Babylon 5 vs. Star Trek

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Babylon 5 vs. Star Trek

Post by jradc » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:07 pm

I was wondering if anyone had thought of taking Wraith's B5 mod and making a B5 vs. Trek mod. I don't know if Wraith is still around, but he did a wonderful job on his B5 mod. I'd like to see how Galaxy classes stand up to Omega Class Destroyers!! lol

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:58 pm

I just hope that any B5 vs Star Trek actually reflects the actual size comparisons... Such as that by OFFICIAL technical data a Whitestar is about the same length as an Excelsior Class in Star Trek. (Most Sci-fi battles crossover films try placing the whitestar as being same size as standard klingon bird of prey scout, which is way off...)
Most significant capital ships in B5 are more to scale with the Jem'hadar's Massive torpedo battleship (DS9 episode: The Valiant) and Imperial class star destroyers from Star Wars.
Would be cool to see the mod made though.
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams

JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:02 pm

I tried this with SW instead of ST, however I think it might need some balancing, only a few x-wings can take out that destroyer and the B5 fighters can't penetrate the Z95 shields, but the destroyers still are quite powerfull andthey are cheap, but in a 1-1 against a galaxy the galaxy will whipe them out.

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:07 am

I've always been curious also to see how the Borg would, or could, handle the Shadows or the Vorlons. :D

I agree with the size comparisons as well. I read somewhere that an Omega destroyer is just over a mile in length. Starfleet has nothing close to that, except maybe the Sovereign class. How big is the Klingon Negh'var or the D'Deridex Warbird? They might be closer to that size.

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:49 am

i think some rescaling is in order for the people who made b5.whitestar being the same size as a excelsior is not realistic to me i think it suits the same size as the bird of prey to be honest well thats my opinion :)

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:05 am

If you go to www.b5tech.com they give the specs on every ship in the B5 universe. The Whitestar is definitely bigger than a BOP, but I'm not sure if it as big as an Exzcelsior. I always figured it would be around the size of a Norway class, perhaps a touch smaller. In the Trek world, Whitestars would be considered destroyers.

It's probably actually more on par with the Defiant class.

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:39 pm

given the general premise of ds9 i'd say the defiant IS st's answer to the whitestar. new fancy tech (cloak), heavily armed and armoured same as if you ask me.

rob
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:40 pm

fleetadmiralmax wrote:i think some rescaling is in order for the people who made b5.whitestar being the same size as a excelsior is not realistic to me i think it suits the same size as the bird of prey to be honest well thats my opinion :)
In a few episodes you can see some rather decent sized shuttles can dock inside the whitestar, indicating too big for bird of prey scale (but not neccessarily as big as excelsior) I just try to go with the official tech info...
Another interesting thing to note is B5 beam weapons tend to be far more powerful than many Star Trek equivelents (according to tech sites), however Trek ships have what most (not all) B5 ships dont... shields. (I think Mimbari had an equivelent to shields for their large ships, it was mentioned in an episode once I beleive, could be wrong though.)
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:57 am

Minbari cruisers and battleships do have a minimal form of enrgy shielding. Concentrated phaser and torpedo fire would break it fairly easily though. The B5 universe relies alot on massive amounts of armor plate for protection, especially the Earth Alliance. Of course, the Shadows and Vorlons, and to a lesser degree the aliens of Thirdspace, use bio organic technology. The only equivalent in the Trek world is Species 8472, and we all saw how well Voyager and the Borg fared against them in a stand up fight. lol

I still desperately need some help with the ST vs. SW mod, by the way. :lol:

JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:12 am

Star Trek however does have some nice little tricks left, an I'm not sure B5 has them too, take a look at the borg, the can adapt their shields to their enemy's energy weapons, Trek has transporters, so they need shields to make sure the enemy doesn't use them and Trek has the slipstreamdrive. But I must say I'm more interested in seeing Star Wars against B5, I think SW would win this one easily but I haven't seen any official Wars energy outputs so that might be difficult, but I think the Death Star might provide a some ideas. And the Wars ships all have shields (apart from some fighters) and I believe those shields can be quite heavy.

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:17 am

Star Wars ships have one major flaw that would doom them in either the Trek of B5 universe. Accuracy. As much as I love Star Destroyers, they can't hit the broad side of a barn without resorting to overkill.

The weapons precision of the other two would just carve them out of the sky. I'd even give the Vorlons even odds against the Death Star ina stand up fight with one of their planet killers. Not to mention the Shadow Death Cloud.

JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:08 am

Well I don't really know anything about B5, it's only been on tc here once (at least the movies) since I am an adult (I'm only 18 now). It might have been on more often, but that must be years ago, maybe when I was about 12 or so. And I never really liked it. Not that I like ST that much, it's between avarage and very good for me (depending on the series, I really like Enterprise and TNG is just below that but I don't like TOS) and SW is on the top for me, shared with Battlestar Galactica.

Anyway, the accuracy is indeed what SW lacks, but this only really goes for the Turbolasers and those things are meant for ship-ship combat, so it doesn't matter much as all turrets will actually hit the ship. To combat the fighters SW relies on ordinary laser cannons or quad guns wich are accurate enough and I believe they shoot faster, a bit more chaingun like, so those things can shoot down a fighter easily. I'm trying to build a mod with all sci-fi I know off in it, and that basicly does includes these 3 and a few extra ships, but I might change put the rebels and the empire together, just as I plan to do with the EA pieces on the B5 mod. But I think B5 has less ships, so the really big classes might not be available to them (like the SovSD and the SSD). Just let me know what you think about this mod.

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:11 am

Awesome. I'll be happy to help in any way I can with B5 tech and ship information and such. I'm a huge fan of the show and have collected quite a bit of information about the hardware.

If you ever played Wraith's B5 A1 mod, his ships for it are pretty much perfect. As close tto the actual show as one could get I believe.

iOSYS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by iOSYS » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:24 pm

I would love a b5vsst mod, I like b5, I dont know to much about it though...Has is come out on dvd yet? I think that it would be interesting to play this mod.

My thaughts on things like weapons damage and size:

I suppose it depends on what type of bird of prey you compare the whitstar to, the b'rel is like 90 meters long, but a k'vort is like the size of a galaxy class starship.

St shields have advanced alot since the early tng days...Sovs, Akiras, Defiants, Galaxys, Sabres, Lakotas, they all have new shields that are configured to repel Dominion poleron weapons and quantum torps. I think that a Galaxy class post dom war refit could take a substancial-er blow than the pre refit Galaxy class. And im not sure about b5 weapons but some stuff dosent affect st shields at all, like electromagnetic energy and most typed of plasma. St shields are also almost laser proof (not sure if b5 uses lasers)

Perhaps the advantage of the st races in the mod could be strength in numbers until the larger sovs and stuff could be built. but say the EA would only build a few ships, they would just be alot stronger.