Red Ash - Preview

Do you have creative writing skills?? Think you can charm the masses with a story or two?? Perhaps you can create a mini-toon based on Armada. Then give it a go right here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Red Ash - Preview

Post by CaptSyf » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:18 am

Merry christmas all (ok, I know its still a couple weeks away). I figured since this is a time for giving, I will give my friends a sneak peak at what I am making. Its a brand new Science fiction universe. I am starting with a novel that I am writing, and here's a piece of that book. After the book, I hope to make it into a series of games (yes, RTS). So, sit back, and enjoy this little piece of pie. The rest will be available later in time. :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Ash

Atlanticus –

As the astronauts opened the door, the room lit up and a hologram appeared. Hello, I am Abrum. I am the keeper of the chronicles. I have been waiting for millennia to tell my story. I know who you are. You are the descendants of Atlanticus. You have finally come to me, on your quest for knowledge. Now let me teach you the story of who you are, so that you may know. As the hologram finished his statement, the room went dark, then it became like a theatre. The astronauts were stunned by all this, and could not muster the will to speak. As they listened to the hologram, they were lost in the moment as other holograms appeared, playing out the story as it was told.

This is the story of the Greatest Empire ever to conquer the stars, Atlanticus. Where to start? Let’s start with the end. The year was 21092 AG. It was a tragic time. The Atlanticus Empire had ruled the galaxy for over 21,000 years. They were a merciless race. They had conquered and enslaved every race in the galaxy. The subjected races had quietly gathered a resistance force over the last few hundred years. The resistance force became known as “The Alliance”. In 20863, they launched their campaign to take back their freedom from the Atlanticans. The battle had raged for over 200 years. Finally, The Alliance had started to make gains in the battle. Atlantican fleets were taking heavier losses than wins. Each battle was bringing heavier and heavier losses to the Atlanticans. Finally, in 21091, The Alliance had defeated the majority of the Atlantican fleets. With only a small handful of warships left, Atlanticus recalled all fleets that were left, to return to protect the homeworld.

Meanwhile, on Atlanticus, there had been a movement within the people. They called themselves the “Human Factor”. Their focus was to make peace with the rest of the races, and make penance for the trespasses that we humans had commit against those other races. While most Atlanticans had accepted the way things were, the Human Factor did not. They could see what the empire really was, and most of the people that made-up the movement had witnessed the aggressions. Murder in could blood, because they weren’t human and such other things were repulsive to these people. In 21091, with the war going badly for the Atlanticus Empire, the Emperor was looking for a way to rally the troops. So, he made it public that he would allow the “Human Factor” to rally at the emperor’s palace. However to the unknowing movement people, all he was doing is drawing the movement out into the public so he could capture them. The last thing the Emperor needed was a group within the empire working against the empire. The day of the movement rally, over 15,000 people had marched into the streets around the palace. The Empire had planned on a few hundred at the most, and was going to have them shot to death in where they stood. However, so many of them, that was not an option. So, the emperor sentenced them immediately to the penal colony, Earth. It took some time to gather the transports needed to transport the traitors to the colony. On March 2, 21092 the transfer of the prisoners was completed. The emperor had made a show of the whole process to show the people of Atlanticus, that he was still in charge, and that the empire was as strong now as it ever was.

As the last transport returned home, the day of judgement had come to Atlanticus. As the Atlantican fleet was laid to pieces, The Alliance had brought their secret weapon to the forefront of the assault fleet. They signalled one final message to Atlanticus, “This judgement against you has been handed down by the Council of the Alliance, and your race is hereby ruled forfeit”. At that moment, Atlanticus lit up like a star, as the Alliance’s weapon had turned the atmosphere of Atlanticus into an inferno. The people on earth could see the fate of Atlanticus even in broad daylight. And From that moment, they decried Atlanticus as the planet “Mars”, and lost the memory of the empire to time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I hope you liked it. Keep in mind, this is still in the early stage. I hope to have the whole story completed "sometime" over the next year or so, and get it into paperback form.

Edit: I removed just the green color... nothing else changed.
Last edited by CaptSyf on Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:58 pm

There is the kernel of a very interesting story here CaptSyf.

Are you going to be focusing on the 'Human Factor' or on the Empire as a whole?

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:38 pm

If all goes well I may do a series of them, each focusing on different aspects. This piece of the story is actually closer to the middle of the book. I know it sounds strange to give you part of the middle, but since this is near the climax of the story, it makes for a more interesting read. But to answer your question directly, neither. This actually will focus on a few teams of explorers of the "descendants". I actually plan a sequel to the book where a group of people go back in time to the point of this part of the story.

Also, this book is the lead story for a RTS Game as well. I'm hoping by putting out a book, getting some money from it, that my team and I can get a game series started.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:44 pm

Not bad, CaptSyf, not bad.
This sounds like a real interesting storyline with impressive developments.
Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance!
It has begun...

kips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kips » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:21 am

A truely good read I like the fact that the story didn't off load too much detail and kept a good pace.

Can't wait to see and read the end product if it's released in the Uk.
Red Ash is a good story.
life is life and death well thats a pain in the neck.

Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance.
It has begun...