One You Likely Haven't Seen Before

Model makers. Got something to show of or brag about?? Then show 'em off here, but read the rules first

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

One You Likely Haven't Seen Before

Post by doci7 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:56 am

For your viewing pleasure, I've posted some pictures of an original model of mine. I certainly don't have the time or the willpower right now to texture it, so you'll have to put up with the "flat shaded" effect which I prefer to the "smooth shaded" option. I call this one "Research Ship"...

...from the front...

...from the back...

...and from the front again, showcasing the wing geometry. This ship belongs to a civilization as ancient as dirt, and is one of only six of its type, each one protecting its own hemisphere of the homeworld. At around 5,500 meters in length, it is a veritable (and quite literal, if you observe the back) flying city, has much of its internal space devoted to science facilities, which have produced, over the eons, most of the technology that has served the Hegemony, thus earning the vessel its title as "Research Ship". The weapons that it carries are continually updated as the scientists aboard make new breakthroughs, and experimental weapons are often being modularly installed and uninstalled for testing, but most permanently fixed armaments favor long-range striking ability. The Research Ship is equipped with a multitude of long-range proximity-detonation torpedoes, heavy long-range gravimetric/electromagnetic weapons, sigma-ray radiant emitters, and various ordinance that put a repulsing force on enemy ships, effectively keeping them out of retaliatory range. There is also a main array of forward gravity-antigravity dispersion weapons, which subjects the hull of a target ship to overwhelming outbreaks of both gravitational and anti-gravitational force, each occurring and oscillating at random points and intervals, effectively shearing a target into warped chunks. Just one Research Ship is enough to disband a sizable fleet of comparatively advanced enemies, while less advanced civilizations like the Federation couldn't pose a threat even with all of their combined strength, if for any reason they would ever encounter one, which is beyond unlikely. Still, they have a major weakness, as most of their weapons emplacements are too unwieldy to serve them well in close-range combat.
These vessels serve one other important function: the virtual exact-displacement overlay that they project over known space. Without this virtual grid, their races' most advanced subspace travel and their universal transporters would be inoperative. The universal transporter has been a staple of their strategy for millennia, as it allows their main military force to exist neither here nor there, but in subspace, ready to be pulled into normal space at any location where there is an outlet set up. This allows them to never have to worry about making costly strategic errors in deployment, as any troop can be deployed or redeployed anywhere that there are such outlets in place. The UT also acts as their ultimate feat in personal security, as their troops' suits are designed to automatically recall them to subspace if they become critically wounded or are in immediate and fatal danger.
That's all I'll say about that for now. I've come up with a lot of stuff and it's hard not to tell it all once you get started. Hope all of this is mildly intriguing.

uss_shanker

HMmm

Post by uss_shanker » Thu May 08, 2008 3:37 pm

hmm that kinds of reminds me of the reman warbid from insureection.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:45 pm

perhaps, but the wings do fan out along a different axis, and the ship is certainly more front-heavy than the Reman Warbird.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Re: HMmm

Post by Zman » Thu May 08, 2008 5:49 pm

uss_shanker wrote:hmm that kinds of reminds me of the reman warbid from insureection.
Nemesis lol
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:09 am

No constructive criticism or anything?

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by assainator » Mon May 12, 2008 10:03 am

o if you like:

what's the poly count?
and......

you know? i'm not good at giving critism, so ..... i don't

but i have only one question: do you like it yourself?

assainator

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:10 pm

Poly count I would rather withhold. It's a hero model, so hopefully that almost justifies the very high number of triangles.

Do I like it? Never thought I'd be asked to gauge my own model. It's mostly good, but needs more evenly distributed detail. The wings are kind of garbagy- but the right shape. Come to think of it, I'm missing a few features. This whole thing is actually based off of a Lego model I made a few years ago (and still have). One of my other hobbies is making epic Lego movies. Here's a shot of the ship emerging from subspace in lego form.

You can't see all of the wings, and there are a couple of extra ones that tilt up instead of down (modularly attached wings being used for weapon testing), but it's more or less the same. (Disclaimer: all lego blocks were property of Lego Corporation--- until I bought them).