Armada 3 petition

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:42 pm

well i just checked the numbers and its up to 461 as of 13.45 GMT. not to bad but is still a far cry from what is required. they wont consider this unless there is at least 1000 sigs on there, (just a guess and to be honest i can see them expecting much higher than that). they have to justify the cost as well as satisfying those hardcore fans. come on people get the word out anywhere and everywhere you can.
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:07 am

If they spend $100,000 developing a game and 2,000 people buy it at $50 they're even and it gravy beyond that. Adjust figures of development cost vs. people needed to purchase for break even upward as needed. :D

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:33 am

maybe so but 500 is still a far cry from 2k.

i hope this works :D
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:12 am

Open separation would be awesome - especially for new ships with multi-vector assault mode. It would be so neat just to be able to use the Pathfinder-class starship (this is a new ship that has MVAM - posted in another forum) without having to replace the Galaxy class separation. Like I was saying, it would also be awesome for a Borg Fusion Cube to be able to 'unfuse.' I remember seeing in the intro video for A2 that a Borg Fusion cube had one ship dispatched and near the end of the video it merged with the rest of the fusion cube. Perhaps some may think 'how many improvements can there be in A3 from A2?', but there are still a lot of ideas out there - if there weren't, the gaming market wouldn't be so productive as it has been in recent times! 8)

brobrodeel
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
Location: In the USS Deel, Ramming Quantum Torpedos up your a$$.

Post by brobrodeel » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:34 am

this is brobrodeel,and i am numero 641 i hope that activision will consider this cause i am bored with A1-2.mods are all same in my opinion,so make A3 Activision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:36 pm

Right on! :D I love A1 and A2 mods, but I really hope Activision makes Armada 3! I'd like to see less hardcoded things on the next Armada. Armada 2 improved on Armada 1 in modability. I just can't wait to see what Armada 3 will be like if it comes out! A few things I hope to see especially are:
1.) the ability for ships to go into orbit of planets,
2.) ability of ships to eject warp cores and lose warp drive that way,
3.) more than one ship having separation ability, :P
4.) fusion cubes being able to disassemble fully or partially (fusion cubes able to have 2-8 cubes),
5.) better scale of planets and ship and larger maps to accommodate that (probably would require 1.8GHz processor + and 128 MB video memory),
6.) ability to move construction from one shipyard to another (like having a galaxy class be built in another shipyard without modifying the files),
7.) the ability for ships to receive a skill rating based on their service in the fleet during missions,
8.) ability to build custom weapons using newer research capabilities (like making a weapon that can fire poleron torpedoes or chain pulses without having to use special weapon buttons - without having to add the weapons with odf files alone),
9.) making it so that newly researched custom weapons can be added to a ship of your choice through using the repair facility to refit that ship and using raw resources),
10.) ability to have ships be ordered to ram another vessel with the resulting damage being related to the speed that the ships collide,
11.) having the ability to manually choose the amount of people to transport without having to alter the RTS_CFG file,
12.) having the ability to choose which ship systems to foucs on repairing when the ship is selected,
13.) having full 3-dimensional control of ships, similar to the system used on the Homeworld game series,
14.) the ability for a ship or station to force fire - like the Enterprise used the phasers in Nemesis to locate the cloaked Scimitar,
15.) adding the possibility of natural disasters on planets to take out some of the colonists,
16.) being able to design new ships through a shipyard advanced construction menu - like being able to pick the type of impulse engines, warp capabilities, and other functions to put on an already-existing ship or a brand new ship - i don't know how that would work, but it sounds really cool,
17.) being able to place a certain amount of ships in a space dock (therefore having to have the spacedock be in-scale with the ships),
18.) adding in the sound menu the ability to pick the current sound track to be used in the game, instead of just listening to the same thing the whole mission - and the ability for the game to use mp3 files - I know that can be done by turning off the in-game music and running winamp in the background, but it would be a real nice improvement.

That's about all I can think of. I hope that petition is succesful so that some of these ideas may be possible. Sorry I posted so much stuff, but its just stating how much of a reason there is for activision to make a new Armada game. I'm actually trying to find ways to add a few of those capabilities, but I don't know if that's possible with Armada 2! :roll:

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Sat May 01, 2004 1:09 am

I just wanted to make a few brief comments. The Ideas all sound fantastic(well, ok, just some). I signed the petition and all. But in light that there may never be a ST:A3, then the least they could do is make the modding arena easier by releasing all knowledge on A1 & A2. What I'm talking about is something like wests' big book of modding. I see people posting alot about the modding issues, like "how do I's" and "that must be hard-coded".
If they will not give us A3, then give us the full a1-a2 stuff. I'm not asking for souce code, just tell us what all is really hardcode.

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Sat May 01, 2004 5:23 am

Hey, that may be an even better idea in a way - I agree that they could provide us with an identification of those items that are hard-coded. I'm glad you liked some of those ideas - kinda just brainstorming - I don't really know if Activision has some of the same ideas or not. If Activision could actually come up with a patch or something that eliminates some of the hardcoding or gets around it somehow, that may be just what the modding community would need to be able to make awesome mods! Imagine an Armada 2 with open separation capability!
Also, by the way, I also thought of Starship Creator when I mentioned the idea about putting different warp cores, etc. on already-existing or new ships. :D Well, maybe with better interfaces in the future and better graphics capabilities, some of the more complex stuff I mentioned may become possible in some similar form. What I'm looking forward to seeing is Starcraft 2 :P - it's been a good many years since Starcraft came out along with its addon mission pack.
Also, I'm not "anti-odf" just because of some stupid idea I come up with :) , but it is very perceptive to initially reason that this would be true. :oops: I actually modify odf files a lot when I modify things. And I enjoy it! It would be nice, however, if some functions were automated with the option of using manual functions. With games being put on DVD, it wouldn't be beyond possibility.
About the ability to move ship construction from one station to another - this is how some things work in the actual Federation - blueprints and design mechanisms are moved sometimes from one station to another. Hey, it just sounded like a different idea at the time. The ideas aren't just to make things easier for people modifying the game, but to make the game seem more authentic in that different aspects of the game could be disassembled, moved, then reassembled. That's actually just an idea therefore to improve the game's authenticity. Also, the changes made in just one mission would not have to be stored forever as new odf files but would just apply to the mission.
Also, with the scale change of ships, planets, and stations, that was also another authenticity thing and I'm not really quite sure what processor or memory it would take to accomplish it, but I have modified my game to have correct scale of stations and planets on my 2.4 GHz computer with exceptional results. I think that the minimum for that may actually be 900MHz and 64 MB video memory, but I realize that some people don't have that either. I guess it's reasonable to think that if Armada 3 comes out, the requirements will be much more than some people have. When Armada 2 came out, my 800mhz computer was put to the limit at the highest display settings. I agree, some people don't have the capability on their machines for these newer, larger maps, but most people don't have the computer that they need to run games like War of the Ring, for instance. Game requirements as a product of time, increase over a period of time. Though most people cannot run all games because of their high requirements, it is the only way to really make an advanced leap in graphics technology. Though, with newer graphics engine design, these requirements hopefully wouldn't be as high as 1.8GHz, 128MB memory! Well, hopefully it's just a possibility. Like I said, not all these ideas could ever be accomplished.
The 3-D ability I mentioned would be a little more technical, like Homeworld and Homeworld 2 and it would provide a possibly greater challenge since defense stations would have to be placed the whole way around a base for full defense - that may take a while to achieve. However, that's just another authenticity thing.
The force-fire thing may be better for torpedoes. The torpedoes could detonate much like an artillery torpedo but without such expolsive consequences. On Star Trek, they used a spread of photon torpedoes to uncover cloaked ships by detecting shield and hull impacts. Though that would probably not be able to destroy an enemy vessel, it would certainly be able to uncover a cloaked ship for a certain small amount of time. I just kinda think that would be cool. I suppose artillery ships can do the same thing, but it would be cool to do. As for phaser force-fire, it is possible to uncover a cloaked vessel if you know where a cloaked ship may be hiding. I agree the chances are against a ship being able to hit another ship through phasers with force-fire, but once-in-a-while it would happen. I guess that just requires an educated guess - sort of a puzzle for the player to solve. It would be adding a heavy challenge since meanwhile your base may be under attack, but it would be kinda cool for missions that may involve a single ship versus another ship or group of ships. (think Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor). And the battle of the Bezan Rift on Nemesis could be reenacted!
The above is just my take on it. No matter how complicated it is, there is probably some way to engage some of those abilities. With better interfaces and graphics technology that some of us don't have, some of these possibilities may be feasible. Hey, I have an over-active imagination and I like to think of different ways of doing things. For example, I actually used to write small Star Trek stories just for my own entertainment. In one of these stories, the life support on a ship fails and the crew decides to place all of its crew in what I called "holodeck stasis." It's similar to the way Scotty was able to use a 'Diagnostic Mode' on the transporter to survive for over 70 years aboard the Jenolan when it crashed on the Dison Sphere.
Well, enough of all that - I went on far too long! 8) Some of the ideas I will try myself, succeed or fail. I just like to try new things since now I have most of every ship made installed for my game. I appreciated the feedback you had on some of the ideas because it tells me that the ideas are received well, even if some of the ideas are far-fetched. That's why I love the Star Trek community - ability to express ideas and feelings and to respond to those ideas. Thanks for your comments and Live Long and Prosper! :lol:

Connavar
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Connavar » Sat May 01, 2004 8:12 am

652nd to sign, for some reason im proud of that
Last edited by Connavar on Sat May 01, 2004 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gods have angels, Chaos have daemons, the night has us"

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Sat May 01, 2004 11:39 am

Well, it looks like there was a total of around 12 to 14 signatures on the petition from the morning of Friday to Saturday morning! :) When does the petition have to reach 2K?

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Sun May 02, 2004 12:34 am

As for ideas about what to improve with Armada-3 would be fleet operations control. It would be nice to be able to assign specific tasks withing a fleet. Also, to be able to assign a fleet flag ship. then, you just would order the flag ship to hunt, and the other ships would form up, protect the flagship and so on. I feel that is how star trek really is, so why not implement it into the only true star trek RTS. And to those that think this would be too complex, the alt would be an "auto control" option.

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Sun May 02, 2004 3:10 am

Awesome idea! :D