Babylon 5 vs. Star Trek

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:00 pm

That's what I've been thinking about, making the B5 ships stronger compared to their ST and SW counterparts, but still keeping the SW fighters stronger than any others, and ST and SW simply have more ships, so the B5 ships might be more cost efficient, but the largest SW and ST ships have no B5 equal, but it's a hell of a lot of work, I have just finished the Empire but it's still in the testing stage.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:46 pm

Hmmmm...interesting! I must start plans on such a ship - assimilate the assimilated!
:lol:
The Borg: "your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to ours." Me: "how 'bout, no, you primitive Borg morons?" :twisted:

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:15 pm

One thing that's been overlooked in the discussion is the sheer size of ships in the B5 universe. An Earth Omega destroyer is just over a mile in length according to ship size comparison charts and the B5 tech website. Babylon 5 was 5 miles long, Babylon 4 was even bigger and had ungodly armament.

The point is, the bigger the ship, the more space for systems that generate power. Most B5 ships may not have shields, but they are heavily armored and can devote ridiculous amounts of power to their weaponry. They have the raw power of Star Wars ships, with the accuracy of Star Trek ships. This makes them very formidable indeed.

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:39 am

but i bet that they are not as accurate as ST ships well lets say there phasers never miss and think of the photon and quantum torps they could do heavy damage to any b5 ship

have you ever thought that B5 ships do not have force fields to close of hull breaches. and the tech to beam a torp right into the heart of that ship.you could beam 5 quantum torps inside a minbari cruiser and bye bye cruiser hehe 8) star trek ships have a large advantage i think anyway

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:59 am

So that makes it a better series? I figured that by "Star Trek v Babylon 5" it meant how good the series is, not who would win in a battle.... :P (Only kiddin, i not annoyed :))

Anywho, i've always been a bit annoyed with Star Trek DS9, since i found out just how much of a B5 rip-off it is. Everything down to the baseball, and the captains orange obsession, it's all there. A concept drawing also shows DS9 having a monorail system! :D

USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:29 am

So what, ds9 is still one of the best star trek series.
Its been a while.

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:46 am

yup, DS9 from the appearance of the dominion up to finale is my fav trek events ever. To be honest I never noticed the similarities between them till you pointed them out, I really liked the B5 series and prefer that universe to the trek one, but I prefer the trek ships, Sheridan would have been an excellent captain for a series but Sisco would kick his butt :P

USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:40 am

Yeah, Sisko is the best captain around. :)
Its been a while.

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:42 am

Sisko would have made an excellent Earth Force general.

I don't mean to try to say one is better than the other, just that they both have advantages and dis-advantages. Although, one small thing. The transporter strategy would work with everyone except the Minbari, Shadows and Vorlons. All three have an energy based shield system similar to Trek, it was just never really made a central element in the show. It certainly should have been though. Also, the Minvbari stealth technology would give Trek commanders a difficult time. It makes it nearly impossible to get an accurate weapons lock. The only ones that could do it in the show were the Shadows and the Vorlons. Plus Minbari ships have the ability to heal damage now, since they incorporated it on the Whitestars.

Star Trek would crush the Earth Alliance and the Narns pretty easily. The Centauri would'nt be much more of a challenge for them. But the Minbari, Shadows, Vorlons, and The First Ones would be a formidable challenege for them.

Not that any of this would help with making a mod, but it's fun to talk about. lol

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:18 pm

Yeah. I'm not saying i dont like DS9 or anything, i mean i loved Way of the Warrior, and Call to Arms, and they made it really good. It's just me developing a disliking to Paramount, i guess :)

Ships (and everything) in B5 is made more ruggedly. None of the sweeping curves of the Sovereign, or the sleek beauty of the Excelsior. The Nova and Omega are pure armour-plated war machines. And if they're over a mile long, that makes those cannons they have BIG. B5 concentrates on more industrial styles, and raw power, and heavy armour. There's no saying if a quantum could burst through the armour at all.

Plus EA ships dont have warp nacelles sticking out, or a bridge stuck right on the top. :P

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:40 pm

Certainly, on a purely technical level, Star Trek rules the roost. There's just no question about it. Rugged is the perfect way to describe Babylon 5. As far as I know, there was only 1 true scientific ship in the whole show and that was the Explorer class Earth ship. The B5 ships have a limited capability to do double duty like the Trek ships, but they are made primarily as warships as Atlantis pointed out so clearly.

I can certainly understand being upset with Paramount. They've just dropped the ball on with the Star Trek franchise. Hopefully now that the creator of Babylon 5 is now writing for Enterprise, things will improve quickly. I just want to see them go back to the 24th century timeline. I never agreed with the concept of going backwards. That could have been taken care of as backstory in a new Next Gen. era series if they really felt the need to give a history lesson. I love Scott Bakula as the captain, but I'm afraid he's being wasted in the current series.

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:14 am

It wouldnt really be fair to say that ST rules Tech wise. The B5 galaxy is very different to the ST one; things have happened differently and everyone's adapted to that. The races work in a different way to what we're used to seeing in Star Trek.

Yeah i agree with that about Enteprise being a bit of a waste. Perhaps a TMP-era series would've worked (although it'd mess up my plans for my storyline :D). Otherwise i'm not sure which other eras/places they could concentrate on.
But then again, they are planning a new series....

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:13 pm

Very true, Atlantis. Technology is something that occurs as a result of an adaptation or series of adaptations to one's environment. The Borg and Species 8472 have been at war for who knows how long, but Species 8472 are resistant to Borg assimilation - technology as the result of adaptation. For America, we adapted to hijackings by putting (duh) a lock on the cockpit door (duh)! And of course, evolving airline security that is also a big pain I imagine (though I've never been on a plane - I take a car or train like Zefram Cochrane said in First Contact).

jradc
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by jradc » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:11 am

I meant to say that Star Trek is significantly more technical than B5 or Star Wars. To me, the disadvantage of that is that they have come to rely upon that technology, which at times inhibits that ability to adapt to circumstances. If that makes sense. I'm not sure I worded it like I should have, but it's the best way I could think of to describe it. lol