensive batteries at the small ship.

“Maximum power to the forward shields please, and turn off all safety features on the SKMs. I plan on firing them at point blank range.” John said in an eerily calm voice. The ship shuddered with repeated hits, and a twenty percent shield warning lit up the command console. “Connelly, open the bay doors and turn the missile’s engines on. Have the missiles run with the ship so I don’t have to wait for a target lock. Computer, give me range to target counting down in thousands of meters.”

“25,000 meters to target and closing…” the computer said in an equally calm voice.

Quickly the distance was 20,000, then 15,000, 10,000, 5,000, and with 432.7 meters to go John pulled the Peregrine Falcon away, leaving the missiles on course at full speed. Each the twelve warheads penetrated the weak spot and detonated, then the reactor complex on the Grenon. The ship lurched forward like a dying whale and began to break up in a chain of explosions. The remaining Akkadian fleet fled to regroup with the main Akkadian strike force.

The Peregrine Falcon did not make it out unscathed. A flying piece of the Grenon class sliced off the left tip of the ships wing shape and the power began to drain rapidly. Just when the ship was about to come apart it was in a vast hall filled with light.

A voice said into the comm. system to inform the crew which was strewn over the Falcon’s floor that they had been saved. “Peregrine Falcon, this is Commodore Halsey of the DFS Essex, medical teams and repair crews are en route to your position. On another note great shot Admiral.”
Last edited by blindeye01 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:52 pm

Nice story, Blindeye. Me-sa like.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:55 pm

Thanks. I though it might start a little incoherently. It would work better as the opening scene to a movie. But most questions will be answered in Chapter 2 which I will post when I finish it. This is based on a recurring dream actually, with modification of course.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:00 pm

Understood. I eagerly await the next installment. I don't have much time right now to devote to my own writing as I am working hard to get the R.P.G. in order.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:39 pm

Here's Chapter 2 of the story, which sets up the rest of the story:

Commodore Halsey, with his perpetual smirk addressed John and his friends. “Admiral, I trust that you made it out alright. I heard that an Akkadian assassin made it past the blockade.”
“Well you know me, I find my ways out of tight spots.”

John, his command staff, his friends from the school, as well as his bridge crew were seated at a large meeting table aboard the Essex. Arthur looked impatiently around the room. Tricia twiddled her thumbs. Janet, Michael, and Melissa, also friends of John had the face of a deer caught in the headlights, still in awe of the past four hours. John realized that they needed an explanation, and that the staff meeting could wait.

“Excuse me, but could all EDF personnel please leave the room a moment. Hey guys, there are quite a few things I need to level with you on.”
“Damn straight” sputtered Michael. “This is way too screwed up to drag us into it.”
John paused and thought for a moment how to explain the past six years, but in his style he decided to be blunt. “Alright, basically, 10 years ago I began a program to develop several advanced technologies in conjunction with others like myself who wanted to get out here. We pooled resources and created things like matter rearranging devices, power systems, energy manipulation devices, and engine technologies. We succeeded. In secret, we designed, built, and tested the first interstellar vehicle built by humanity.”

“But what about money?” asked Arthur? “Stuff still costs money!”

“Simple, we slowly leak out small technologies as patents, lucrative patents that fund our work. We spread credit to the different team members to ensure no one person is singled out for what they did. We used the matter arranging technologies to make a base in space which could produce everything we needed with just matter, no money required, so the patents simply fund our on Earth operations now. In space we can build massive ships like this for nothing except time and effort.”

John paused. He needed to explain where the people for these ships came from. “Okay, by now your saying how can so many people disappear to do this. The answer is dummy companies, fake kidnappings and accidents. Now with the connections to other species, we have alien crews. Some governments on Earth are even aware of us but are willing to keep our secret to keep the public from panicking. If news of us got out, even if we did it in public from the beginning, we would cause only pain. Our technologies would be turned on our fellow man, and greed would drive men to steal our secrets. Plus the knowledge of other, more advanced civilizations would cause great fear and panic in the general public.”

Tricia had waited to ask this ever since she began this journey. “But why have us here to learn your secret?”
“I felt you all deserved as my friends a chance to know who I really am. I also hoped you would join me. Many have joined under similar circumstances. We need all the good men and women we can get.”

“But why? What battle are we fighting?”

“Basically, after we developed the first warp ship and tested it we decided to make a warp run to a relatively far off star. An Akkadian frigate intercepted us on the way. Although our weapons were tough, it took the help of a then Eight Star Alliance warship to save us. They fight the Akkadian Empire due to its oppressive government and its desire to invade the free republics of this region of space. We formed that day the EDF, or Earth Defense Force to combat the Akkadians, who have tried to conquer Earth since the discovery of an Earth ship. We are the ninth star in the Nine Star Alliance, made up of the nine republics united against the Akkadians: the Corellians, the Drakon, the Sardonians, the Trayans, the Chorians, the Mug’ta, the Borea, the Kebbasids, and the EDF. Every ship you saw was designed to fight. We have the technology the Nine Star Alliance needed, and our ships could square off with anything the Akkadians had. We have claimed many worlds around Earth and elsewhere and have produced many ships. But we still lack numbers in both crew and starships. Sources say the Akkadians have 29 ships for every one the EDF has, and 6 ships for every one the Nine Star Alliance as a whole has. The fleet we just engaged was a scouting fleet. The real party will happen approximately a month from now, most likely at the Beritz pathway, the best spot to sweep through the alliance. My goal as Admiral of the EDF fleet is to stop them, and to do that I need to see some people and call on some favors. I want you to join me, to take part in this great adventure and to help everyone still on Earth. But this will be dangerous, without a doubt. I can’t lie that this is a life or death type situation with the war. Who is with me?”

Slowly, his five friends stared at one another, and finally Michael studdered “Sure John, if its as important as you say it is, and we have about the same survival odds up here as down there, then I’m in.”

Tricia then said “I’m in, I trust you know what you are doing.” In a minute they had all agreed to help.

“We will be aboard my flagship, the Arc Royal, the first in her class of battlecruiser. She has the speed, firepower, defense, and most importantly sensors and electronic warfare equipment we need to move with relative impunity to several different location. The first of which is the House Kurita home world of Kuritas. They are organized in clans, or houses. The house with control is given the title of their home world. The current House Kurita is the House Antok. They are moderates, who are still bound by the strict honor code of all Kuritans, but are less warlike than previous houses to rule. Their rise has caused a civil war to break out. They have pledged support against the Akkadians, and have powerful ships, but cannot commit any significant help until the civil war is resolved.”

“And how are we going to do that?” mumbled Mike, who still did not quite understand the gravity of the situation.
“Well, we need to go there to figure it out.” John replied, with a glint in his eye that suggested he already knew what would do it.

“Our second mission is to find the Nausicaan leader, Senar. They’re raiders now, pirates on no-one’s side. But I have made peace with their leader four years ago. Even if he is distrustful of the alliance, he certainly hates the Akkadians. They conquered the small Nausicaan republic, and his people have been in space for nearly a century and a half. Their ships are powerful, but few in number, but what he has that I could use is his information gathering skills. They have eluded the Akkadians in their own empire all this time raiding them, and us until four years ago. Then there are two other things, and you won’t like one of them.”

“Oh God John what have you got us into?” whimpered Melissa.
“Melissa, its going to be alright, remember that we’re not just protecting ourselves, but we want to save that” John said, pointing to the picture window with a view of Earth.

“We need to go to a station called Terra Norr. It is in a remote region of space which is very vast, and full of resources. However it is largely uninhabited due to navigational hazards giving it the title the Rischi Maze. In one of the Maze’s star systems is a vast research facility with the newest, most powerful warships the EDF has come up with. There are a few prototype battleships we need to pick up and crew, but currently the station is working on a set of robotic ships to lead the charge without training new crews and without needing to design ships based on biological needs. The entire facility is run by androids with the war on, led by HK-47.” (chuckles from his two gamer friends).

“I know, the droid designer thought it would be funny to create an HK-47 in voice and body, though he is not a bloodthirsty machine. Anyway, HK-47 should have everything ready and waiting for us. Once we give him the plan, it’s off the main shipyards of the Akkadian Empire. We will go, with the help of a small cloaking starship since cloaks have size limits. The ship is of Corellian design with heavy modifications to improve its invisibility to sensors and its firepower, engines, etc. We need to blow up the facility, or at least destroy the facility’s ships in dock, which would make up the backbone of their armada. If we do all of that, then we fight with a 50% chance of success. Lets get going, so does anyone have a question?”

“Oh, is that all?”
Last edited by blindeye01 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:05 am

:D 8) special14.gif special4.gif weapon1.gif

Nice work, Blindeye. I am actually enjoying this. This story sounds good enough so far for it to actually get published some day.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:08 pm

Now edited for better quality thanks to some tips from Logius.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:36 pm

The Arc Royal slowly backed out of the dock with John’s trusted crew. They served most of their time with him under the Arc Royal, although they have been the command crew under different ships if the occasion called for it. The tall Commander, John’s XO and friend Bryan Kerek stood at attention on the bridge. “Sir, we are at one half thruster capacity, we can make the transition to transwarp in 45 seconds.”

“Good, I want to reach Kuritas in twelve hours, even if you have to drain power from weapons.”

The ship lurched towards its superluminal vector and disappeared into space. John decided to sit in his office and contemplate what had just happened. The fleet was scattered, and even united was not strong enough. And his friends had been brought into this. As he read his logs for the day he heard a knocking on his door. “Come in.”

Tricia walked in with a look of concern on her face. John had never seen her quite like that. She sat on the bed behind him and softly asked “Are you alright?”

“As alright as I can be. We are on our way to Kuritas, so I am examining the recent events there for guidance.”
“I never have seen you so…gone. Your voice sounds like it is coming from the other end of the galaxy.”
“I never thought you would ever see all this, it is quite a burden, knowing how desperate Earth’s situation is.”
“John, I wanted to help. I might not know how I can help, but at least I’m here to see this through to the end with you. It means a lot that you take such responsibility for us and Earth.”
“Tricia, it means a lot to me that you four are with me. I know you will help me, it is comforting to know I have trusted friends by your side.”
“I saw you with that Commander…Kerek? He would follow you through hell.”
“No, you’re different though. Our friendship wasn’t born in battle or with this weight over our heads. It was because we could open ourselves to each other.”

John then turned his head slightly as he had not really been facing Tricia. She walked up and kissed him behind the ear.

“You know, talking to you makes me feel safe, as if all the world is in its place” she said with a smile. “I want to see what this planet has to offer, can I come?”

“I was planning to take you all, but just remember that these are aliens, they will look very different, talk very differently, and have a whole different set of cultural values.”

“I’m sure with you we’ll get the hang of it.”