Haven't you always wanted models of ST shipz?

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

EWOK_PatcheZ
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Haven't you always wanted models of ST shipz?

Post by EWOK_PatcheZ » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:44 pm

lol, my bro just came back from china and he bought me a small(0.13x.10m) difiant model. it'z quite detailed and REALLY CHEAP there. however, i'm sure if you ordered it, it would be pretty expensive. anyhoo, they got awesome ships you never thought they would make to modelz, like ferengi murauder, promethius, enterprise D with extra nacell, jemadar ship, stargazer, and of course most of the normal ships(ie. miranda, galaxy, excelsior, consitution, bird of prey.. and hte like).

i'm not sure how much the exchange rate is with japan, but the site is 'http://www.furuta.co.jp' if you wanna check it out. i'm not trying to advertise for it, but i dunno... always wanted models of ST shipz... and well... the new ST plastic model releases are just TOO EXPENSIVE(ie. my enterprise E = $125(can) ) but definitely worth it.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:34 pm

The Enterprise-D is poop

Get the Generations Enterprise-D, it seperates and is heavily detailed.

I have:

1701B, 1701C, 1701D, Defiant and the Prometheus :)

Ad'

Captain_H
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Captain_H » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:17 am

I also have the 1701-B, but I completed it before I had enough patience. It is just terrible looking. I just wish I could get another one and make it better.
Check out my Myspace page (still a work in progress but anyways)
http://www.myspace.com/captainh6440

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:23 am

Those Furuta models are actually Japanese versions of baseball cards. The box doesn't reveal what type of ship you will get if you purchase one. Meaning that you 've gotta be really lucky in order to get the one you want. They come with a pack of chocolate waffle balls ... which leaves a lot to be desire. They have released 2 sets so far comprising a total of 22 ships....

Enterprise-TOS, A,B,C,D,E,X
Equinox
Spieces ?
Defiant
Reliant
Promethus
Farragut
Warbird
Romulan from TOS
Klingon d-7
Klingon ship from TNG
Voyager
Dominion Bug
Ferengi Maruader
Deep Space Nine
Bird of Prey

If you check your local speciality store, you might find them on sale for around $6.99 a box. If you want to get the whole set you can either A)purchase the whole box which contains 2 of each out of 22 (this is the box that the candies are ship in) or B) buy the complete set version from Japan which will be very pricey or C) go on the internet or e-bay to find them. They sell them labeled.

I've brought one and I must say they are pretty cool especially in there scale and details considering it's size. They are much better than the Micro Machine versions from a few years back. I love the Promethus model because it's the only model ever made of that ship. :)

Speaking of models, what does anybody think of the 2 Enterprises A , NX-01 replica models that was released recently... with the whooshing sounds and all? Since they were scanned from the original model and program, they are very detailed and cool looking. Next up to be released is the E version.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:35 am

I have about all of the Futura models - they're a great addition to my fleet of ship models. I don't have the Enterprise-B, the Enterprise E (soon to be released) the Dominion bug or the Farragut, but I have all the others.

With the discontinuation of the Micromachines series, I was lost and was looking forward to something like this. I bought the Futura models when I found out about them on eBay. Of course, I couldn't really afford them (that's what credit cards are for :lol: ). Needless to say, I paid that off along with all the other stuff I bought. Anyway, with the Futura models, we finally have a way to have neat models of these cool ships. Personally, I hope they make an Excalibur and Excalibur-II model (with lights too :P ). When the Titan's design is accepted, hopefully that model will come. I'd like to see them sell scale-model versions of the space dock and DS9 so that the ships and stations would be the same scale (but hey, a cool model is a cool model).

Other ships I hope to see are the Pelagic class (if that model becomes something that Star Trek could use one day for the Enterprise-F), and the Pheonix class from the Star Trek Renaissance site (the Enterprise-G). Currently, my fav is the Prometheus model, which is awesome! The Darius class Starbase would be a great addition - it would be cool if it could conceal some other Futura ships! A Tactical Fusion cube is another favorite of mine - it would be cool to have a model of that!

Those Japanese sure have a way of making Star Trek life cool! :lol:

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:02 pm

Yes, they certainly know how to make detail models of all kinds... possbility the best model makers in the world. Have you seen the new snap together with internal lighting ST models Ent A, E and Nx? Very smooth detailing , but the best of all no glue and paint, thus no mess. Much better than the Ertel kits of the past. Though the price is pretty steep ranging from $60 to $100. GLUP! 8O

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:30 pm

Yep - I've seen the new Ent-A and NX ships - they are quite awesome! They are definitely a pretty penny, but will probably be even more expensive a few years from now. I totally agree with the no glue and paint part - no mess or possible damage to the structure of the model. I remember when I did some of the Ertl models that the glue ended up warping some of the plastic material, making the ship look like it went into a battle instead of just coming out of drydock :lol: . Also, the soft plastic smaller models of MicroMachines were quite vulnerable if handled. These new Futura models really stick to their name - Futuristic and durable!
I heard that a second generation of the Futura models are incoming - these models have interchangeable parts, meaning that somehow we will be able to create our own starship specifications from the models (like a Galaxy class with Sovereign-class warp nacelles or a Sovereign-X class with three warp nacelles).
Another type of new advancement is the small remote-control cars they have these days - they aren't even two inches in any dimension and they can still use remote signals to run! Who knows - in ten years, these micro radio-controlled machines may be able to fly - and that means a lot if they can get small starship models to fly (long shot, but who knows - that would be so neat). Imagine playing a virtual game of Star Trek Armada with real models - of course the battles would have to be sort of like laser-tag where a laser would hit a ship and it would be programmed to come apart and fall to the ground!
Well, as far as in-the-near-future advancements, these Futura models are definitely making a bold step that seems to definitely be paying off!

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:55 pm

There are two sets of Futura Starships

SET 1

Deep Space Nine
1701-A
Equinox
Kling. Bird of Prey
Stargazer
Card. Galor Class
Reliant
Defiant
Species 8472 Bio Ship

SECRET: Romulan D'Deridex Warbird

SET 2

1701-B
1701-C
1701-D
1701-D from All good things
Voyager
Prometheus
Farragat
Ferengi Marauda
Dominion Bug

SECRET: 1701-E

:)

Ad'

EWOK_PatcheZ
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by EWOK_PatcheZ » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:59 pm

i bought my ban dai enterprise E with the lights... and OMG... IT'Z ALL WORTH THE $120(can). this model is serious amazing. i would assume the enterprise A made from the same company would likewise be as good. but the NX01's box is HUGE(like the size of that 1:2500 or something enterprise carrier model).

and speaking of the Futura ships, if... big if...if you go to china... they normally have most of the boxes open, so you can decided on which ships you want to purchase, without the guessing game.

now... considering how big star wars is... i wonder why they dont' have anymore hi-detail models of xwings and tie fighters...
the x wing and tie/i suck butt as models, the material is just not up to par with what they make japanese models with.

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:54 pm

:) Those Bandai models are certainly sweet considering how they learn from the mistakes Ertl made when they produce their ST ship line. 2 things I woulda liked which they didn't include was the addition of blinking navigation lights and the lit saucer registry.

How can anyone forget the pain in the butt those plyons on the Ertl Ent A were. They were so freaking weak and fragile, they keep breaking requiring Krazy glue to hold them in place and we all know the end result would be on that. I've brought 3 of them trying to advoid this problem. Let's not forget about the mess in trying to paint them. You needed a very, very, very steady hand and with a slight mistake... you pretty much destroyed the models.

I brought several of those models over the years and the only one to survive intact is the Excelsior... more due to their design than material.

Revell is now producing the American ST model line with TOS Ent and Klingon D-7. What's interesting about this is the size of the NX model. I haven't seen the completed model, but the box is pretty huge... about the size of a X_BOX box. Anyone know what they are like?

I've got those Micromachines and were really nice , but they were made of plyable plastic and tend to bent out of shape plus the paint and decals will chip off after prolong handling. :cry:

As for the Furuta line, I hope they continue to produce a new yearly set. I would like to get replicas of the Akira, Steamrunner, Sabre, Dauntless, Centaur , Grissom and others too many to mention. The interchangeable ships sounds cool.. sorta like those .... imported Micronauts toys.

For anyone who's interested...there are sites on the net that offer custom ordered and built spaceship models... like the Akira, but be prepare to pay a hefty price for them ($250 and up! 8O )

Finally, considering how the last 2 SW movies were critically blasted, there isn't just alot of demand for them. Besides, those models and other SW merchandise have been produced, repackaged and reproduced from one company to another (over 27 years) pretty exhausted any further interest in them. I mean, how many ways are you gotta market another Han Solo action figure?

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:00 pm

I think Series 3 Should consist of:

1) Enterprise NX01
2) Noxerian Valdore
3) Romulan Scout ship
4) Rhode Island
5) Excelsior
6) Grissom (or Misc Orberth)
7) Steamrunner
8) Akira
9) Sabre
10) Norway

SECRET: Scimitar

:)

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:54 am

You hear that Furuta? "Make it so!".....pleazzzzzze :D

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:55 am

u can buy unofficial micromachines u no

I have the Steamrunner, Enterprise-E Nemesis, Noxerian and a NX01 Micromachine (They are about 6cm long) they are from a small UK company that produce it that I found by mistake, but their Enterprise - E matches Nemsis' not Micros micromachin of the Enterprise E First Contact concept. They also had the Prometheus with seperation and a sabre but they are outta stock on those 2 :(

They are made of Resin

Ad'

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:32 am

hey phantom where was this uk store?
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:35 am