Should there be a Star Trek Mini Series?

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

wingsabre
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Should there be a Star Trek Mini Series?

Post by wingsabre » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:44 pm

I think that if they make a Mini Series that they should do a TV mini series explaining the development of the Remans, cuz the Romulans were originally part of the Vulcan Race. If Remans are Romulans and that means they are Vulcans then either the Vulcans would have to have a Reman counterpart, or they would have to explain the massive evolution that occurred. Basically they should create a mini series with just Vulcans and Romulans, and their Civil War. That would be a kick butt prequel.

xxxxx
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by xxxxx » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:03 am

Remans are not Romulans. The Romulans left Vulcan and found a new home world. The Remans were on one of the worlds in that system. The Romulans obviously chose the most habitable world in that system. The Remans are not in any way related to the romulans or Vulcans. You have just interpreted it wrong.

wingsabre
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by wingsabre » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:36 am

They never stated that in Nemesis, they only refered to the Remans as a lower cast.

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:13 pm

xxxxx wrote:Remans are not Romulans. The Romulans left Vulcan and found a new home world. The Remans were on one of the worlds in that system. The Romulans obviously chose the most habitable world in that system. The Remans are not in any way related to the romulans or Vulcans. You have just interpreted it wrong.
Where did you get that information from? That can't be canon.
I assumed they were just a mutated form of Romulan.

Rod.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:38 am

There was a reference to Remus in TNG. Possibly Unification.

But Data I think said when he was telling Picard about the planet and Shinzon that the Remans have always lived on Remus and that it is too close to Romulus to have a normal orbit, as a result one side of the planet is always facing the sun.

But Remans were there first as they were conquered by the Romulans and used as slaves to get resources to build up the Romulan fleets. You just need to look at them to determine that they are different.

Their facial features, their genetic markers (though there was no time to study) even their ears are different, the Remans are more bat like and transparent and their ships are of different design though their technology would be fairly similar.

My view on the Reman is that they are suppressed by the Romulans and as a result they are revolting similar to the 'black nation' revolting for independence and the other examples I think they are aiming for recongnition and built the Scimitar with that intended purpose

Ad'

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:45 am

...I thought the Remans where romulan undesirables and criminals who for generations where mutated by continuous exposure to dilithium in the mines...
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:15 am

I assumed they were a cloning experiment done on romulan dna to create a worker cast. no idea where this came from but there you go. I dont suppose genetically modified version of romulans would have no need of their own language in hind sight.

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:48 pm

Well if you think about it, the Federation is huge right, and has many many races in it. Even though Romulan space is in a relatively empty area of space, they cant be the only race in it. Remans are very likely just a race that Romulus subjugated.

CenturionV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CenturionV » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:16 pm

yeha probably, back to the main question I think a mini-series would could be good depending on how its done. The main advantage is that it does not need to be in any way set in the classic startrek setting, because it would be smaller scale than a star trek movie, and far far shorter than a series you could practically do anything you wanted in the star trek universe.

The series could be set in any time period, with any race, or any major story, and there is alot of smaller stories in trke that have been talked about but never explianed, as well as lots of possible scenarios for an interesting 4-6 hour long series.
"Oh, now be honest, Captain. Warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be. No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."

xxxxx
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by xxxxx » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:58 am

Well i've made my position clear on the romulans and remans. i think a mini series would be cool. They could set them on different ships or with other cultures such as the Klingons.

Wok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Wok » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:20 am

I like the idea of it. But I wouldn't trust anyone within the show/franchise to do it properly.

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:07 am

I, for one would love to see a DS9 mini-series. It's been 5 years since we seen the characters. How about an update on them? Since B+B bungle the movie franchise... no chance we will ever see them in it.

If that doesn't work, how about a Klingon mini-series? They were always interesting and compelling on TNG and DS9 under writer Ron Moore. Have him to run this series.

Lennis
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Lennis » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:40 am

I don't think a Romulan/Remen story would sell. Not on its own. There just aren't enough people who would watch it. A Klingon series, on the other hand, will open up ST like it's never been before. It wouldn't be hard to sell that. Everyone has heard of the Klingons, even those who don't watch ST.

Another option is to make an Excelsior series, or one that features the Enterprise B or C. That is a period that doesn't have a lot of cannon references.

Whatever story takes shape, a miniseries is a good way to experiment with a declining franchise. ( Enterprise IS a good series. Why so many people here don't support it is beyond me.)

morthamp
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by morthamp » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:13 pm

They could have a mini series based on one of the Elite Force games :?: :?