Survey: Offical Modding Kit Proposal

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Survey: Offical Modding Kit Proposal

Post by CaptSyf » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:42 pm

Hello all,

Ok, I know we've all talked about wanting access to the Armada games codes and such. Well, I have a proposal. Contact the folks at TrekUnited and see if they would help us aquire our goals. However, my idea is a little more complex than just this. I would like some serious input here, and not hear any "it's a fat chance in HE-double-L". I know it's a long shot.

My Idea is this: If Activision/Maddoc would agree, then we modders are willing to BUY a kit from them. The kit would contain their original development tools for the games. This would include a printable list of everything coded into the games. I'd like to see a option for making secondary header files that would allow for new features (classlabels and such). I'd also like to see a new set of patches for the games, that will make them work "100%" on WinXP / DX9* including all hardware acceleration working and sound functions working properly.

They could use the money made off of the kit sales to pay for the development of the new patches.

Price: I'm figuring such a package would worth $50.00 usd to $200.00 usd (each copy)
On this part, I am looking for a figure to present to the companies on how many people would actually buy such a package. They could also control the files with an activation code or something, as to help prevent any misuse of the files. Also, I'm sure the admins on the Armada sites would look into any reports of bad files on the sites.

Now what I'm interested in finding out, is how many modders would be interested in this idea. It boils down to this, there is not going to be an Armada 3, at least not in any forseen future. Also, they will most likely never release the source code to either game.

Overall, if this project was a success, then may even start a trend in the game industry with other companies and games following suite.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:01 pm

sounds like a good idea ...

Greathor
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Greathor » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:26 pm

Sounds good,

For A2 files however, I contacted Activision and 4 times in a row they said that they had no plans to release them. However, with a stromg support backup, it might just happen, then all current mods will be tiny compared to what could be created, hehe
McCoy:
My God!

Kirk:
Yes, I suppose I am.

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:33 pm

That's the idea, is to get TrekUnited to serve as the community rep. This way, Activision knows it's dealing with a force that is willing to do "whatever" it takes to get their attention.

Hammer
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Hammer » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:50 pm

I say go for it man. I whould pay $200 for it and i cant even mod that well.
They say im crazy. Well i tell them if you think im crazy just look at my family there CRAZY!!!

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:16 pm

£25 providing access to literally two new games, however you want...intriging...

I say it's good! I'm not a modeller but this DOES get my attention. Whether I would personally pay though is another matter, which I think some people may have a problem with, espeically if it fails, how would they get their money back?

Still, I hope it wokrs, like every other plan to get the codes.
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:12 pm

See, it's not about getting the money up front. It's about Activision selling the the kit. I'm just talking about getting TrekUnited and the community involved in making it happen. I figure with enough support, and some statistics to present to Activision/Maddoc, that they may be interested in doing this.

Basically, if 100 people wanted this kit, and activision decided to make it available for $100.00, then they would make $10,000.00 off the kit from 100 people buying it from Activision. See where I'm going with this.

Greathor
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Greathor » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:38 pm

If activision is need of money, this might really work, think of everything you could do.
McCoy:
My God!

Kirk:
Yes, I suppose I am.

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:58 pm

Well, I don't think Activision is in any need. But I understand that money talks, the rest walks in this capitalistic world of ours. When talking money, then they may listen, just maybe.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:08 am

Well. In theory its a very good idea and I say try it. However, dont' be dissapointed if the results are very poor indeed.

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:26 am

It's a nice idea. But I would only pay at max $150 Australian which is roughly about $75 US.

Still I have to agree with MAP here, it's worth a shot but I am not too sure that Activision will release it.

Also who/what are TrekUnited?

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:07 am

TrekUnited are the people, along with the SaveEnterprise group, that rallied to get a 4th season of Enterprise. They got it! However, to their disappointment, they worked hard on convincing Paramount to do a 5th season, but lost the battle. So, I figure at least if we could get them on the modding community's side, then we may have a fighting chance at getting something out of Activision-Maddoc.

Now on a sour note, With the discovery of the F.O. hacked EXE, I fear this will only serve to harm the community. This info being given to Activision-Maddoc may do more damage than good.

Hardyous
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Hardyous » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:42 am

it sounds a great idea, its only becuase of modding that armada and armada 2 have lasted so long. i was done with the games when i found the modding side- that made it so much better. better than it was by far.

would this model thing only be needed for the developers of new things, or would it be a reqired thing to use the stuff created?
Hardyous
Future tense Federation Physics creator
[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/Hardyous/smallersig.jpg[/img]

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:19 pm

I say go for it, it would do more help than harm :) im willing to pay about $80 my self
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:59 pm

Well, the idea is that with a "licenced" kit, people could create new features with it that have not been possible to date. That's the basis for the whole idea, is to convince Activision and Maddoc that there is money to be made off of us modders. The code is old, so it's not like it's really making them any money. But why not, since there is a community of 10,000+ modders. If they could slap together a kit of the actual tools that they used during the developement (inhouse tools that haven't been released), plus give us a list of all hard coded functions (not the source code) and sell it to each of us that are willing to buy it. They could make a little extra money off of the game that way, without investing much time into it.