Favorite quotes, makin a list

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Favorite quotes, makin a list

Post by Harrie » Mon May 02, 2005 8:38 pm

Lets see how many interesting quotes we can come up with. He's some of mine. Its only a few. the last one is really long. also ten points to the person/people who know where it came from.

You can learn a lot about a person if you just take the time to inject them with sodium pentothal. –Anonymous

If the whole world depends on today's youth, I can't see the world lasting another 100 years. –Socrates

Among life's perpetually charming questions is whether the truly evil do more harm than the self-righteous and wrong. -Jon Margolis

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. -Bill Watterson

The willing, Destiny guides them; the unwilling, Destiny drags them. -Seneca the Younger

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his. -George S. Patton

Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shoot. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that? -M. Adducci

Practical politics consists in ignoring facts. -Henry Brooks Adams

Let them hate, so long as they fear. -Accius

I take a simple view of living. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it. -Sir Laurence Olivier

If you're going to do something wrong, at least enjoy it. -Leo C. Rosten
On the way back, they sang a number of tuneful and reflective songs on the subjects of peace, justice, morality, culture, sport, family life, and the obliteration of all other life forms. -Douglas Adams

No matter what a man's past may have been, his future is spotless. -John R. Rice

When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?" -Brady's First Law of Problem Solving

Committee- a group of people who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done. -Fred Allen

"Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?" –Douglas Adams

Destiny is as destiny does. If you believe you have no control, then you have no control. -Wess Roberts

A man who is a master of patience is master of everything else. -George Savile, Marquis of Halifax

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it. -Margaret Thatcher

Strange to see how a good dinner and feasting reconciles everybody. -Samuel Pepys

The holy passion of friendship is so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring in nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money. -Mark Twain

TEACHER: Explain Newton's First Law of Motion in your own words.
CALVIN: Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz. -Bill Watterson

Pale Death kicks his way equally into the cottages of the poor and the castles of kings. -Horace

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. – Ulysses S. Grant, American General

There’s a period in any war between the first blow and the second. It’s a quiet moment, an almost tranquil time, when the realization of what has happened is just sinking in and everyone feels they know what happens next. Some prepare to flee. Some prepare to hit back. But no one moves. Not yet. It’s a prefect moment, the time when the ball is at the highest point of the throw. The action has been taken, and for one frozen moment everything is moving, but everything is at rest. Then there are those jackasses who can’t leave such things alone. And the ball starts downward again, the second blow is thrown, and we plunge into the maelstrom. - The Liberty Manifesto
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

fetalmonkey
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by fetalmonkey » Mon May 02, 2005 8:52 pm

ive always loved when pircard says that they are going to go where no man has gone befor

live long and prosper-spock

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 » Mon May 02, 2005 9:09 pm

Experience comes from what we have done, wisdom comes from what we have done badly. -Theadore Levitt

Truth des not change because it is, or is not, believed by a mojority of the people. -Giordano Bruno

Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them. -Mark Twain

Patience is the ability to let your light shine after your fuse has blown. -Bob Levey

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. -Rudyard Kipling

Curiosity is the wick in the candle of learning. -William Arthur Ward

Not failure, but low aim, is a crime. -James Russell Lowell

For all things share the same breath - the beasts, the trees, the man, they all share the same breath...

what is man without the beasts?

if all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For what ever happens to the beasts soon happens to man.

All things are connected...what ever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. -Cheife Seattle, 1854 (my personal favorite)
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Mon May 02, 2005 9:17 pm

A few i found hinding on my computer

"The Seventh can handle anything it meets." – General George A. Custer while declining reinforcements for the Battle of the Little Big Horn. All 210 soldiers of the Seventh were killed including Custer.

‘We’re heading toward Federation space at maximum warp. The crew has responded with the dedication I’ve come to expect of them. And like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields throughout history, I wait for the dawn.’– Jean Luc Picard Star Trek Nemesis

"He who stays on the defensive does not make war, he endures it"
- Field Marshal Colmar Baron von der Goltz, 1883

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")
- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (ca 390 AD),

‘The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one’s freedom of action"- Xenophon, Greek historian (c. 430-355 BC)

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." - J. Robert Oppenheimer quoting Hindu texts.
Last edited by Harrie on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Mon May 02, 2005 9:45 pm

hmm why not get invloved.

"War does not determain whos right, it determains who is left." -- Confusious.

"He who does not think of the consiquences, does not know how it will destroy him in the end." -- Me

"Is the enemy of my enemy not my friend? or is he still my enemy?" -- Unknown

this one is a conversation between a couple of people:
"So let me get this straight, you want to put some aluminum armor on the side of those shuttle buses, get over to andy's, save him, then drive through a city of a few thousand of those mother f**kers, to get to this a*s holes boat, to go to some island that we dont even know exists?" -- CJ

"Yeh" -- cant remember his name

"That sounds about right, yeh" -- Tucker

"Ok... Im in" -- CJ

All that from Dawn of the Dead

"Histroy is only what you make it to be" -- Unknown

"Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it, those who fail to learn history correctly, why they are simply doomed" -- Unknown

"No harm ever came from reading a book" -- Eve from The Mummy

"No harm ever came from opening a chest" -- Eve, The Mummy Returns
"Yeh no harm ever came from reading a book, remember how that one went?" -- Rick O'connel(sp) The Mummy Returns

"Theres a red thingy.. moving towards the green thingy... I think we're the green thingy" -- Guy, Galaxy Quest

EO
Life is what you make it.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Tue May 03, 2005 8:42 am

Daniel: "Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music."
Jack: "So… Sex, drugs, and Rock 'N Roll?"
Daniel: "In a manner of speaking, yeah."
-----------------------
Fraiser (to Teal'c, whom O'Neill just knocked out boxing): "So you feeling any better?"
Teal'c: "I will be fine, Dr. Fraiser."
O'Neill: "Teal'c, I'm really sorry."
Teal'c: "You are not."
O'Neill: "He's right about that."
------------------------
Waitress: "What can I get you?"
O'Neill: "Um, three of the biggest steaks you've got, rare, with everything. Baked potato."
Waitress: "You got it." (Turns to leave)
O'Neill: "Excuse me. That was for me."
Daniel: "Yeah, I'm going to have three as well."
O'Neill: "Four?"
Daniel: "Four. Four is good."
Carter: "Me too, and French fries with mine. Oh, and a diet soda." (O'Neill and Daniel give her a funny look) "I like the taste better." (Waitress leaves) "So has it occurred to anyone that we're defying a direct order?"
Daniel: "Well, it's not like we haven't defied orders before."
Carter: "Well, yeah, but that was to save Earth."
O'Neill: "Earth, steaks...there's a difference?"
Daniel: "We'll be back before anyone knows we're gone."
-----------------------------------
O'Neill (as he and Teal'c are hitting golf balls through an open wormhole): "How far is Alaris, anyway?"
Teal'c: "Several billion miles, O'Neill."
O'Neill: "That's gotta be a record."
Hammond: "Colonel O'Neill, what the HELL are you doing?"
O'Neill: "In the middle of my back swing?!"
Martin: "I'm not leaving colonel!" (O'Neill drags him off camera)
Martin: "Ok maybe I am"
Daniel (to Thor): "You're actually saying that you need someone dumber than you are?"
O'Neill: "You may have come to the right place."
Hammond: "Thor, with all due respect to you situation, we need SG-1 here."
Carter: "I could go, Sir."
O'Neill: "I don't know Carter, you may not be dumb enough."
Carter: "I think I can handle it Sir."

USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova » Tue May 03, 2005 8:55 am

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."
-- Plato

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
-- Muhammad Ali

Sir, if you were my husband, I would feed you poison"

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would eat it"
--Winston Churchill

The oldest, shortest words -- "yes' and "no" -- are those which require the most thought."
--Pythagoras

"when u were born, u were crying and everyone was smiling. long live your life, because when u die, u are smiling and everyone around u are crying" -anonymous

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

"You are absolutely right, madam, I am drunk. And you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober. You, however, will still be ugly" --Winston Churchill

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."

Chief Aupumut, Mohican. 1725 (I really like this one)

I not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. -Pablo Picasso

Ein vlok, Ein reich, Ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler
One World, One web, one Program - Bill Gates
^lol
Its been a while.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Tue May 03, 2005 1:34 pm

"Oh shi..." - Hollywood

"Yipee-key-yeah mother f***er" - Bruce Willis (Die Hard I)

--------

Granted, you might not think of these as quotes, but, these are used more often than one might beleive, and, although they may contain offensive material, they have been applied today in many different ways, including the fact they are most memorable too.

--------

"If something's worth doing...I'd have done it already" - Simpsons/Futurama, can't remember which.

"Life is meant for living, so live it!" - Anonymous

"Rum! Why the Rum?!" - Captain Sparrow/ Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean)

"Luke, I am your father." - If you don't know this then, you don't deserve to know!

"To be, or not to be?" - Shakespeare (Forgotten the play, please edit if someone knows)/General Chang ST:VI

"In a galaxy, far far away..." - Opening titles to Star Wars

"Will it be, that forever no-one will know of the events before us? Is this, I ask you, the way of the world?" - Unknown

Defaiant_Rules
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Defaiant_Rules » Tue May 03, 2005 8:54 pm

"War is cruelty, there is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over." William T. Sherman

"Everything that can go wrong will." Murphy's Law (my personal favorite)

All I can think of at this time.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Tue May 03, 2005 9:45 pm

"To be, or not to be?" is from hamlet, i dont remeber who says it though

"Friends in high places can be hell, but they can also be the best in the world. It all depends on whose side their on."- Me

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:15 pm

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."

-Yogi Berra
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Porty
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Porty » Fri May 06, 2005 7:35 am

Ancient Chinese Proverbs

Virginity like bubble - one prick all gone

Man who run behind car get exhausted

Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day

Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ

Man who walk thru airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok

Man with one chopstick go hungry

Man who scratches butt should not bite fingernails

Man who eat many prunes get good run for money

Baseball is wrong, man with four balls cannot walk

Panties not best thing on earth but next to best thing on earth

War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left

Wife who put husband in doghouse soon find him in cathouse

Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night

It take many nails to build crib but one screw to fill it

Man who drive like hell bound to get there

Man who stand on toilet is high on pot

Man who lives in glass house should change clothes in basement

Man who fishes in other man's well often catches crabs

Man who farts in church sits in own pew

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Fri May 06, 2005 8:17 am

Uh, Porty, I'm... not so sure those were chinese, but they were funny

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Fri May 06, 2005 6:48 pm

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
-- Derek Bok

"Its good to be here in the great state of Chicago!"
-- Dan Quale
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Sat May 07, 2005 12:01 am

Some people are only alive because it is against the law to shoot them! (unknown)

The Roman Empire did not create a prosper and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them (unknown)

"Eagerness for combat is an asset for a soldier, dangerous for a commander, and criminal for a politician." - unknown

I am a sniper...
A loner...
I am not a part of the world...
But merely observe it through my crosshair...
I live by the shadows and die by the shadows...
I am always distant from everything else...
I am fearful by strength...
Invincible by distance...
Being a sniper is the worst thing to be...
Only hell can cleanse what we do.

Navy Rules for Gunfighting
1. Adopt an aggressive offshore posture
2. Maintain a strong Combat Air Patrol over the fleet
3. Send the Marines
4. Drink Coffee