The end of World War Two

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Harrie
Commander
Commander

The end of World War Two

Post by Harrie »

60 years today the bloodiest conflict in the history of mankind came to an end on the deck one the most powerful warships of the time.

Add your comments, thoughts, feelings, etc. of this day past and present.

Here's mine, A picture
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.
USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova »

It was not necessary to drop the two bombs. And no it wouldn't have cost more lives becuase Russia already agreed to join the fight en with Russia in their backgarden Japan was more then happy to surrender to the Americans. Why?
Because the Russians weren't that better then the Germans with POW's (prisoners of war). In Berlin every German soldier tryed to get to the side of the allies.

Just my 2 cents ^^
Its been a while.
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

I don't take pride in the fact that the U.S. used the nuclear Bomb on Japan. However, since my grandfather and his brother both fought in the war in that theater, I have to take what I know of the time based on my grandfather's stories and point of views, added to my own logic. My grandpa always beleived that if we (the allies in general) didn't bring the war to an end when we did, there's a stong chance things would have gone worse in the long run. Because of the use of nuclear bombs at the end of the last great war, the world was saved from a full scale nuclear war. WWII would have come to an end several years later than it did. However, without the understanding of the nuclear bomb, and what fall-out was really like, there's a much higher chance that when the cold war came about, then without understanding of the full scope of things, the US and USSR would most likely commited a more horrable crime by actually using nukes against each other. That would have effected all the nations of the world, and brought the human race to it's knees, if not completely destroyed the race of man. So, even though some think this should have been avoided, in the long run, this very act may have saved us all.

I am proud of my grandfather and his brother, and all servicemen that have served their country. My grandfather lost his brother over the pacific in 1943. It is this great uncle of mine, in which paid the ultimate price for freedom, that I got my name from.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...
Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 »

I have the highest respect for all who served during that time.

While I don't like the idea that the USA dropped the nukes on Japan. I really don't like the possibilities that could have been had they not. Yes, Russia would have been involved but they always were in some way. Would you really of wanted Russia to take the capital in Japan and make it a comunist state? Also, Japan has always been a proud people. They do awesome things in anything that they do. If they thought they could take thier enemy with them they would have fought to the death. I think thier strategy was to make the idea of a assualt on the island of Japan so exspensive in toll of human life that the Allies would not try it.

Anyways, it was a very trying time for all nations. I am glad it is in the past and that we did survive it as a race.
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

If anyone would like to read my 4 part article about the logic and controvercy of invading Japan verses using the bombs go to http://www.combatsim.com/index.php

I am researching for future articles about the Japs bio/chem usage and just plain degenerate and savage activities in WW 2 perpetrated against the Chinese and other Asians. Frankly they make the Nazis look like choir boys.
The Borg will rock your world!
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

Good article Twitch. I enjoyed it. It was enlightning and educational. Also, it goes hand in hand with what my grandfather used to say.

Again, let me say that I personally am not proud of, as an american, that we had to use the big bomb. I had studied nuclear sciences when I was younger, and understand that it is the most vile of all weapons ever invented (aside from the other WMDs like bio-weapons) and deployed. I personally hope that such devices never have to be used again.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...
Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Numbazix »

The Germans and the Japanese both were working on nuclear programs. In the case of the Japanese they probably would have opted for a dirty bomb. In the last days of the war before Germany surrendered the Nazis shipped enriched uranium via submarine. The destination was Japan. When the crew learned of the surrender the crew changed course and went to a US Naval base. The two Japanese advisors onboard committed suicide prior to the U-232's arrival in US waters.

It was absolutely necessary for the US to use their nuclear weapons to shorten the war and to save nearly 3 million lives (an estimated 1 million Americans and 2 million Japanese).
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?
odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey »

All of this raises 2 interesting "what if?" questions....

-Would not dropping the bomb off the coast of Japan as a demonstration of such overwhelming power accomplish the same results - the surrender of Japan - without such a massive loss of life?

-If the similar circumstances were happening today... would we be as eager to do it even for a just cause?

something to think about.....
:?:
Titan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Titan »

I don't think it was needed for a second bomb to be dropped, the Japanese were already talking about surrender when the first was dropped but the US was too impatient and wanted to show their "power" not only to the Japanese but to the world.

A while ago there was a tv programme on the BBC called Hiroshima. It was a documentary about the first dropping of the atom bomb. I thought the programme showed the arrogance of the US military. They were too willing to use this weapon and they were all too proud of it. They used the weapon without knowing enough of what the after effects were.
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

Odessey- follow the link and read the article. It tells why they discarded the idea of show off testing for the Japs.

Titan- even AFTER Hiroshima the Jap War Cabinet was deadlocked in votes to capitulate! For some devine reason Hirohito broke the tie and voted for surrender. No idea why he had a change of heart after everyone was vowing to fight to the last man woman and child. Guess he figured we had a bunch of bombs.

Numbaziz- the German uranium oxide from the U-234 was used in the Hiroshima bomb. Part 4 tells about all that's known about the Japanese nuclear program. It is plausible they lit off a nuke in August.

If there was no Manhattan Project you can guess at the carnage. Instead of 5 invasion beaches like D-Day there were to be 35 on Kyushu. On Okinawa more than 200,000 Japanese military and civilians died along with 12,000 Americans in an epic struggle that took 3 months. Just scale up things and see how ridiculous it would have been to invade for us and them casualty-wise.
The Borg will rock your world!
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

I agree. Considering the idea of fighting every single Japanese civilian to the death, the bombs were the best policy.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to
USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova »

Well, yeah I mean nobody cares about innocent people anyway? [/sarcasm]
Its been a while.
Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 »

Twitch, my guess would be the reason He did decide to break the tie and surrender was he knew his people would fight to the death and he knew the allies would not stop till they were defeated.

It takes a great leader to accept surrender when he knows the only option is the destruction of his people. I know Japan is a very proud people and they should be. Pride is the main cause of war and death. I am happy to see that Japan decided to make the choice that would accually save lives instead of take more. B/c remember, it was Japan that finally pulled America into the war. It was b/c of Pearl Harbor that America had the public support to fight such a war. Ofcourse I am sure that most people on here realise and know all this already. So, I am probably preaching to the choir so to say.
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

USS_Nova wrote:Well, yeah I mean nobody cares about innocent people anyway? [/sarcasm]
You do not understand. We would have had to kill millions of armed civilians besides their army, estimated at 3 million civilian deaths and 5 million military deaths as opposed to 3-500,000.

On Okinawa the population committed mass suicide, and tens of thousands threw themselves off cliffs..........what if Tokyo had a mass suicide upon invasion?
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to
USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova »

You can't control what people do to theirselfs, but you can control what you do to other people.
Its been a while.