Creativity challenge.

Do you have creative writing skills?? Think you can charm the masses with a story or two?? Perhaps you can create a mini-toon based on Armada. Then give it a go right here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Creativity challenge.

Post by Harrie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:01 pm

The rules are:
1. It has to be something that when you imagine it in your mind, everything else seems to become insignificant of a brief moment in time.

2. this may be the one that some people may not agree on, but if you have read a book or story that has an event like this i don't care if you post it up as long as you give the title and the name of the author.

3. There is no real limit to the lenght, as long as it all ties together into single scene. like don't go and describe the whole battle, just do like the approach or the aftermath.

4. also no repeats. If you've seen one body strewn battlefield you've seen them all. I think this is self-explanatory really.

5. Adding dramatic song lyrics to enhance the effect is acceptable. Using only song lyrics is not.

6. Feel free to leave comments about what some one else has posted. But if you don't have anything complementary or constructive to say, then don't say anything at all.

7. The most important rule of all, HAVE FUN, the point of this challenge is to challenge your creative writing ability. Most of the great writers in history could make your heart stop merely by describing a bird in flight. (Yes i know that that is a great deal of exaggeration but it gets the point across)

a tip: you may find it easier to do if you use second person point of veiw like the one below. Using 'you' rather than 'he' or 'I'.

I'll go first. the topic is 'Spartans Advancing'

Just imagine if you will...
A sea of red cloaked men rush at you. In front of them they hold bronze shields with the Lambda raised upon them. The shields have been polished to reflect like mirrors but gleam a melevolent reddish orange in the setting sun. On their heads they wear bronze helmets that have only thumbs width slits that obsure the eyes in darkness and transform even the kindest men into a murdering demons from the darkest depths of Tartarus. From five thousand throats erupts a song of victory that goes in time with the pounding of feet on solid earth. Before them lie huge boulders embeded in the ground. Boulders that would disrupt the lines of most armies, but not the Spartans. No the Spartan line hits the boulder and flows over it like water. As they get closer you and your brothers in arms raise your shields, but you know in your heart that the end has come.

So, What do you think? Awe and fear, what a great combination? I think any of you can do better! :D

Now like i said earlier you can use this battle as a foundation and do parts of the battle itself or the aftermath.

edit: the Rule i left out. Keep everything within the fourm rules as well as the thread rules. there is a reason i put it here and not in OM/Ballbusting.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:31 am

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Are there any Judges?

Just to clearify, this as about "whatever topic" the creative artist wants, right?
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:50 pm

Yes, any topic you want (any topic that conforms to the rules of the fourm), i just used battles and battlefields as examples

as for Judges... I guess i should have made the title Challenge your creativity. No, the only judges are yourself and anyone who takes the time to read the posts. the main point of this is to encourage people to start thinking in more detail and learn to use words to paint for them, kinda like that old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' well... make up with the thousand words.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:58 am

His spear, now useless splinters, lay on the ground by his feet. Eyes never leaving the new opponent he draws the sword at his hip. Ignoring his sweat drenched back and hair he steps forward and readies for the impending attack. Heart racing and blood pumping, the smell of blood and earth ran thick through the soldier's nostrils. Around them the world seemed suspended as man and nature both respected the moment. One of them was about to die, and the world knew it. A snarl escaping from his gritted teeth, he lunges forward.

Not sure if I followed all the rules there... :?
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:14 am

Yep. :D good, good. You got the right idea. :)

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:24 pm

Here a description I wrote a few years ago that started an article:

The Dinah off Okinawa was low to the water and was a match for the F6F-5 Hellcat in speed. The two 1,500 h.p. Mitsubishi fourteen cylinder radials strained to out pull the one Pratt & Whitney eighteen cylinder behind pumping out its 2,200 water-methanol injected horsepower. The pursuing Harris "Mitch" Mitchell fired too low and saw tiny splashes behind the quick moving recon plane. Then he saw the tracers above his canopy from his squadron mates. Using this as a guide he picked up the blunt snout of the Grumman to watch his fire stream into the Ki-46. One engine blazed and the sleek plane cartwheeled into the ocean. This, his sixth kill, was taken at "somewhere over a half mile."
The Borg will rock your world!

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:48 pm

w00t! :D Sounds good.
Dead

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:19 pm

Ooooo :D I feel sorry for that other guy.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:43 pm

Or:

“The Grumman tried to match the turn with me. For just that moment I needed, his underside filled the range finder and I squeezed out a burst. The cannon shells exploded along the fuselage. The next second thick clouds of black smoke poured back from the plane and it went into a wild, uncontrolled dive for the sea.

At least a half dozen Grummans were on my tail, their wings sparkling flame as they opened fire. Another left roll-fast! The six fighters ripped past my wing and zoomed in climbing turns to the right.
I slammed the throttle on overboost and rolled right. The Zero closed the distance rapidly. Fifty yards away I opened up with the cannon, watching shells move up the fuselage and disappear into the cockpit. Bright flashes and smoke appeared beneath the glass and the Hellcat swerved crazily and fell off on one wing trailing a growing smoke plume.”

That is Saburo Sakai’s description of kills number sixty three and sixty four after a scramble from Iwo Jima on June 24, 1944. A minute later he was the prey in a wild, long running melee with fifteen F6F’s over the island, twisting, skidding, turning and wrenching his plane around to avoid the American .50 caliber rounds that filled the air around him. He evaded the pack only by plunging into a huge cumulus cloud. Upon landing, astonished mechanics informed him that not one bullet had pierced the Zero.
The Borg will rock your world!