Attention music lovers who bought cds in the last year

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

Dispicable bastards. I hate that kind of shameless use of customers.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to
JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 »

I really hope someday somebody will find a way to make a program that coorupts the data collected by the spyware. And hopefully it corrupts the data into something like a virus, destroying ALL the computers of the spyware company (shortcircuit them). Or turn their computers agains them, by turning them into Terminator robots, or a rapidly expanding fireball containing the company's building.
Join me and together we will mod the universe.
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

Elrond wrote:The flaw is exposed, the pieces are moving. Hopefully from this, Sony will be forced to either shape up or face the consequences, but they got some good lawyers on their side. Breaking through that will take tens of thousands of pages of legal papers. :? But who knows. Hopefully they do get sued for this and lose the case.
well you know what they say, 'shape up or ship out'.

Now can someone explain what i just read. I'm sorry but that first site made about as much sense to me as quantum physics would to a mouse (or me for that matter.)
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

Ok, it basically this. Current Sony CDs have a copy protection on them that can only be ran on software that's on the CD. However, the Sony CD can only be ran on a computer by installing a SOny player on your computer. But, it doesn't list the files and what they do, when installing them. Now the player software "Hides" the system root files, and it also attaches your CD-ROM Drive to the Sony software. There is no removal process that is easy for the "Average" person. The average person would have no clue how to even try to remove the software. Now, If you do try to remove the files Sony puts on your computer, then basically removes the CD-ROM drivers from windows. Also, the program will "Hide" ANY thing that has an *sys* in front of the filename, including EXE files, even if they are in the Starup menu of your computer. However, Sony does not Tell you this in the EULA (End User's License Agreement - That would be you!), so there for is NOT getting your permission to put this software on your computer. Also, ALL Software in the world has to be able to be Uninstalled from your computer at your choosing by most Country and State Laws, in most Countries. Now, if I were to write a virus, and label it with the *sys* in front of the file name, then Sony's software would hide that virus, making it unseen by even your anti-virus software. So, this means that your computer is wide open for attack from viruses like that, and Sony did not ask you if it's OK to do this to you. And, If you try to remove that files related to Sony's program, there goes your CD-ROM drive with it. It would take the average person, sending your computer to the shop to be reformated to fix this. Also, you would lose any files on your system that are not backed up. And If your system Backup has any of these Sony files on it, when you replace the files back on to your drive, there is a HIGH risk that the same thing will happen again.

With this said, Sony has broken the Law in most Countries now, and are also subjecting you to total system failure, and loss of ALL important files, and your Backup files too. And they Say they have that right, to protect themselves from file Downloaders and Pirates.
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

why couldn't he have said it like that for the average man and then gone into the details for everyone else. oh well

i dont buy many music CD's any more anyways i mostly buy music on iTunes. but it's nice to know what kind of idiots out there think they have a right to sacrifice individual privacy to protect the large corporation from losing a few pennys because of... well, penny pinchers. (kinda backed my self into a corner there, runnin out of words.)

i guess this means i should actually read the EULA sometimes.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

But the good news is that some people are actually going to sue the POOP out of them. And to thing that they were more worried about files downloaders... Ha ha ha ha, Now they really have some thing to worry about. I look forward to Sony filing for bankruptcy.
cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 »

heres a good comic lol now thats a classic lol
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?i ... de=classic
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

cecilzero1 Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:16 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres a good comic lol now thats a classic lol
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?i ... de=classic
Hahah, nice one.
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

Sony....those wacky Japs! 8) :lol:
The Borg will rock your world!
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

I was reading yesterday that there is a case being filed by the State of Texas against Sony... Because Sony is in Violation of the law. 8O

As the song goes: Mmmm, God bless Texas! :lol:
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...