Attention music lovers who bought cds in the last year

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Attention music lovers who bought cds in the last year

Post by cecilzero1 »

read this

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/1 ... ights.html its very scarey :?

post on what u think...
USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova »

I heard about that, luckly I haven't bought any cds ^^
Its been a while.
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

Be in mind folks, This is in ALL of Sony's CDs and DVDs. This is even in the Games. GameDemos by Sony also have been discovered to do this. So, if you do not want these little Spyware Programs installed on your *sys*tem, then you better stay away from ALL of Sony's media.

I have Added Sony to my boycott List. No more Sony! This is what I will do until they stop their rubbish.
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

What a bunch of weenies they are!
The Borg will rock your world!
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

Good thing playstation games STAY on the playstation!

Well, it's a bit bad how they can do this. Then they complain people are using illegal downloads if music via the various methods - if they didn't contain so much hidden poop and CD's weren't so expensive, I doubt many people would be illegally downloading music.

Anyhow, my two pence.
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

Seems to me that companies like Sony think that they are too big to be bothered by the law. Those type of companies really anger me. I should have been a lawyer. I'd be first in line to take them down.

Anyone know of any really clever lawyers, here's a chance for one to make a big name for themselves.
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

Gimme 10 year Syf lol

Still, I wonder if anything IS actually going to happen?
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"
Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius »

Dang, don't they realize that they're now reinforcing the idea that these little pirate dweebs are trying to propogate about not buying CD's?! One thing I'd never considered is if someone knew about the "cloaking" software being installed on someone's computer, then they could exploit it and dump in viruses and other spyware (since the software remains active but completely undetectable by standard virus scans) and the user would never know it. Like the guy said, to make Notepad.EXE disappear all he had to do was add in "$sys$" to the front of the name. The program was still there, and would still run, he just couldn't see it. A gap in security of this level could devastate any system for something as trivial as listening to a CD. The irony being that the CD promotes itself as being "protected". :roll:
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

jolt wrote:Gimme 10 year Syf lol

Still, I wonder if anything IS actually going to happen?
Probably not until it infects a defense computer or Gates's personal computer.

The D.O.J. would rather go after small time offenders like some college kid. One that can't afford a lawyer, rather than actually go after a big fish like Sony that has a league of lawyers on it's payroll.

Note to self: If you want to get away with making viruses, own a big company. :idea:
Hardyous
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Hardyous »

i doubt it will be too long before music downloads (legit ones) are the primary source of new music, i think if and when that happens stuff like copy protection will just be so hard coded that they wont have to do this sort of things with physical discs.
Hardyous
Future tense Federation Physics creator
[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/Hardyous/smallersig.jpg[/img]
MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne »

If someone had the forethought to do low priced music downloads when MP3 was still new it woul dhave killed of the cd music industry long ago. The problem is companies are realising that this and its just to late to start. Instead, you get the likes of Sony, who think they are way above the law, but like illegal music downloading, its just as illegal to install something on a users pc without their knowledge. Still. All it takes is for some rich doofus to go after them with plenty of cash and bingo.
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

When you think about it hidden tracking programs don't do a damned thing really, for the tracker. So they know you visit a web site about classic cars, jet planes, kitchen gadgets or WW 2. Does this end up as simply more spam in the mail box that we're going to delete without reading anyhow? So what's the point? Even legitimate real world surveys are tentative at best in determining what consumers are into. Just because someone says something on a survey or visits a website doesn't create any substantial conclusions that anyone can bank on.

The music companies missed the boat on early downloading where they could have created a safe, legitimate, inexpensive system to sell music. They passed on that- guess their surveys werte wrong- and Napster and other exploited it. Now they want back in and want to dominate everything. These power tantrums get real tiring to consumers.
The Borg will rock your world!
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

The war is on....

Take a look at this...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051111/ap_ ... protection
cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 »

yeah i saw the news on that earlyier..... well i hope song gets their arses sued
Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond »

The flaw is exposed, the pieces are moving. Hopefully from this, Sony will be forced to either shape up or face the consequences, but they got some good lawyers on their side. Breaking through that will take tens of thousands of pages of legal papers. :? But who knows. Hopefully they do get sued for this and lose the case.
Like the rest of the world, I am a lunatic. Nothing special here.