Dude's, anyone got a Dell PC?

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Dude's, anyone got a Dell PC?

Post by Twitch »

Just curious about customer satisfaction on Dell PCs if anyone has one.
The Borg will rock your world!
JkerPlay
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JkerPlay »

I've got one... I am very happy with the service I have recieved. The DVD-ROM went out on my computer and they sent a service technician to replace it. It was replaced 4 days after I called DELL to report the problem.
AIO Mod Author
Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 »

I was told that Dell had to have great customer support b/c thier systems were always breaking down or developing problems.
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.
rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas »

My Wife has an older Dell Desktop that has worked just fine for about five years now.

A lot of my friends have Dell Notebooks(laptops) and are very satisfied with them.

Rod.
USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova »

Sure but if you want to play any of the newer games build your own system.
Its been a while.
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

I have worked on "Out of warranty" Dell brand PCs. For what they are, they are OK. But I agree with Nova, If you want a good system, DIY. Just as an example, Back about 2 years ago, I was in direct competion with them. I could not compete with them in price of their cheap systems, That's when they and gateway were starting to offer "$500 or less" systems. WellMy cheapest "NEW" system I would build was about $600, not including a monitor. That's because I would not put refurbished parts in a "New" system. However, I always left it up to the customer. Now, when you got up to their "$1000 or more" systems, then I could usually out do them on all fronts. When you got to the "$3000 or more" systems, then I could Give a 200% better system, and cost the customer at least $500 less than dell would charge them. At the time, their most expensive home system was priced at $6400 at the time, and the best to offer I would put together was $4500, and have more stuff in it.

Dell's top selling point is their Customer service/ Tech-Sup. I will not knock them, as they are good people. If you want a systen that is well covered, then a dell is OK. If you want a top end system, build it yourself, or find a friend that will.

2 places I shop are http://www.zipzoomfly.com , and http://www.geeks.com. Anyone in the US would be wise to use them for parts. I get my secondary parts (like Cases, powersupplies, Case fans, monitors, mouse-KB-speakers, Etc) from the Geeks (Geeks are a wholesale warehouse of sorts), but be warned, they charge for shipping (which is very reasonable). Now for my Primary parts (Hard drives, CPUs, Mobos, and O/Ss and such), I go through zipzoom. They also offer free shipping on most parts. I have used these guys for a long time now, and have only had minor problems over several years. Their sites are very secure and the customer service is outstanding. I swear by these guys. :wink:
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...
USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova »

Yeah, its the same as alienware.
Its been a while.
Raptor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptor »

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 (laptop). It's a pretty good system. I've only had it about 2 weeks, but so far I haven't had any problems with it. My uncle has had one for almost two years, and he hasn't had any problems with it as far as i know...
If you want a free custom sig, send me a PM or email ( Raptor226@gmail.com ).
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

OK, I'm just curious of product quality, longevity and stability. I know any top end machine has more than enough power to handle all apps thown at it but was curious of Dells broke a lot. :)
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

I had an 8100 dimension for 5 and a half years now.

I only just changed the hardware.

It was a dream, save for windows ME, but thats not Dell.

It has never crashed, lost data, or had a bad virus.

Then again, I take care of my computer.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

I'd have to say XP has been the most stable, trouble-free OS I've ever run.

I was thinking of getting a new Mobo, CPU and RAM but concern over outlets for board pluging items won't match my case and all that so after 3 years I was thinking of a new machine. We'll see.....
Khaldore
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Khaldore »

My only complaint as far as Dell goes is this: the Dimension 2400 my fiancé's dad owns shipped with a defective power supply, which burned itself out a few months later (and was replaced within a week by a very professional and well-mannered tech). Other than that, for a low-budget system, there was never a lick of problem out of it. I'd certainly own a Dell... though I'd have to upgrade the <censored> out of it. :D

- Mike
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

Yes a more stout video card is always in order. Say A 3.2 gig P4 with 1 gig of fast RAM on an 800 mhz FSB and a 256MB graphics card should do it.
USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova »

Make that an AMD 64.
Its been a while.