Star Trek is going to the 26th Century in it's new series

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Star Trek is going to the 26th Century in it's new series

Post by Phantom » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:14 pm

I have just read a post of an interview with TrekWatcher and Rick Berman.

They have for the past year evaluating Enterprise and the decline in viewers and have decided to return to Roddenberry's original format of space exploration and discovery where no one has gone before.

The series is set in the 26th Century onboard the Enterprise (Making it either G or H possibly) and is dubbed "Star Trek Unification" and will specifically handle the Romulans, Federation and Vulcans as it leads on from the Next Generation paid tribute to Gene Unification united Spock with Captain Picard.

It is expected to start shooting in Fall 2005 though I have found nothing on Star Trek . Com about it so whether it is another plan or it is actually in the works remains a mystery. But a Prequel Movie is being written but doesnt go back to show the crew of Enterprise NX-01. We could possibly hope to seeing perhaps another appearence of the Enterprise-B or a debuting Enterprise-C on the big screen

I have posted the interview below so you can decide for yourselves:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From TrekWatcher:

5/14/04

Coming Fall 2005…

STAR TREK: UNIFICATION

Long time Star Trek Executive Producer Rick Berman, just prior to taking a less prominent role in the Star Trek franchise, dropped a bombshell this afternoon via his weekly teleconference. Plans are underway for a new Star Trek series, this incarnation under the moniker “Unification”.

With one series midway through its projected run and hints of another film in the works, Berman explains his reasoning behind the announcement.

BERMAN: “We (Brannon Braga) have been bouncing ideas back and forth about where the Trek story should for a year or so. It occurred to us that a good amount of the recent content had a sense of the ‘recycled’. Fans have been antsy about our current direction. It then hit upon us that what we had in front of us was a creative glut. We could go back again, way back to the beginning or a prequel direction. But then it was like painting ourselves into a corner. How to keep it solid and not step on the rich mythology that is Star Trek was the issue truly at hand. The fans simply deserve to know they are being listened to and we have learned from it.”

“So we went, pardon the phrase, where we hadn’t gone before–beyond the limits of warp speed, the limits of the Federation and the limits of what we thought of and defined as a Starship.”

“We took a long look at Gene’s [Roddenberry’s] vision, the Starship as a living community, a vessel with a task to explore, discover and all those other things that made Star Trek Star Trek. He did that twice, back in the 60s and again in the 80s. When you think about it, The Next Generation is what the man would have done if not for the social and technological limitations in which the first series was born. We took the Roddenberry philosophy and pushed it to the extreme.”

TREKWATCHER: And what does this mean for Star Trek fans? What can we look forward to in a year?

(In a rare moment, Berman gives us a glimpse into the 26th Century):

BERMAN: “The premise for ‘Unification’ is borrowed from that Next Generation episode in which Spock is attempting to bring his Romulan brethren back into the fold. We took that little bit of lore and spun that idea into more of an intergalactic-scale scenario. Like Gene wanted in his last show, not to go back to the old stand-bys, but to move forward and expand literally and figuratively into new territories. From that we got the Q, Ferengi and a host of other new beings and places. Later, when he brought back some old favorites, it was done in a secondary fashion. The new guys got center stage. That’s what we’re doing again. It’s an evolution of the galaxy as a whole.”

TREKWATCHER: What is does this “evolution” entail?

BERMAN: “Gone are the old conflicts. Forget the Neutral Zones, Treaty of Algeron, and all that other stuff. It’s over. In fact, our story for the first episode deals with this transition. It’s out with the old and in with the new. Suddenly, the galaxy becomes at once at lot bigger and so much smaller. Our central theme explores what this new openness means to our characters. We did something like this with Voyager, but only skimmed the surface. This new century brings on a true Renaissance. The mission to explore strange new worlds is really gonna hit home.”

TREKWATCHER: So the big question is, will there be a Starship Enterprise?

BERMAN: “Oh yes, there will be an Enterprise. And, in keeping with our ideas and Gene’s, she’ll be a true community in space. The guys in the art department have outdone themselves coming up with the ship that looks like the vision of the show. When you see her for the first time, you won’t have look for a nameplate to know who she is. This Enterprise is going to knock your socks off.”

(Berman lets one more teaser through):

BERMAN: “And she’s REALLY fast.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Maybe now we will loose all the continity responses. But Unification looks like it'll run along side Enterprise.

I personnally think they should get to the end of Season 7 of Enterprise and wait like 5 years and use those years to produce something huge and marvelizing to really get people anticipating it but there you go.

On the upside we will see more Romulans and important questions left in Nemesis - Such as the relationship with Romulus and Remus' inhabitants - what happened to the Treaty of Algeron do Federation ships have cloaking devices?

and ones left by Voyager and DS9 between the new series

- Did they ever adapt Voyager's new technology to their vessels.
- Where are Denoblians after 2378
- What ever happened to the Xindi
- What was the fates of the Enterprises before the new one

:)

Ad'

Fireball
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Fireball » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:45 am

wholy shoot
but im kinda against the algeron thingy not being there anymore
something rings a bell that leads to the galaxy x in my mind
but im still kinda worried they might freck it up
you cant make an entire series about the vulcans and romulans
and also, how far into the future is this
and who are the cast and crew going to be?

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:21 am

they better be a good cast and lets hope that they dont have some time travel guy saying your world is doomed shows up.i also agree that i hope they dont do the entire series behind the federation romulans and vulcans

WE NEED THE BORG BACK WITH REVENGE OR SOME NEW WAR OR SOMETHING

I DONT WANT DIPLOMASY I WANT WAR :twisted:

hehe i still like the sound of this new series i hope they do it in the end i need new material instead of the old stuff in enterprise

Captain_H
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Captain_H » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:08 am

War mongering are we?

Seriously, I happen to like the idea of the new series. Of what Berman said of the new Enterprise being really fast I expect that a modified Borg transwarp drive will be installed.
Check out my Myspace page (still a work in progress but anyways)
http://www.myspace.com/captainh6440

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:55 am

From what I gather of this little tid-bit of info, I'd say there's a bigger picture missed here. After reading it a couple of times, I think the direction they are going, is a unified alpha quadrant, possibly even the whole/most of the galaxy. And for the 26th century, I'd say they are moving forward, and adding intergalactic travel. Exploring the galaxies closest to us. That puts Star Trek back to the "boldly go where no man has gone before" theme. But this is just what I see in this little "sneak peak".
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:22 am

Yeah should prove interesting to say the least :)

Ad'

CenturionV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CenturionV » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:33 am

I wanna see a major war with species 8472, they hinted on it in voyager, and I always thought some of the idea of 8472 where quite cool (the all biological ships/weapons and stuff)

If this is really true I would be quite happy for the trek community, it would probably help to take some of the pressure off of enterprise, and could get alot of older trek fans interested again.
"Oh, now be honest, Captain. Warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be. No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:55 am

But Captain Janeway made peace with Species 8472 in "In the Flesh" so it wouldnt work unless the Federation unleashed an all out invasion of fluidic space

Ad'

Thompson
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Thompson » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:59 am

Jeez what ever happend to waiting a few years to produce a new series?

Seems like a good idea tho...but how far can can you drag a Unification plot?

And i doubt the Federation has the resourses or the man power to do that. Plus it goes against Starfleet's principles to strike first?
TACTICAL ALERT

HELP SAVE STAR TREK ENTERPRISE!

Visit www.saveenterprise.com

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:19 am

Well i doubt its just the Vulcan-romulan unification itll be about

It'll be about new exploration, new unities, etc, not just the one.

And like he said, it's gonna be a FAST ship, theres a lot of possibility.

Remember one thing. Star Trek is NOT about diplomacy. It is NOT about war. It is about exploration. About discovery. With any luck Berman will return to that theory in this series.

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:34 am

hmmm sounds juicy. I personally love the idea of this new Enterprise. We can only speculate at what kind of weapons and types of interstellar travel stuff it has. Maybe it is like the Quantum Slipstream Drive, but we wont know until it starts.

Agreed that there is something more to the plot then just the Vulcan-Romulan unification. That might be the basis around the first season or so, but then they will go on to do something else.... maybe another war with the Dominion, or the Borg. As I said before, we wont know until the start of the show.

EO
Life is what you make it.

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:24 pm

sounds like it could be sweet as...
i reckon it'll begin with the vulcan-romulan unification but will go on to unify other races (it wouldnt be un-fed-like to comission a ship with the sole purpose of bringing peace to waring societies). plus that 'shes gona be fast' does have an intergalactic ring to it, if you think about it theres not much of a fresh premise for a whole series left in the original galaxy. the alpha and beta quads have been explored pretty much completely and have very little series potential. the delta quad-same due to voyager and the gamma quad also - due to ds9 (didn't see much of it but its inferred in ds9 that the dominion is pretty much 'dominant' over the whole quadrant.

as far as a series goes i'd say it'll be a qslip/transwarp thingy (they may even say seven designed it)

ah well thats enough rambling from me. what ever it is i hope its better than ent (good show and all, just doent have the old st spirit)
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

Fireball
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Fireball » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:14 pm

when are we to expect this series?

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:16 pm

I thought daniels said the Enterprise-J was from the 26th century? I like the sound of this "new series". Does this mean that the Romulan Star Empire will join the federation or will the Vulcans join the Romulan Star Empire or will the romulans and vulcans form a new empire together?

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:31 am

Fireball wrote:when are we to expect this series?
Probably Sept. of 2005.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...